Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 21, 2007   #16
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hey Maupin - interesting you say that. I find it very variable - some seasons bland, a few delicious...I am actually growing it out because I need fresh seed. What is unusual about it is how far up the stem the blossoms actually start forming! It is also one of the most vigorous growers I've seen. Hoping this year it finds its flavor - it really is inferior in that regard to Lillian's Yellow (and yes, Lucky Cross beats em both easily!)
Old May 21, 2007   #17
gardenmama
Tomatovillian™

Favorite Cherry types:
Sun Gold Hybrid
Black Cherry
Coyote

Larger slicers:
Cherokee Purple
KBX (Kellogg's Breakfast Potato Leaf)
Earl's Faux
Burgundy Traveler
Stump of the World
Tennessee Heirloom
Jeff Davis
Druzba
Old May 21, 2007   #18
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Black Cherry is by far my favorite cherry. Imade the mistake of bringing them into work last year and I had to grow 12 extra plants for coworkers who were nuts about them. (They are paying a buck each too!)

My favorite regular tomatoes are:

Early:

Bloody Butcher
Moskvich
Campbells
Silvery Fir Tree

Midseason:

Brandywine
Aunt Gerties Gold
Cherokee Purple

Late:

Ramapo
New Big Dwarf
Big Zac
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007   #19
Liz
Tomatovillian™

Gosh, there are so many good tasting tomatoes. But, like you, I'm always searching for the best tasting. This yr., I'm looking for the 'mater that's full bodied, robust, slightly tart. Yes, if it sounds like I'm describing wine the adjectives are the same. The best tasting tomato I've ever eaten is Brandywine OTV. Unfortunately, here in south carolina, it sometimes succumbs to disease. Even when it does not, it's not a prolific bearer.... but. ahhh. the fruits are divine.
Good luck, Bethy
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007   #20
rodger
Tomatovillian™

Bethy wait till taste some of the ones at this years festival. Brandywine will never enter your mind when it comes to taste and production. I agree it is a good tomato. But does not produce well he in SC. But ohh so many others that do. Rodger
rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007   #21
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodger View Post
Bethy wait till taste some of the ones at this years festival. Brandywine will never enter your mind when it comes to taste and production. I agree it is a good tomato. But does not produce well he in SC. But ohh so many others that do. Rodger
Rodger, what are some of your favorites for taste and production? I'd love to hear your picks since our climates are kind of similar.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007   #22
Liz
Tomatovillian™

Hello!!!
It's so touching, really sincerely, touching, that 3 of your favorite tomatoes are Cherokee. Cherokee Purple, Cherokee Green, Cherokee Chocolate.... no that's knowing your tomatoes. I'm growing Black form Tula, how does that taste compared to any of the Cherokee's ? So far my fav. taste tomato is Brandywine, but it really doesn't do well here in our ever so hot summers. Be well, Bethy
Old May 25, 2007   #23
Liz
Tomatovillian™

Hey, Rodger,
I am so ready to find a 'mater that tastes as good as Brandywine! I keep growing it here in Chapin, even tho' it hates it here.... Hmmm.... must be kind of dim I guess.
I'm asuming that you got my note about helping out at the little Mtn. reunioun. Meanwhile, did you see my message on the events board with my quandry over bugs in pots? I'm doing bug soap, daconil, and sevin!!! Heck, those pots are toxic waste sites!! Take care. Bethy
Old May 25, 2007   #24
CLa
Tomatovillian™

I just used the Dr. Bronner's baby mild soap for the first time on my plants. gonna give them a day or 2 and see if there is any sign of plant reaction to the soap. If all is well gonna try a slightly higher concentration let sit for maybe an hour then rinse the place. I'm shootin for stink bugs.
I also bought some peppermint Dr Bronners, used it in the shower. Good stuff, that was last night an I still feel clean
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007   #25
Liz
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, for the tip.
I haven't seen Dr. Bronners baby soap. But it really infuriates me that bugs are moving in on my potted (read protected) tomatoes in pots on my deck.
Old May 26, 2007   #26
Gardenfresh
Tomatovillian™

I can honestly say I never met a tomato I didn't like. That said, my top 3 favorites are:

#1 Great White
#2 Aunt Ruby's German Green
#3 Yellow Brandywine
Gardenfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007   #27
Amy_PNW
Tomatovillian™

Here's a few:

Cherokee Purple or Cherokee Chocolate (supposedly the same with different color skin)
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Mexico
Earl's Faux Red Brandywine
Sungold
Glacier
Pruden's Purple
Stump of the World
Golden Boy
Fantastic
Opalka
Most of the "sweet" cherries are pretty good
Thai Pink
Amy_PNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007   #28
celticman
Tomatovillian™

Default A short list will only a few comments:

Black Cherry A must every year
Sungold Hybrid (alots of post a attempt to dehybridize)
Mexian Midget Peas sized blast of tomatoe flavor

Pineapple Bicolor a real pain to grow but my wife likes it
Green Giant
Cherokee Purple
Brandywine

All the above are the must have list add twenty or so to grow every few years and twenty or so I have yet to trail and you end up with about six plant a good number to grow
Celtic
celticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2007   #29
Maltesecross
Tomatovillian™

Default Not a tomato expert!

This is my very very first post on these forums. This year I've planted several heirloom varieties which I've never tried before. I've grown tomatoes for many years but never ventured far from Hybrid Celebrity, just because I do all my canning all at once. I can hardly wait to to test the different varieties so that I can find out what I really love.

Here's what I'm trying this year: Amish Paste, Roma, San Marzano, Rutgers, Brandywine Red, Lemon Boy, and a cherry tomato whose variety escapes me.

It's been interesting to see that Brandywines are favoured by a lot of folks here. There are tons of flowers and small fruit on mine and I'm very excited.

TomatoLover

P.S. I'm from Southern Ontario and tomatoes will be ripening here in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited by Maltesecross; July 10, 2007 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Need to add my location
Maltesecross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2007   #30
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Craig,

Interesting you mention the unusual growth of the Hugh's. I'm a first time OP grower and I'm experiencing the same on three I'm growing in my home garden. I'm growing one each of Cherokee Purple, German Johnson and Mortgage Lifter. All three plants are approaching 6' in height and still growing, but the flowers and fruits I have, start at about 3'-4'.

Is this a normal characteristic for the three I have growing at home?

I have three others, Green Zebra, Brandywine Pink and Mr, Stripey growing at a community garden, they are about 3'-4' tall and full of fruit.

Do I have too much nitrogen in the soil at home?

Thanks
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote