Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 11, 2021   #16
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
If you are at your computer an easy way is to type convert 50 Celsius to Fahrenheit. It will get here before you finish typing. The answer is immediate and at the top. This convert function works for many other conversions.
Thank you. I've got it.
Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2021   #17
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan HP View Post
Not very different from here. Has the temperature dropped below 32°F this winter? I am trying to estimate which zone our climate is similar to. Maybe 5.
Milan HP
We are in 6a.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2021   #18
atilgan
Tomatovillian™

There are two zones. If you can grow fig trees you are in good zone otherwise you are in bad zone.
atilgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2021   #19
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

A very Turkish response! In Georgia, it would be peach trees.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2021   #20
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

No, no figs here.Maybe in a few years, who knows.
And "a" is with lower extreme minimum temperatures than "b". 6a then threatens with -23.3°C/-10°F. 5b (probable in my garden) -26.1°C/-15°F.
They say it's based on the very lowest temp in a given year. Do they really change the maps every year? And snow coverage is not included.

So, Vladimir, you have to take that into account as you grow crops over the winter.
What a bright boy I am!
Milan HP
Old January 12, 2021   #21
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan HP View Post
No, no figs here.Maybe in a few years, who knows.
And "a" is with lower extreme minimum temperatures than "b". 6a then threatens with -23.3°C/-10°F. 5b (probable in my garden) -26.1°C/-15°F.
They say it's based on the very lowest temp in a given year. Do they really change the maps every year? And snow coverage is not included.

So, Vladimir, you have to take that into account as you grow crops over the winter.
What a bright boy I am!
Milan HP
As for tomatoes, it is irrelevant what the lowest temperatures are in our country. This is important for hůavně trees, vines guilt, etc., which can freeze.
Otherwise, you forget that I live in South Moravia, where wine is grown and also the mentioned peaches. I looked at the history of measurements and the lowest measured temperature was 24.1.1942 at -25 ° C. In this century, the temperature has dropped below -20 ° C only once in January 2006. I'm not afraid of my cauliflower. They can last up to -18 ° C and I also have a tunnel on them, which increases the temperature by about 2 ° C. So the limit temperature is -20 ° C, but it would have to be longer, more than an hour. And it's even warmer in Atlanta, I know, because I watch PGA golf and I see it on TV.
Vladimír

Last edited by MrBig46; January 12, 2021 at 03:15 AM.
Old January 12, 2021   #22
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

True it is warmer in Atlanta, but you don't see Atlanta on PGA golf. You see Augusta, which is 900 feet lower in altitude, and near the Atlantic Ocean, hence warmer.
Old January 12, 2021   #23
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry, I somehow confused the two names Atlanta, of course, means the 1996 Summer Olympics to me. I would probably also need a course on US geography.
Vladimír
Old January 12, 2021   #24
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
I'm sorry, I somehow confused the two names Atlanta, of course, means the 1996 Summer Olympics to me. I would probably also need a course on US geography.
Vladimír
No problem: this thread is running and judging by what's been happening so far, locals will always be willing to answer your and my questions. They are nice people. And patriots, too.
Milan HP
Old January 12, 2021   #25
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

The 1996 summer Olympic games means a huge amount of work preparing the Bell communications network to handle the surge of voice traffic. We worked night and day installing new telephone equipment throughout North Georgia, especially in and around Atlanta. There were frayed tempers and bone wearying nights of hard work involved.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2021   #26
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Milan HP;761155 Do they really change the maps every year?
[/QUOTE]

The US Department of Agriculture uses an average low temperature to determine hardiness zones. The last adjustment was in 2012. Each zone is an indication of a 10 degree F difference in average low temperature. A and B shows a 5 degree F difference.

As temperatures seem to be getting warmer, the averages over a ten year period may not reflect hardiness zones accurately. I would guess another change may be coming soon. Fifteen years seemed to be the change date in the past. I predict it will adjust every ten or eight years in the future.

My zone on the map is 5, but actually we are more in the 6 zone over the past five years or maybe even more. Hardiness does not take into account moisture, snowfall, heat or several other factors, only average low temps.
Old January 12, 2021   #27
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

You are right. We are getting tropical plants such as bananas surviving the winters here in Atlanta now, and a few years ago, none would have survived. We still can't grow outdoor citrus though!
Old January 12, 2021   #28
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

I believe the same applies to here. Yes, years differ from each other sometimes even quite dramatically, but generally speaking average temps are going up. The up-hill is very gentle, almost imperceptible, but it's there. Global warming is taking place. We'll see what happens in the next, say, ten years.
Milan HP
Old June 9, 2021   #29
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Taste Vocabulary

Hello,
I am afraid I need some more help. I've just realized how insufficient my vocabulary is if I want to describe the taste of a tomato. I know just a few basic words like sour, sweet, juicy, fleshy, meaty and some words that express different levels of quality. That's why I use a scale of 10. But that isn't enough either.

Could anyone suggest some more advanced and sophisticated words? Thank you.
Milan HP
Old June 9, 2021   #30
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Milan,

I find it easy, only need 2 words...good and bad .

Actually, I would personally throw sweet and tart in there as well.

But remember, taste is quite subjective, and therefore difficult to describe. What I think is delicious, you might think is terrible.

Tags
category , fruit size , plant size