Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 21, 2016   #16
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

My best producers have been, Cosmonaut Volkov, Thessaloníki , Rose , Mariana's Peace , Al-Kuffa , Black Krim , Indian Stripe , Amazon Chocolate , Abe Lincoln , Roma and San Marzano.
Old January 21, 2016   #17
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Early Wonder, Gregori's Altai, Eva Purple Ball, Box Car Willie, Muleteam, Druzba, Red Brandywine, Nepal, 1884, and Old Brooks are some very good candidates for red/pink slicers in a range from early to mid-season maturity. These varieties have proven to be excellent producers in your climate.

If you want sauce or paste, try Costoluto Genovese and/or Heidi.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2016   #18
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Knew I forgot something! Costoluto Genovese is among the best of the best. Great producer.
Old January 21, 2016   #19
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Pierce's Pride, a stabilized cross of Black krim x Tappy's Heritage, produced throughout the year for me. It has won the productivity medal twice in my garden, with Odoriko (Eva purple ball cousin) and Black from Tula a close second and third.

PP is a compact plant, loads up nicely, flavor is standard black tomato if there is such a thing, not quite as smokey as others.

if you want a decent sized red with great flavor on a compact plant Cosm Volkov is a great candidate.

A 2nd vote for Ten Huang Tan Chieh, flavor + productivity, and for Gregori's Altai too (productivity stands out)
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2016   #20
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Just curious which you guys think is more productive in a hot humid climate.......black krim or black from tula? Not loooking to grow huge tomatoes, just want the most production from a few plants. Not to hi-jack this thread, but I too am interested in this topic. I plan to grow mostly dwarfs, so the full size indeterminate's that I choose need to be productive.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2016   #21
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
Just curious which you guys think is more productive in a hot humid climate.......black krim or black from tula? Not loooking to grow huge tomatoes, just want the most production from a few plants. Not to hi-jack this thread, but I too am interested in this topic. I plan to grow mostly dwarfs, so the full size indeterminate's that I choose need to be productive.
Jillian,
I asked basically the same question but a little different in the thread below. I was asking what is the most prolific and crack free black with the implied best taste. I got a lot of different answers from across the country. Since your in NC and asking about humidity, it looks like Lee (NC) endorses Carbon.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34952
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2016   #22
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al@NC View Post
Jillian,
I asked basically the same question but a little different in the thread below. I was asking what is the most prolific and crack free black with the implied best taste. I got a lot of different answers from across the country. Since your in NC and asking about humidity, it looks like Lee (NC) endorses Carbon.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34952
Thanks Al, great thread! I have no seeds for Carbon, I am however growing Cherokee Carbon which is Cherokee Purple X Carbon. We will see! And thinking of adding Ron's Carbon Copy to my cherrie's list. Other blacks I will grow are Amazon Chocolate, Indian Stripe, Japanese Black Triefle, Dwarf Tasmanian Chocolate, Dwarf Chocolate Lightning, and Black Sea Man (determinate). Wow maybe I have enough blacks already lol.
I am working on my list today, as there is snow and it is now sleeting
36 tomato plants, divided up into cherrie's, dwarfs, determinates, saladette, and full size indeterminates. This is difficult but fun at the same time.
Old January 22, 2016   #23
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Jillian, you really should grow Carbon Copy as it is excellent! I also hear that Cherokee Purple does very well in NC, so your Carbon/CP might do really well!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2016   #24
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Pink Berkeley tie dye is a fun one. Great taste and very productive for me.
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2016   #25
kath
Tomatovillian™

From this past season, the best producers are listed below. Keep in mind I toss badly cat-faced fruits and/or fruits lost to birds and worms and don't weigh them, so they aren't included in the totals. They were grown in cages but pruned to thin them out a bit for air flow. At the end of the season I stopped weighing and counting and none of the smaller fruits that were left on the vines before frost were counted.

#1 Terhune: 30 lbs., 12 oz.; 46 fruits

#2 Rebel Yell: 29 lbs.; 55 fruits

#3 Rebel Yell #2: more than 25 lbs.; 54 fruits (last 10 largest fruits picked green and not weighed; many smaller ones composted at frost time)

#4 Barlow Jap: 26 lbs., 2 oz.; 42 fruits

#5 Not Purple Strawberry: 24 lb., 10 oz.; 35 fruits

#6 Negrillo de Almoguera: 20.11++ lbs.; 43++ fruits; this was a worm favorite- MANY fruits tossed!

Terhune, Barlow Jap and Negrillo de Almoguerra always do well here and the others I've only grown one year but they will be back, mainly because of taste- lots of fruits is just a bonus!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2016   #26
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Jillian, you really should grow Carbon Copy as it is excellent! I also hear that Cherokee Purple does very well in NC, so your Carbon/CP might do really well!

Linda
Thanks Linda, I am growing only 6 cherries so I will probably have to choose between black cherry and carbon copy. Haven't grown either of them. Loved the super sweet 100 last year and loved the taste and productivity, but they were prone to splitting.

KO, I am growing Fred's Tie Dye and am thinking that is similar to PBTD as I think it is a cross between Wild Fred and PBTD.
Old January 22, 2016   #27
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
Thanks Linda, I am growing only 6 cherries so I will probably have to choose between black cherry and carbon copy. Haven't grown either of them. Loved the super sweet 100 last year and loved the taste and productivity, but they were prone to splitting.

KO, I am growing Fred's Tie Dye and am thinking that is similar to PBTD as I think it is a cross between Wild Fred and PBTD.
Old January 22, 2016   #28
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Sort of similar except Fred's Tie dye is a smallish dwarf. PBTD is a big productive indeterminate plant. I have grown both.
KO
Old January 22, 2016   #29
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Sort of similar except Fred's Tie dye is a smallish dwarf. PBTD is a big productive indeterminate plant. I have grown both.
KO
yes Karen, I am focusing on dwarfs. Did you like Fred's Tie Dye?
Old January 22, 2016   #30
Jwb4707
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone tried growing Indian stripe in zone 6a-ish?
Jwb4707 is offline   Reply With Quote