Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 24, 2015   #16
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Pardon my ignorance, I am curious about the color genes again: Are GWR just a mutation / offspring / evolvement of the so-called blacks? or are the genes completely different?
I thought I read somewhere that there is a connection bewteen the greens and the blacks, but I am not sure anymore. (At least GMG is a descendent of Paul Robeson, ain't it?)
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #17
AdrianaG
Tomatovillian™

If you like a tart tomato Green Zebra's the one for you!
AdrianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #18
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

I'm with the Spear's Tennessee Green club on this one also... well , not me personally as I don't like raw tomatoes, they have to be cooked in some way for me, but the wife swoons over STG's.
Old July 24, 2015   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Pardon my ignorance, I am curious about the color genes again: Are GWR just a mutation / offspring / evolvement of the so-called blacks? or are the genes completely different?
I thought I read somewhere that there is a connection bewteen the greens and the blacks, but I am not sure anymore. (At least GMG is a descendent of Paul Robeson, ain't it?)
Here's Tania's page for GMG and note her comment about possible variety instability.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki...b=General_Info

And yes there is a connection between the gf ( green flesh) alleles and blacks.

I hate this b/c what I'm going to link to is missing a lot of good info about the gf alleles, of which there are five, and a series of so called black varieties were assessed as to which of the gf alleles were present and they neatly fell into several groups, that is certain gf alleles were associated with blacks of different origins, and it allowed mulio, aka Keith Mueller, to conclude that Cherkee Purple, for instance, was not a 100 yo variety as John Green said when he sent the seeds to Craig LeHoulier.

And I hate this b'c when Houzz bought out what we knew as Garden Web many of the Faq's as well as info in threads like this one, are missing both data and pictures.

So here it is anyway and read through paying stong attention to what Mulio posted. especially,

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussi...x-red-tomatoes

Best I can do right now unless someone comes along with more information. Mulio did not do the gf analyses and noted the academic paper it came from but that's also missing from the above posts of his as well.

But there are some answers for you in that thead as well,

Carolyn
Old July 25, 2015   #20
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Here's Tania's page for GMG and note her comment about possible variety instability.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki...b=General_Info

And yes there is a connection between the gf ( green flesh) alleles and blacks.

I hate this b/c what I'm going to link to is missing a lot of good info about the gf alleles, of which there are five, and a series of so called black varieties were assessed as to which of the gf alleles were present and they neatly fell into several groups, that is certain gf alleles were associated with blacks of different origins, and it allowed mulio, aka Keith Mueller, to conclude that Cherkee Purple, for instance, was not a 100 yo variety as John Green said when he sent the seeds to Craig LeHoulier.

And I hate this b'c when Houzz bought out what we knew as Garden Web many of the Faq's as well as info in threads like this one, are missing both data and pictures.

So here it is anyway and read through paying stong attention to what Mulio posted. especially,

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussi...x-red-tomatoes

Best I can do right now unless someone comes along with more information. Mulio did not do the gf analyses and noted the academic paper it came from but that's also missing from the above posts of his as well.

But there are some answers for you in that thead as well,

Carolyn

Thanks for the very imformative link Carolyn. It is very interesting reading.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015   #21
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Last year I grew Green Zebra ...didn't like it .
First, I couldn't figure it out when it is ripe.
Second, I just could not accept a green tomato as a good eat. Psychology !
So no more green tomatoes for me. I like all other colors.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015   #22
charline
Tomatovillian™

my new favorite GWR is Wild Thyme, it is just fantastic !
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015   #23
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Carolyn. Interesting info behind the link, though doesn't quite answer my curiosity as to how the mutations on color alleles possibly change the color from black to green. (Chlorophyll production etc... )

I'm growing both GMG and Paul Robeson this year, actually I had GMG last year, loved it and saved seeds that I am growing again this season. So far, it has been stable - potato leaf and so on. It's special to me, as I saved seeds from a fruit I grew. I know it's just routine for all of you tomato gurus, but for me it's a thrill

(One day, I'd love to grow GMG RL, as well - especially if it is even more compact than the PL version!)

Last edited by NarnianGarden; July 25, 2015 at 07:15 AM.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015   #24
AdrianaG
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Last year I grew Green Zebra ...didn't like it .
First, I couldn't figure it out when it is ripe.
Second, I just could not accept a green tomato as a good eat. Psychology !
So no more green tomatoes for me. I like all other colors.
Green Zebra picks up a very subtle hint of yellow when ripe.

As to your other "problem", can't help you there. Maybe visit a qualified mental health professional AKA "Garden Shrink"?
AdrianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015   #25
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Green Doctor's Frosted Cherry is really good, complex and sweet. Everyone that tries 'em for the first time makes that puzzled face. And when I bring in the harvest they seem to disappear first. Large, strong plant.

Green Zebra is tough skinned, but has good taste when picked at the yellow stage and productivity in my garden is outstanding. Great for ceviche.

I've had a tough time with Spear's TN Green this year. Monster trusses but very little fruit set. I'll make up my mind about it in a few months.

ARRG. Mixed feelings. As was already mentioned, really good taste when everything works out.

If I can procure the seeds, I'm gonna try Emerald Giant, and Grubb's Mystery Green. And I have to say the Esmeralda Golosina
C-R recommends looks quite enticing too.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015   #26
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianaG View Post
Green Zebra picks up a very subtle hint of yellow when ripe.

As to your other "problem", can't help you there. Maybe visit a qualified mental health professional AKA "Garden Shrink"?

I am cured ... Just stay away from growing GWR tomatoes.
Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2015   #27
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

The squeeze test

Thumb on bottom of tomato

Index finger on top

Ever so gentle pinch squeeze

If there is any give PICK

IF NOT PINCH TOMORROW
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2015   #28
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I've only grown two GWR. Aunt Ruby's German Green and Grub's Mystery Green.
The Grub's Mystery Green was my favorite of the two. You would probably like Aunt
Ruby's better because it's a little on the tart side.

Last edited by roper2008; July 26, 2015 at 08:04 AM.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2015   #29
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a previous GWR thread from 2013 and while reading it,looking for something, I noted the variety Delano Green Ripe.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=24296

it's not on Tania's list of GWRipes yet, I hope it wil be and perhaps I can remember to send her some seeds.

I offered it in my 2014 seed offer here, seeds were from Neil L who is one of my seed producers, who was the first to SSE list it, he got the seeds from someone in TN and Neil says it's one of THE best GWR he's ever grown/tasted. And that's saying a lot since Neil has grown many thousands of varieties, and lots of GWRipe ones as well, and currently SSE lists about 600 varieties, for SSE members only.

I haven't had time to inventory my 2014 seeds yet. but I do hope I have enough to reoffer it when I put up my now very late 2015 seed offer in a month or so.

So please think Delano Green Ripe. And I can't remember who might have requested it from me here at Tville last year without going through many hoops to check on that./

Carolyn
Old July 26, 2015   #30
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

That gardenwebs link from Carolyn is what I call brain food.

I really have to chew on the data within. And it arises all kinds of questions. Some of which only god knows but I have long suspected "Cherokee Purple" ain't no Native American tomato.
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote