Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old January 18, 2007   #16
creister
Tomatovillian™

slip,
do you just follow directions on the box/container for potted plants, or do you have your own mixing ratio?
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2007   #17
sliphorn
Tomatovillian™

Creister, I estimate. I pre-germinate my seeds by soaking them in water from my fish tank and then they go into little 3 ounce plastic dixie cups. I put roughly an eighth of a teaspoon of Myco into each dixie cup. I was very happy with the health of my plants last year and would like to think the Myco helped.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2007   #18
creister
Tomatovillian™

Did you order it from the internet, or buy it in a store?
Old January 19, 2007   #19
sliphorn
Tomatovillian™

I got it from these guys:

www.ghorganics.com/Endomycorrhizae.html

But I think if you do a Google search for it you'll find a few places that sell it for cheaper than these guys.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2007   #20
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

my reading grew out of me reading about Bokashi composting, I just finished my first batch of innoculant today and wetted the compost/bedding..... it'll culture for a few days, then Ill dry it out and use it.

There are lots of interesting culture ideas and products, and some with really good science behind them. Im trying to do as little purchased inputs as I can....

I started making aerated vermicompost tea last year, and it seems to make plants happier.... I was just wondering WHY?!
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2007   #21
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Garnetmoth and fellow Tvillians. Did a google search on Ectomycorrhizal fungi and came up with a couple interesting sites that might interest you.
http://www.fungi.com/mycogrow/index.html
http://www.tandjenterprises.com/
http://www.horticulturalalliance.com...Stimulants.asp
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2007   #22
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Ami- thanks so much for finding that! Ive heard good things about Fungi Perfecti, and theyve been around for a while. I also prefer products that list the species-

I just might have to try that out!
Old January 21, 2007   #23
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Garnet-I have done bokashi composting in the past-Its fun to do and gives us some compost unlike traditional composting ways. I am going to do a thread on bokashi in general discussion. Please contribute.
Old January 27, 2007   #24
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

ooh! that BioVAM company ships quickly!

I got a small bag of it. Ill start a photojournal soon, ive got a sack of promix.....

Ill report back
Old February 22, 2007   #25
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here is another site I came across that I have also listed in the container forum that might be of interest. Ami
http://www.gardengrounds.com/index.php?cid=58
Also got this link from honu which is also in the growing in containers forum.
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/SCM-5.pdf
Old February 22, 2007   #26
honu
Tomatovillian™

Here's more info on mycorrhizae from the University of Florida:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/AG116
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2007   #27
creister
Tomatovillian™

Should you put this on your plants when you pot up, or wait until I transplant into the garden? Is it okay to use mychrorhizze with rock phosphate?
Old February 22, 2007   #28
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Creister, go to Tandjenterprises website. He has alot of information concerning your questions and he reccomends soft rock phosphate. I put the URL to his site on one of my posts in this thread. Ami
Old February 23, 2007   #29
creister
Tomatovillian™

From what I read, I could use it on the small pots and when I transplant into the garden as well. Will try that in the fall or next year, using it at every stage of seed growing. I also think I am not going to add any fertilizer to the planting hole, as the info at Tandj said any fertilizer, chemical or organic will prohibit the establishment of the mychrorrizae. It also said that they will soluablize (if that's a word) phosphorus in the soil.
Old February 23, 2007   #30
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

creister, I think thats correct. From what I have read If the phosphorous level is to low or to high the mycorrhizal fungus will not form a symbiotic relationship with the plant. Its this relationship that make the nutrients more available to the plant thusly increasing the vigor of the plant.Two weeks prior to planting out you can put organic fertilizer into the soil, cottonseed fertilizer I believe was mentioned as it is low in P. Then set out your plants and add the mycorrhizae in the hole around the root ball. After that don't disturb the soil around the plant as this could disturb the symbiotic relationship that has developed between the fungus and plant . When in dought test your soil. You may not have to add anything to your soil. But planting in containers is a different procedure as your growing medium may not have any nutrients and then you need to amend it. Ami