Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 27, 2015   #16
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My container tomatoes are behind my ones planted in the ground, even the dwarfs that were all started at the same time. But my container peppers are way ahead of the ones in the ground.

Qiyania Huang:
http://i.imgur.com/TLnRyvK.jpg

This is a dwarf variety. It got whiteflies worse than any other plants I had. Despite that, it pumped out some big nice tomatoes. Flavor was good, very few seeds.

More dwarfs: http://i.imgur.com/bZ1Rznf.jpg

Cyril's Choice, Mano, Summertime Green, Sweet Sue, Jade Beauty, Bosky Chabarovsky.

Finally, some Ping Tung Long eggplant: http://i.imgur.com/285C8G3.jpg
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2015   #17
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Lookin good Cole. Those eggplant are a pretty bunch.
Looking at blue skies overhead, with a nice breeze.
Hopefully the Cards can get there game in. Rain headed that way now.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2015   #18
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks.

It just hit me that Sweet Sue is supposed to be a small red tomato, not a large yellow one. So I have no idea what that is. I don't think I started any dwarfs that are supposed to be big yellow tomatoes.
Old June 27, 2015   #19
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

looks like Dwarf Sweet Sue is correct .......

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Dwarf_Sweet_Sue
Old June 27, 2015   #20
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

What did you think of Cyril's Choice?

It wasn't very productive for me (grown in a container) last winter, but I'm wondering if it would be happier in the ground.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2015   #21
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
looks like Dwarf Sweet Sue is correct .......

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Dwarf_Sweet_Sue
Oh crap! Thank you for that. I had it mixed up with what is apparently the non-dwarf sweet sue: http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Sweet_Sue
Old June 27, 2015   #22
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
What did you think of Cyril's Choice?

It wasn't very productive for me (grown in a container) last winter, but I'm wondering if it would be happier in the ground.

Linda
I haven't tasted them yet, but I grew a Mano next to it, another dwarf. It had bigger tomatoes and a larger yield.
Old June 27, 2015   #23
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks!

Linda
Old June 28, 2015   #24
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I just tasted the Mano and the Cyril's Choice. Both of them are just excellent. I saved seeds from both. Cyril's Choice is more acidic and has more bite. Mano is more citrusy and light. Both of them are sweet, juicy, and taste very good. They are both grow-agains for me.
Old June 29, 2015   #25
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The Bosky Chabarovsky were very good. They look almost exactly like peaches - pink with fuzzy skin. The skin is actually more tender than on a lot of my other tomatoes and not unpleasant at all to eat.

Jade Beauty was a little tart, more so than Summertime Green, but I liked both of them. Jade Beauty is very beautiful; that's a good name choice.

All of my dwarfs have been great. Sleeping Lady is the one exception. That plant didn't seem to make any tomatoes.

I have a Tiger-like in the high tunnel. For some reason, I thought it was a dwarf variety. That was very wrong. It's 7' tall now. The first tomato I had wasn't good, but I don't think it was ripe. I had one today that had turned fully red, with the stripes barely visible, and it was pretty good. I don't think I will grow it again, though. There are a lot of newer and I think better striped varieties out now.
Old June 29, 2015   #26
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Many thanks for the taste review. I'm putting Cyril's Choice and Cole on my grow list for next year!

Linda
Old June 30, 2015   #27
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You're welcome.

Today's pic is the whoppers! http://i.imgur.com/1zIIMIi.jpg

Titan Red on top. Mikhalych is the biggest. Grightmire's pride next to that. The ones marked RG are Raspberry Giant. And you can probably read it, but Sweet Sue is on the bottom.
Old June 30, 2015   #28
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Is there two different varieties of Grightmire's pride? I have one that is heart. Not sure.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #29
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Interesting. Mine looks just like Brandywine, unless I made a mistake with the labeling. I have a written map of my plants; I will check it again when I can.
Old July 2, 2015   #30
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Whatever my Grightmire's is, I just tried it, and it wasn't that great. But this has been the wettest June on record for my location. I saved seeds anyway.

Today's pic is Fuzzy Wuzzy: http://i.imgur.com/H1oWdnT.jpg

The taste was more tart than sweet, but it wasn't bad. I saved seeds, mostly to raise the plants to sell. It is a unique variety with a great name.

The Mikalych was very good. It is my new favorite big red heirloom. Titan Red, which is determinate, is going to be my high tunnel red next year. Mikalych will be my outdoor garden indeterminate red.

Amethyst Cream is my best cherry so far. It's the only blue & yellow I have grown, or even seen, and it definitely has won a spot in my cherry mix next year. Sun Peach F1 has been the other surprise cherry standout. I will grow it again. Sun Lemon is a dud. Sun Chocola is ok. I'm not a fan of Sun Green, either. It wasn't worth the money. I like Fred Hempel's Lucky Tiger and Green Tiger better.

Matt's Wild Cherry is the best tasting tomato that I will never grow again in the garden. It's tiny and doesn't fill up a box. But I saved a lot of seeds, because I know the plants will sell well in the spring.

Brown Berry is a nice variety. But it looks exactly like Black Cherry. I can't tell them apart.

All of the dwarfs have been great in this rainy weather. They have handled the wet conditions very well. Flavor is still a little watered down, but overall the dwarfs are my best tasting tomatoes.