Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 14, 2015   #16
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueaussi View Post
I'm not an old olbie, but I posted a lot for awhile; then life got busy, and I didn't post for several years. This spring I was talking to a co-worker foolish enough to ask me a tomato question, and I noticed that glazed look with eyes jerking involuntarily towards the clock.

I thought maaaaybeeee I should go talk to people who _ like_ talking about tomatoes...
I have seen that glazed look many times. I never give up. Occasionally it sticks.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2015   #17
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
It is sad when we lose what I consider to be luminaries like an early founder Suze from Bastrop, Tx. Her advice, methods, garden pictures and seed sharing were absolutely critical in getting me from a clueless city boy who liked tomatoes to being a full fledged tomatoholic and reasonably successful heirloom grower. I miss her and others.
Not to detract from the thread, but I did want to comment on this.

I too miss Suze and her contributions to gardening and this site in particular. I miss our long talks and occasional visits to trade seeds, sample varieties, strolling through garden centers, and of course co-hosting SETTFest. I still talk to her a couple of times a year on the phone and she's completely gotten away tomatoes and made a lot of health-related changes in her life which I hope work out for her. I do hope some day she'll come back.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2015   #18
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueaussi View Post
I'm not an old olbie, but I posted a lot for awhile; then life got busy, and I didn't post for several years. This spring I was talking to a co-worker foolish enough to ask me a tomato question, and I noticed that glazed look with eyes jerking involuntarily towards the clock.

I thought maaaaybeeee I should go talk to people who _ like_ talking about tomatoes...
Ahh yes the I know this look well and I wonder too why others don't find it interesting. My wife's mom was remarking on my tomato plants and ask about my HJBs, when I told her they were a blue tomato she said "I thought all tomatoes were red" Then when I started explaining how the antho was bred into it etc she quickly changed the subject.

Blueaussi I see you live in SC, may I ask what part? Maybe we could swap some seeds/plants and talk maters sometime.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2015   #19
creister
Tomatovillian™

I've been wanting to ask about two people and that is Bully and Gimmie Three. It was Gimmie Three who emailed me and invited me to join here, and I am glad he did.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2015   #20
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Ahh yes the I know this look well and I wonder too why others don't find it interesting. My wife's mom was remarking on my tomato plants and ask about my HJBs, when I told her they were a blue tomato she said "I thought all tomatoes were red" Then when I started explaining how the antho was bred into it etc she quickly changed the subject.
A confession: when I wrote an e-mail to my professor some weeks ago, I included a detailed description of some of the tomatoes I'm growing this year. This is a person with extended knowledge of European / Russian / world history, and I thought he might find etimology of different varieties interesting.
For some reason, he never mentioned anything about the tomato part
It probably went down under my all round insanity. poor professors are paid to bear patiently when their students go wild
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2015   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post

I too miss Suze and her contributions to gardening and this site in particular. I miss our long talks and occasional visits to trade seeds, sample varieties, strolling through garden centers, and of course co-hosting SETTFest. I still talk to her a couple of times a year on the phone and she's completely gotten away tomatoes and made a lot of health-related changes in her life which I hope work out for her. I do hope some day she'll come back.
It's not a detraction for me and I'm very glad you posted what you did b'c for many years we were very good friends and she called me, and me her, several times a WEEK.

I'm especially glad to hear that she made a lot of health-related changes in her life as well which I too hope they not only work out well for her, but more so will be permanent changes.

Carolyn
Old May 14, 2015   #22
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post

Oh I too miss Suze. She gave me some of the first Captain Lucky seeds - and that still might be my favorite tomato. I'm glad she is doing well.
Old May 14, 2015   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by creister View Post
I've been wanting to ask about two people and that is Bully and Gimmie Three. It was Gimmie Three who emailed me and invited me to join here, and I am glad he did.
Bully joined in Jan of 2006 and last visited Nov 18th, 2013 And he did post a lot but I think I remember that there were some not nice things happening with his personal life and some personal changes, but I didn't take the time to go back and try to confirm that.

Gimme3 also joined in Jan of 2006 and was only here for two years and last visited Aug 17, 2008.

Carolyn, just noting that Mischka first opened Tville in Jan, 2006
Old May 14, 2015   #24
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I miss a number of TVillian's also. Dice contributed a lot when he was here. He has not posted in a quite a while. Hope he is doing well.

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2015   #25
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

"dcarch" and "Brazos Valley Gardener" always had very interesting perspectives on their growing approaches. Wonder how both of them are doing.....

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2015   #26
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post

Blueaussi I see you live in SC, may I ask what part? Maybe we could swap some seeds/plants and talk maters sometime.
I'm down around Columbia, and I work at USC. Talking maters sounds great, but I will confess I am not the world's greatest seed saver. I'll be glad to swap what I have, though.

We seem to be building up a fair number of South Carolinians in Tomatoville. Maybe this would be a good year to encourage folks to head to Little Mountain for Splatt. i spoke with Rodger at the Midlands Flower Festival, and he is very busy; but he is still planning on holding the tomato tasting.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2015   #27
peebee
Tomatovillian™

What a coincidence that I was thinking about the older members I miss too! It always saddened me to hear if someone passed on, but to NOT hear anything, just silence, worries me more. Especially when a member used to actively post, then nothing.
Which makes me wonder: do any of you have a plan in place, to let others here know when you will no longer be posting, either thru an illness or death? I was thinking of having a family member know my user name/password so that you would know if anything happened to me. Just a narcissist way of thinking that some of you cared.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2015   #28
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

That reminds me of a recent news story about facebook:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31438707
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015   #29
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
"dcarch" and "Brazos Valley Gardener" always had very interesting perspectives on their growing approaches. Wonder how both of them are doing.....

Raybo
Yes, I often wonder about what dcarch is up to now. He had so many useful ideas for a home gardener, and his plates of sliced tomato dishes were artistic creations for the eye and palate.

I post less than I used to, though I check in almost every day. I find I am repeating myself on the same subjects dear to my heart, so fading back and letting newer folks with more enthusiasm take up the conversation seems like the way to go.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015   #30
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Dice, dcarch, Suze and Bully some of which also posted at the SSE forum have been missed. They keep pooping up when I do searches on old threads. A lot of valuable information is in the TVille archives and all you have to do is let your fingers do the searching.

Ami