Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 19, 2009   #16
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

OK Ami this product I might be able to afford. If I find out I can order it do you think it would be too late to use since plants will be in the ground? Or would is still be possible to use like a drench?
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2009   #17
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Kat, click on the link above that says "Buy Me." It will take you to the page that's where Ami is talking about! I just tried it for fun... and it works.

~* Robin
Old March 19, 2009   #18
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

When I checked it I put 2 of the 5.95 ones in my shopping cart to see what shipping would be. It estimated shipping to be 2.91 to my zip. Pretty reasonable!
Kat
Old March 19, 2009   #19
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Kat, it's soluble so give it a go. You might want to use a pencil and poke a few holes in the ground 2-3" from the main stem so it gets to the roots right away. Also you can use this as a foliar spray as it has the same Bacteria that is used in Actinovate and Serenade. Remember a little of this stuff goes along way. Ami
Old March 19, 2009   #20
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Ami,
I ordered some also for potting up the plants the end of May. Would I be using this with the "Plant Tone" instead of the "Tomato Tone" like was discussed in other threads? If not, what would you suggest as a natural fertilizer for the tomatoes?
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2009   #21
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

On the NPK do not use a fert that is above 4 on the (P)hosphorus. The Biosol at T&J enterprises is a good fert for mycorrhiza. Here's a link.
http://www.tandjenterprises.com/cgi-...pid=F060000006
Old March 19, 2009   #22
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I used some Mycorrhiza product (Flower saver?) on my potted peppers when gardening in Wisconsin. It seemed to helpe the plants grow big roots and i believe that this made them healthy and productive.

I have to email Fungi Perfecti, because their online ordering does not work outside US. I wonder how much shipping cost will be. There is a company here in Finland which sells Dr. Hornby's Piranha, which has quite many of the same fungi, but 50g costs 27 EUR +8.5 EUR for shipping, so it is much more expensive and seems to be something used by the closet growers.

I envy you guys in U.S.. You have easy access to all sorts of natural fertilizers and growth enhancers. Here the stores carry only few type of chemical fertilizers and chicken poop. I can not even find epsom salt. Local pharmacy can order it for me, but it may be expensive.
Old March 19, 2009   #23
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by svalli View Post
I can not even find epsom salt. Local pharmacy can order it for me, but it may be expensive.
Are there no local health food stores or whole food stores located by you that sell it?

~* Robin
Old March 19, 2009   #24
Pandorae
Tomatovillian™

From the biovam site:

Appropriate Fertilizers:
Use of BioVam Mycorrhiza requires that plant fertilizers NOT HAVE a phosphorus percentage higher than 2% by weight. Higher levels of phosphorus are detrimental to the Mycorrhiza fungi.
Examples of appropriate fertilizers:*Biosol 7-2-3, *Ringers All Natural 10-2-6, *Milorganite 6-2-0, *Cottonseed Meal 6-2-1.

Phosphorus should not be higher than 2%.

Just FYI

Pandorae
Pandorae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2009   #25
Pandorae
Tomatovillian™

P.S. So if I understand this correctly you do not look at the P number in an N-P-K formula. Rather:

http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~blpprt/bobweb/BOBWEB24.HTM

"According to the conventional fertilizer standards, a 100 pound bag of 10-10-10 contains 10% or 10 pounds of nitrogen, 10% or 10 pounds of P2O5 and 10% or 10 pounds of K2O. Since P2O5 is really only 44% actual elemental phosphorus and K2O is only 83% actual elemental potassium, a 100 pound bag of 10-10-10 contains 10% or 10 pounds of nitrogen, 4.4% or 4.4 pounds of elemental phosphorus and 8.3% or 8.3 pounds of elemental potassium."

I think I understand now

Pandorae
Pandorae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2009   #26
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

The local walmart has epsom salt in the gardening section last time I looked. My daughter went for some and could not find any. She finally ended up at Walgreens and got a small container to last me a few more plants. Of course I do not live in finland!
Kat

Last edited by newatthiskat; March 19, 2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: addition
Old March 19, 2009   #27
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that Pandorae...I printed it off to take to the Mill and Feed when I go for fertilizers.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2009   #28
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

One thing to remember is what TYPE of fertilizer your dealing with, organic or inorganic. Note that the N-P-K ratio of organic fertilizers is typically lower than that of a synthetic fertilizer. This is because by law, the ratio can only express nutrients that are immediately available. Most organic fertilizers contain slow-release nutrients that will become available over time. They also contain many trace elements that might not be supplied by synthetic fertilizers.

Some interesting reads,

http://mining.state.co.us/TechnicalB...orusLevels.pdf

http://www.agroforestry.net/overstory/overstory8.html
Old March 20, 2009   #29
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I ordered 4 ounces of MycoGrow from Fungi Perfecti. The cost with shipping is $36.75. Compared to the price of the Piranha ordered from a local wendor it is 60% less for same weight. Now I just hope it does not get stuck in customs.

The local pharmacy will get me 1 kg of bulk Epsom salt for 15 Euros. One kilogram was the smallest I can order, but it should last me long time and I can use this one for soaking my sore feet after hard day of gardening.

Now I have to just find good fertilizer to go with the mycorrhiza. I checked that the commercial composted chicken poop fertilizer is low on P, so it should work.
Old March 21, 2009   #30
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I ordered 2 oz of MycoGrow. Total with shipping was 14.83. I am glad you posted that site Ami. Less than 15.00, which was my cutoff price. Hard to justify spending money on actinovate on top of the other products at this time. If this one has it all and is cheaper per unit. Just hope it works as well or at least half as well I want to be swimming in maters!
Kat