Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 2, 2013   #16
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

LBI had some towns get pretty beat up. luckily i had zero damage. two blocks in every direction was hit by ocean waves or bay flooding.

how about you?

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2013   #17
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

I was lucky as well and I might be the only person to say that Sandy did me a favor.
Lost two massive trees that managed not to hit anything.
The favor - I wanted to remove them and I would have needed a permit.
The removal cost was about half what it would have been too.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2013   #18
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

thats awesome

the reason i have a new garden up north is because the huge tree that blocked all the sun in my backyard went down during the storm. i was so happy to see that. didnt damage any houses so it worked out

Old March 2, 2013   #19
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Same reason I wanted to remove these trees! Blocking my garden light.
Old March 24, 2013   #20
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

This March dumped more snow than nov dec and january totals put together.. more on the way
Old March 24, 2013   #21
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

i'm hoping May brings some nice weather. want to get my plants some sunlight

Old March 24, 2013   #22
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

I will be ecstatic to hit a mid May plant out date at this point. We had several 70 deg days this time last year. I was aggressively optimistic and already buried the snow shovels in the back of the garage.
Old April 9, 2013   #23
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Can you guys believe it was 80 degrees today? Holy cow. I set some tomato plants outdoors for several hours on the deck while I was working and I swear one of them grew leaves in that short time (hehe). Amazing what REAL sun will do. Don't expect it to last though, still too early for tomatoes. Spinach looks great though.

Jeff, I noticed you seem to be growing fond of the yellows...I've got Dr. Wyche's Yellow and Persimmon seedlings if you want any. Still small, but making big strides!
Old April 9, 2013   #24
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
Can you guys believe it was 80 degrees today? Holy cow. I set some tomato plants outdoors for several hours on the deck while I was working and I swear one of them grew leaves in that short time (hehe). Amazing what REAL sun will do. Don't expect it to last though, still too early for tomatoes. Spinach looks great though.

Jeff, I noticed you seem to be growing fond of the yellows...I've got Dr. Wyche's Yellow and Persimmon seedlings if you want any. Still small, but making big strides!

i was able to get some lettuce and thyme outside for abound an hour yesterday and almost all day today. they seemed to like the sun.

i also started some extra sungold seeds and they've only seen sun, no lights at all. both yesterday and today they were outside all day. in fact i left them outside last night and i'm leaving the lettuce and thyme out tonight. i might even toss them in the garden tomorrow. trying to figure out how much rain we'll get on fri

as for the yellow tomatoes, did you grow them last season? i've heard of both but never tasted them and really dont know much about either. you are far too kind with your offers and i'm still willing to go for a drive and swap some plants. that is if we both have room for more plants i know you have as many extras as me

Old April 10, 2013   #25
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Jeff, I have not tried either of these. The Dr. Wyche's was given to me 8 years ago by an heirloom tomato addict, and shamefully, I never grew them (I wondered why I would want a yellow tomato, right? lol). I thought it was about time I tried it before the seeds are no longer viable. It gets good reviews from where I've read, very good flavor. Big plant, late season.

I have not grown Persimmon either but my friend from H.S. sent me them with a bunch of pepper seeds which I told you about....he only stated that this was his version of Persimmon , which he selected out. Now I 've written him to ask WHAT he selected for, but he has not answered that and we tend to get carried away with garden chat , lol. But it was selected haha...orange globes.

Yes, I am really in a pickle here with all these plants taking over my house. The biggest problem is I KEEP ON SOWING SEEDS. No idea why. I think oh, maybe I should try this or that, I forgot about those seeds. Meanwhile, I'm not going to have room for them all. oh well. Somehow I will find room somewhere. I told my Brother in Law to turn over his garden and weed it. Pronto! He wants a garden, but well, he is easily distracted. If he turns it over, I'll plant, and care for them, but he does need to water it. I'll talk him into a timer this year.
Old April 10, 2013   #26
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

oh, I do think I'm going to get some of those kangaroo pots or whatever too. I already have lots of pots and a few earthtainers, but I can always put a few plants in those bags..somewhere.
Old April 10, 2013   #27
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post

Yes, I am really in a pickle here with all these plants taking over my house. The biggest problem is I KEEP ON SOWING SEEDS. No idea why. I think oh, maybe I should try this or that, I forgot about those seeds. Meanwhile, I'm not going to have room for them all. oh well. Somehow I will find room somewhere. I told my Brother in Law to turn over his garden and weed it. Pronto! He wants a garden, but well, he is easily distracted. If he turns it over, I'll plant, and care for them, but he does need to water it. I'll talk him into a timer this year.
i also start seeds for my brother in law. he needs to do the same to his garden and i told him to do it today before the rain but he didnt of course. i also do most of maintenance but i make him water.

i tried to talk him into a timer last year but he doesnt want a hose running across his grass and wouldnt let me bury one. his plants actually did alright though.

the 10 day forecast doesnt dip into the 30s here so im staying optimistic about getting the plants in around may 1

Old April 10, 2013   #28
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

i did a couple single stem tomatoes in 4 gallon containers last year. i poked some holes in a hose and zip tied it to the top of the pot. then capped off the end of the hose so water only came out where i poked. i then set the hose on a timer for 1 minute in morning and 1 minute in evening. it actually worked very well and i will prob do the same thing again