SETTFest™ event information and discussion forum. South East Texas Tomato Fest

Old April 12, 2013   #16
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Sounds good to me can Boo Boo come too.

Worth
That is a decision above my paygrade. Mrs. Mojo will have to make that call.
Old April 12, 2013   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
That is a decision above my paygrade. Mrs. Mojo will have to make that call.
I was only teasing Boo Boo has duties at home when I am gone.
The Poor thing thinks he is going to the vet when he gets in the truck, though he does ride well.

Worth
Old April 13, 2013   #18
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

We're now less than two months away from when an event would typically happen and we haven't heard a peep. I have to admit I am a bit puzzled considering the large (200+) Texas contingent on these forums.

I'm very proud of our 5 year run (mission?) with SETTFest. I really enjoyed organizing it, meeting people, and sharing growing tips, as well as introducing new people to the world of heirloom tomatoes. Over the years, we streamlined the process down to really just 3-5 hours the day before the event, and then arriving 2 hours early the day of the event and staying 30 minutes after. Outside of booking the venue, it's really not THAT big of a commitment. I wrote all this up a 5 page document "How to Survive a Tomato Tasting" and make it available to anyone who is interested in running a Tomato Tasting. Maybe next year we'll see another big event.

For now, I'm staying tuned to Mojo's backyard shindig.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old April 14, 2013   #19
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkerkitty View Post
I'm going to start doing research on places in the San Marcos/New Braunfels area that could host something like this. Landa Park in New Braunfels might be a good start. I'll post back with more info as I learn more. I'm trying to go free or super cheap! Too bad Antique Rose Emporium here in SA closed. They had some beautiful meeting spaces that would have been perfect.

Christy
Any movement on this? Anything I can do to help?
Old April 17, 2013   #20
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I don't want to point a finger at anyone in particular who may simply have gotten caught up in real life issues, or perhaps some major event which is keeping them away from the forums.

But this does highlight a problem we've seen in the past on Dave's Garden in the years before SETTFest. One person with the best of intentions expressed an interest in running a tomato tasting in Texas, and then everyone else just hung back thinking the event was covered. They patiently waited for an event announcement which never came.

If there is to be a consistent Texas tomato tasting or regional tomato tastings in and around Texas, there should really be a small group of 2-4 people working together to make sure that something happens. I am happy to serve on this team as an advisor to share my experience and suggest solutions to issues as they pop up.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old April 18, 2013   #21
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherB View Post
Any movement on this? Anything I can do to help?
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
I don't want to point a finger at anyone in particular who may simply have gotten caught up in real life issues, or perhaps some major event which is keeping them away from the forums.

But this does highlight a problem we've seen in the past on Dave's Garden in the years before SETTFest. One person with the best of intentions expressed an interest in running a tomato tasting in Texas, and then everyone else just hung back thinking the event was covered. They patiently waited for an event announcement which never came.

If there is to be a consistent Texas tomato tasting or regional tomato tastings in and around Texas, there should really be a small group of 2-4 people working together to make sure that something happens. I am happy to serve on this team as an advisor to share my experience and suggest solutions to issues as they pop up.
I was coming on today to post a follow up. My season is probably going to be mostly shot. I was planning on lots of plants in the ground and in containers, at least 60, probably closer to 80. With the contaminated manure in most of my containers and half of my garden, I lost around 40 to 50 plants. I had already given away most of my back-up plants. Those few that I still have are very root bound and really look pretty bad. I think I've also been hit a fungal disease of some sort.

So, right now, I can plan something, but I probably won't have many, if any tomatoes to actually bring. This obviously creates a big problem since I don't know how many tomatoes I can bring for anyone to taste.

Also, when I posted in the General Discussion area about having an event, only one person responded. That was back on March 10. It seemed like there was very little interest.

Will anyone else have tomatoes to bring? I'm really at a loss right now.

Christy
Old April 18, 2013   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Christy
I am so sorry I didn't post in that thread in the general discussion area.
I must have missed it.
We did correspond as to what my schedule was by way of PM though.

Due to that schedule I cant guarantee doing anything to even help unless I know when it is.
If it is on the Saturday I get home I would be lucky to even go much less help.

If it was on the second weekend I can help.
I cannot bring tomatoes as I cant expect my wife to mess with that many tomatoes.

As I have stated before Suze brought almost all of the tomatoes.
I dont think this is fare.
You shouldn't have to set up the event and then be responsible for supplying the tomatoes too.

Texas is such a big state with so many different climates it is very hard to set something up like this here.
And have everyone bring tomatoes.

Further more I am extremely aggravated with your tomato plant loss.
This is horrible.

Worth
Old April 18, 2013   #23
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I was coming on today to post a follow up. My season is probably going to be mostly shot. I was planning on lots of plants in the ground and in containers, at least 60, probably closer to 80. With the contaminated manure in most of my containers and half of my garden, I lost around 40 to 50 plants. I had already given away most of my back-up plants. Those few that I still have are very root bound and really look pretty bad. I think I've also been hit a fungal disease of some sort.

So, right now, I can plan something, but I probably won't have many, if any tomatoes to actually bring. This obviously creates a big problem since I don't know how many tomatoes I can bring for anyone to taste.
That is so depressing to hear. I'm sorry to hear so much of your crop got knocked out.
Quote:
Also, when I posted in the General Discussion area about having an event, only one person responded. That was back on March 10. It seemed like there was very little interest.
There are over 200 folks from Texas on Tomatoville and new people sign up every week. I have to think there are folks from Texas who are interested in attending and willing to step up. My understanding is the 2011 event had nearly 75 people show up.

General Discussion is a very high traffic area so it's not surprising to me that your post got drowned out. For now, I think people are looking at the SETTFest forum for news of any tomato tasting in Texas, whether it's called SETTFest or not. If another event comes around and becomes popular, then maybe the forum will get renamed. Who knows what the future will bring.
Quote:
Will anyone else have tomatoes to bring? I'm really at a loss right now.

Christy
There is no requirement that the organizer of the event bring the tomatoes. I know it's something Suze started doing, but in the last couple years it was starting to be a lot of work and we were hoping that this effort could be balanced between multiple participants.

If you have a location and date picked, announce it, and then we can find out who will be attending and who will have tomatoes to share.

Old April 21, 2013   #24
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

MAGTAG just got cancelled. It just confirms for me that having 3-4 people involved in an event helps guarantee that it will continue even when life throws us curveballs.

Old April 21, 2013   #25
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Yes I agree. You need everyone bringing tomatoes and pitching in. Our CHOPTAG events have had some pretty lean years but we rely on everyone attending to bring tomatoes and set up their own tables, slice up their own fruits, bring something to eat, etc. The rule is you must bring tomatoes, or food, or both if you have them. It works out pretty well that way.
It is amazing how the same variety of tomato can taste different depending on who's garden it came from.
Good luck to you guys and I hope you can make it work this year. It doesn't have to be fancy. Last year I had everyone over and we set up tables in our barn instead of renting out the park. It was still a great time
Old April 22, 2013   #26
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

I'll be making a flurry of phone calls today. If I can't find a suitable location, I may just open up our home here in San Antonio. I'll be back!

Christy
Old April 22, 2013   #27
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I'm in Houston area and would love to attend, bearing tomatoes (if I have any) and a potluck dish.

If things are in Houston, it'd be easiest, since it's hard for us to travel 'cuz we have a toddler.

We're planning on taking the baby to Sea World this summer so San Antonio would be very possible.

I think what I'm trying to say is that I'm not quiet because I don't want to participate, it's just that once a day and time and location have been settled on, I can make arrangements to attend (or rule out attending).

Last edited by tlintx; April 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: baby assisted with post
Old April 23, 2013   #28
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomatoes or cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbee View Post
Yes I agree. You need everyone bringing tomatoes and pitching in.
The only issue I see with this is that people who had a bad year, live in apartments, or for whatever reason, don't have tomatoes to spare will be discouraged from attending. How about "Bring tomatoes or donation". A donation should be something like $10/family.

I say this only because, at this point of the season, I have no idea how the season will turn out so I can not commit to bringing a bunch of varieties.

CheckerKitty:
Expect an IM

Last edited by ArcherB; April 23, 2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old April 23, 2013   #29
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

OK, so let's call this for Saturday, June 15th.
Old April 23, 2013   #30
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherB View Post
The only issue I see with this is that people who had a bad year, live in apartments, or for whatever reason, don't have tomatoes to spare will be discouraged from attending. How about "Bring tomatoes or donation". A donation should be something like $10/family.

I say this only because, at this point of the season, I have no idea how the season will turn out so I can not commit to bringing a bunch of varieties.

CheckerKitty:
Expect an IM
We have growers that bring 1 variety of tomato, growers that bring 4 or 5 varieties, and growers that bring 100 varieties. If you don't have tomatoes, you bring food instead.
If anyone has been discouraged, they have never said anything about it. CHOPTAG is probably one of the oldest tomato tastings of all the tastings listed in Tomatoville. Everyone pitching in and bringing tomatoes works very well
We have people who live in apts and everyone has a bad year sometimes. Thats why it is so important not to rely on just one of two people to bring the tomatoes. Here are a few varieties that were offered at the tasting last year:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg choptag2012.jpg (165.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg choptag20122.jpg (100.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg choptag20125.jpg (165.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Barbee; April 23, 2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: can't spell and extra info