Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 25, 2013   #16
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
, but they still beat those "card board fakes" from the grocery stores.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2013   #17
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here are some pictures of my container grow outs including a KBX in a 3 gal container. Reason was I had an extra seedling and rather throw it away I planted in the 3 gal. pot to see what it would do. In these small pots I was feeding it every other day with organic ferts.

The two pictures of the small wood framed green house are 26 quart styrofoam coolers taken a month apart. The next picture is Kellogs West Virginia in a 5 gal container loading up with fruit and I call it the "Tomato Machine".

And the last picture with the 3 small pots between the 5 gal white containers on each end, the small light brown pot on the right side is the KBX.

Ami
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0907.JPG (292.1 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1126.JPG (301.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1171.JPG (298.8 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg PC-DSCF1515.JPG (151.2 KB, 134 views)
Old January 26, 2013   #18
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for posting the pictures, Ami! It's amazing to see plants in containers so loaded with fruit. In looking at my grow list, I think I have enough large eating tomatoes for this year, so even though I now know it is possible in a five gallon pot, I'm putting KBX on the 2014 list.

However, I just received some Heidi seeds in a trade, and the more sauce tomatoes the better! Anyone ever grow it either in the ground or in a container and have any opinions on how it might fare in a five gallon pot?
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2013   #19
hardwaterbob
Tomatovillian™

Default THANKS

Thanks everyone for you input.

I start about 200 plants to sell to raise a little money to help pay for the lights , soil, fertilizer and such.

I guess the message here is that most varieties will grow if given a good enriched base in a large container and then plenty of organic food and plenty of water.

Good to know and good to grow. BEST WISHES FOR 2013

hardwaterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #20
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
However, I just received some Heidi seeds in a trade, and the more sauce tomatoes the better! Anyone ever grow it either in the ground or in a container and have any opinions on how it might fare in a five gallon pot?

The first 2 pictures are Ludmilla's Red Plum grown in 5 gal containers which is similar to Heidi except Ludmilla's has larger fruit. The 3rd and 4th pictures are closer shots of the KBX in 3 gal container that I posted previously and the plant to the left of it Is
Ed's Millenium which is a variant of Pink Brandywine. Ami
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC-DSCF1911.JPG (216.4 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg PC-DSCF1905.JPG (212.1 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg PC-DSCF1906.JPG (208.1 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg PC-DSCF1490.JPG (227.7 KB, 108 views)
Old January 27, 2013   #21
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Ami, that is amazing the size and health of the KBX in that small of a container. Down here I would have to stand over the pot and water it every hour or two once it got that large or it would dry up during the summer heat.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2013   #22
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

my best container plants last yr were franks large red, carbon,neves azorian, evas purple ball red brandywine, and daniels.. all were grown in 15 gall smart pots

Last edited by augiedog55; February 11, 2013 at 09:32 AM.
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2013   #23
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

augiedog55, do you put anything in the bottom of your smart pots to help stabelize them? Like a few inches of rock? I'd guess that 15 gal would'd need that, but I'm wondering about the smaller sizes.
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2013   #24
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

zeroma, i put two 2x8' 10ft longs under my smartpots to keep them off my deck . then i have 5 ft conrete reinformance wire i use as cages round the pots and zip them or wire the cages to the 2x8's. they aren't going anywhere.
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2013   #25
LloydF
Tomatovillian™

amerideutch, how are you managing to water and fertilize in such small pots? They don't appear to have any saucers under them to hold water etc.
LloydF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2013   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The bed of an old pickup truck would work great.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2013   #27
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Is that a "Worthtainer"?
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2013   #28
Mashman
Tomatovillian™

Best Mobil App I've seen Worth.
Mashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2013   #29
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
amerideutch, how are you managing to water and fertilize in such small pots? They don't appear to have any saucers under them to hold water etc.
In the small pots I was watering twice a day and fertilizing every other day. For fertilizing I always used 2 10 liter watering cans for all my plants (normally I could water 4 plants with the 2 cans) and normal watering I used a hose with a water breaker.

But as I said before it was an experiment with left over seedlings. Normally 5 gallon was the minimum size I used for my maters. But then again to it depends on your location and climate. You could probably do the same as far north as you are.

Ami
Old February 28, 2013   #30
LloydF
Tomatovillian™

Ami, how tall is that little covered area where you have the buckets? I was thinking that it would be just perfect sized to wrap a sheet of plastic around it and have a mini greenhouse for a coldsnap. I hate when we get the frost here and then another gorgeous month of Indian Summer. All the blankets in the house are out covering tomato plants!
LloydF is offline   Reply With Quote