Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 18, 2012   #16
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately, synthetic fertilizers have been unfairly maligned by the "organic" movement. Unlike synthetic pesticides, which are for the most part poisonous chemicals, synthetic ferts are (generally speaking) industrially produced compounds made from naturally occurring minerals. Chilean nitrate, for example, is fossilized seabird guano - pretty natural from my point of view. Many sources of synthetic nitrogen are produced by capturing atmospheric nitrogen. Synthetic phosphates are often produced by reacting naturally occurring rock phosphorus with naturally occurring sulphuric acid so that the phosphorus is immediately available for plant use.

As Feldon pointed out, "organic" makes a lot of sense when you're growing in ground - because it is a annual investment in improving your soil. It's possible to grow organically in containers, but it's definitely more challenging. If you choose to grow using synthetic fertilizers, don't beat yourself up - there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2012   #17
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Thanks 41 for great info. An no, I am absolutely NOT beating myself up. I have only been on the forums for a little over a year and learned SO MUCH. To me, and only to me, the idea of "building soil" in a container, much less and EB is an oxymoron. Again, certainly possible and I applaud those who do it. I am surely not trying to activate a synthetic / organic debate. It is of great interest to know how others grow in containers though. Thanks for all the input.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2012   #18
janezee
Tomatovillian™

I'm grateful for all this information. I'm growing in containers (not SW) for the second time ever,
and would like to have better success than I did 6 years ago.

If I'd known then what I've been reading now, my driveway would look like Craig's by now......
(nctomatoman)

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2012   #19
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Yes, as I have said before, every gardener in the world WANTS to grow organic. Its a no brainer. But it is not exactly EZ in containers. Something it takes some of us a while to figure out!
Old June 18, 2012   #20
bdank
Tomatovillian™

I'm doing a side-by-side test in my earthboxes where I'm comparing a generic 10-10-10 against two organic fertilizers. So far, the 10-10-10 is out preforming the organics. Like Linda, I'm considering switching all of my earthboxes to a synthetic a fertilizer next year.

Here's the thread about my test on the earthbox forum.
bdank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2012   #21
RayR
Tomatovillian™

bdank, you wrote at the EB forum, "All the fertilizer was put into a knee high stocking and buried in the middle between the two plants."
I have no experience with SWC's, just traditional containers and in-ground, but it seems to me a highly inefficient method of delivering nutrients to the plant roots with a granular organic fertilizer as Tomato-Tone or Tomato's Alive!. Granular organic fertilizers are for the most part not water soluble, the organic nutrient compounds have to be broken down in to plant available inorganic forms by soil bacteria and fungi and that happens much faster and more efficiently for the entire root system over time if the organic fertilizer is distributed evenly throughout the media.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2012   #22
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

RayR - There in lies one of the many unique problems to growing organically in an EB. In the EB system, solid ferts are not distributed but are placed in a strip. Specifically, top watering or rain is a no-no. The water is wicked upward from the reservoir. Synthetics are often housed in a knee high nylon for easy removal. I did not place my Tomato Tone in a nylon stocking and got dismal results anyway. If I were not feeding with liquid ferts I am not sure I would have any maters!
Old June 18, 2012   #23
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Linda, then you did mix Tomato-Tone throughout the media in prepping your containers?
That's what I do in standard containers for peppers and eggplant and it works great. I use liquid Fish/Seaweed and molasses as supplements during the flowering/fruiting stage as a drench and also as a foliar.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2012   #24
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

No, I have always used it as a strip per EB instructions. Next year when I replant if there is any left over, I mix the left over in and add 3 cups of new organics in a strip. I have mixed TT into my containers and also supplent with fish/seaweed.