Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old December 18, 2011   #16
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Absolutely gorgeous! I've got three big ones of similar size but none have them have flowered to the best of my knowledge. All were plants from my mother....and I don't remember them blooming for her. All started as tiny little plants from my grandmother....lol....she bought 99 cent specials at Woolworth's - a Jade and a rubber plant after hearing "two little old ladies" (my grandmother's description, not mine) disparaging them, saying that they were a waste of money, since they'll die in a few weeks. When the rubber tree got higher than 5ft and out grew any space she had in her living room she gave it to my mother. The same thing happened with the Jade....although not 5ft tall, it did get almost 3 ft tall before my mother started splitting into separate pots. I've lost track of the number of cuttings that have been given away. But the base of the originals have to be about 3 to 4inches in diameter.

Mom kept her's in the front hall where it was always cool day and night in the winter. Two of mine sit on my kitchen counter (having just repotted them this weekend) and the other in the spare bedroom. So I'm wondering how I'm going to recreate your "cooler temperatures in the greenhouse" here in the house. Hmmmmm....close off the heat vent in the spare bedroom? Will have to see. And you're saying give it extra light as opposed to darkness at night?

Regardless if mine ever bloom, I'm in envy of all of you who have had your's bloom....sighhhhh. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2011   #17
LuvsToPlant
Tomatovillian™

Hi Zana That was a cute story!
My theory in helping a Jade bloom...is as much light as possible
and cooler night temps in the late summer / fall will trigger the bud setting.

...Having to move such a large plant from a well lit area to a cool spot every eve would
not be convient.
...but if anyone had the right spot that would help!
Good luck with your Jade!
LuvsToPlant is offline   Reply With Quote