Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 28, 2011   #16
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post

Fall-back recommendation is Miracle-Gro Potting MIX, without Moisture Control. Available at Home Depot and Lowes.
This is the mix I use in my non self watering containers with good success.

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2011   #17
Duke
Tomatovillian™

I work in the "big city" so I'll take a look around tomorrow and see what's available. I'll probably be amazed at places I've been driving by for years without noticing before I got this urge to grow tomatoes.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2011   #18
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Duke,

BTW, how did you construct your dolly?
Ray, You can get inexpensive moving dollies at Harbor Fright ($9-$11). I am using the smaller ones for some 18 gal Earthtainers. Check each caster before purchasing (just sayin').
And be sure to use a coupon.

Rick
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2011   #19
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Duke

If the Sta Green Potting Mix is not soil based it could be amended with sphagnum peat moss 50/50 mix of each along with your other items.

When you pour out the Sta Green does it look very dark with small 1/3 in bark chips with some perilite and small green fertizer balls? If it does just add the the above sphagnum peat moss to it and you'll be able to grow plants in it.

If you happen upon a bag of worm castings in your seach pick up a bag for your mix. It will help the seedlings once they need more nutrients as they grow.

George

Last edited by geeboss; March 29, 2011 at 09:02 AM.
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2011   #20
Duke
Tomatovillian™

George,
Thanks for the info. I will take a look at it tonight and see. If not I will probably wait a week or two before I go looking again. I don't think everyone has their gardening stuff out yet around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeboss View Post
Duke

The Sta Green Potting Mix is not soil based it could be amended with sphagnum peat moss 50/50 mix of each along with your other items.

When you pour out the Sta Green does it look very dark with small 1/3 in bark chips with some perilite and small green fertizer balls? If it does just add the the above sphagnum peat moss to it and you'll be able to grow plants in it.

If you happen upon a bag of worm castings in your seach pick up a bag for your mix. It will help the seedlings once they need more nutrients as they grow.

George
Old April 4, 2011   #21
brismith70
Tomatovillian™

Duke:

Do a Google search on hydroponics and Kokomo. I assume that's the big city that you're referring to above. There are a couple of farm places that sell hydroponics stuff around town.

I am from originally from Kokomo and was back a couple of weeks ago. I can tell you that you are not so far behind as you might think. It was still a little chilly for planting out there when I was there visiting my family.

Just remember to have patience with your new tomatoes. It is easy to get anxious about every little detail. Once you get them going, though, they take care of themselves. You already have a self-watering container and I see that you have some fertilizer for when you need it. There are no failures in gardening. Just learning experiences.

Brian
brismith70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2011   #22
Duke
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the advice! I did go ahead and plant some seeds just for kicks. I'm now the proud father of 10 little 'mater plants. I'm sure that before its over, I'll end out ordering or buying from a local green house when the time finally comes.
Old April 6, 2011   #23
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
I'm only doing one container this year. My wife is already looking at me funny. Nothing in the ground this year due to some upcoming septic work in the back yard this summer and the only sunny spots left are in the front yard.
Duke
Welcome, Duke!

Planting tomatoes in the front yard presents no problem for many here at Tomatoville, myself included.

Glad to see you changed your mind about starting some plants for yourself...you'll be surprised at how easy they are to grow. Soon you'll be building more containers, and, well that's how it all starts.

Wanted to mention that Pro-Mix BX is available here at several local places- smallish garden stores and even a feed mill. You might be needing more mix sometime soon to fill all of your new containers.

Kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote