Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old February 1, 2011   #16
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

these furry tailed rats aren't a problem tho they are around here, lots of oak trees. i did manage to kill 1 with my pellet rifle but it was a lucky shot. maybe a pellet rifle that uses a gas cartridge can kill them but i pump mine 10 is the max and i have hit them many times but their hide is tough and all they do is just jump.

i've toyed with buying a .22 and killing them in the back yard where it is safe to shoot them, won't have the road behind them this way. then i watch them running about and just living their lives and figure what the heck they are just trying to live so i leave them alone.... but if they attack my garden i will kill them.

i never had a problem at either house but then i did have bite marks on tomatoes for a couple of years when i was working but since i retired i haven't had any. i'm not out there that much as i hate the heat and humidity and try to stay inside until it is safe to go back out in september or october but the times i am out there in the afternoon must be enough to keep them at bay.
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2011   #17
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

If you have the live trap already, get a rain barrel and just dump it in when there is a fuzzy tailed tree rat in it. I do a combo of the trap, and the small bore for when they are in the trees. I take out more than 100 a year, and sometimes 4 or 5 a day when a new group moves in. They seem to breed like rodents, but keeping up with it is just part of garden maintenance.

Tom
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2011   #18
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default squirrels

Tom - my friends and I refer to this as "baptising" - that's about all we can do here - city says we can only relocate 500 feet away - they wil beat you home. However, they don't care how you 'otherwise dispose of squirrels'. Go figure! 2 have a hearts are set most of the year. Piegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C zone 4/5 View Post
A barrel big enough to admit a h-a-h trap filled with water will make moot returning squirrels.
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011   #19
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
The big box stores carry a product called Repels All and from what I can tell, it is accurately named........Still for me in the burbs where shooting isn't an option and the numbers are so great that trapping would be ludicrous,
I'm going to give this stuff a shot. I'm with you. In my setting, I cannot shot them.
Repels All Liquid seems to get pretty good reviews while the granules are very mixed reviews. I'll try the liquid first.

We have decent size lots but I am at the end of our block on a curve. A few of my neighbors and I have longer, narrower lots. My one row of tomatoes on my southwest side that is along my lot line is maybe 10 feet away from the side of their house.

I certainly understand from those saying I need to eliminate the problem or at least cut into their numbers but some of the methods are tough when you have neighbors in all directions watching a lot of what you do. Remember, Miss Squrrel Feeder is right across the street!

I just have to have my buddy over more often so he could drink up and capture squirrels to take back to his neighborhood.....like every day.
BigBrownDogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011   #20
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinslair View Post
If you have the live trap already, get a rain barrel and just dump it in when there is a fuzzy tailed tree rat in it. I do a combo of the trap, and the small bore for when they are in the trees. I take out more than 100 a year, and sometimes 4 or 5 a day when a new group moves in. They seem to breed like rodents, but keeping up with it is just part of garden maintenance.

Tom
What do you do with them after the "baptism"?
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011   #21
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'm guessing a "funeral"
Full Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011   #22
BlackestKrim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0820 View Post
http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir3.html
BlackestKrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011   #23
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

my dog loves her crunchable squirrels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0820 View Post
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2011   #24
JoAnne
Tomatovillian™

This last year I put out the have-a-heart traps for the first time. Caught a squirrel a day the first two weeks and a squirrel a week after that. Took them into work 15 miles away (university campus so lots of green areas) and I got to eat my tomatos. Oh, and the traps caught some rats as well and, well, they met their maker via a large tub of water. I highly recommend the traps, they saved my crop. I had tried everything else and nothing else worked!
JoAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2011   #25
angler
Tomatovillian™

I had the same problem last year , came home and all my tomatos and peppers were destoyed, (only a couple plants of each), this year I am building a frame out of pvc pipe and covering it with hardware cloth.

My beds are small in size so the expence isn't that bad. Seeing your plants laid to waste is heartbreaking. I would shoot them all if I could get away with it.
Old February 5, 2011   #26
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

a quick blessing and into a plastic grocery bag then the garbage can or a burial. Once the trees next door went away, the problem seemed more than manageable, and last year the corner black walnut went away but it seems their numbers increased instead of deceased. We only have four trees plus two much smaller trees on the ENTIRE block. Two are oaks so there is a food attraction. Lots of dogs and several cats including Kitty Girl. piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2011   #27
tam91
Tomatovillian™

You know, it's odd - I have tons of oak trees, and woods behind me, and lots of chipmunks and squirrels. Yet, they have never bothered my garden. Maybe they have enough other food?
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2011   #28
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Moon View Post
I'm guessing a "funeral"
Full Moon, that is funny. I'm still getting a good chuckle out of that response.
Old February 5, 2011   #29
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackestKrim View Post
That sounds familiar. Here is what Texas A&M Univ. has to say about keeping squirrels out of the tomatoes:

"Trap and release into the skillet. Lead posioning or number 8 shot (propelled out the barrel of a shotgun) works too, but might damage the plants or fruit."
Old February 5, 2011   #30
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinslair View Post
my dog loves her crunchable squirrels.
Sounds like I need to get a dog.