Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old May 23, 2010   #16
k3vin
Tomatovillian™

Apparently there is a sucrose accumulating gene found in the wild type L. chmielewskii and L. hirsutum. Domestic tomatoes accumulate hexose whereas these wild types accumulate sucrose. It is a recessive gene that codes for a lack of invertase enzyme activity and hence sucrose accumulation as opposed to hexose accumulation. One goal of research done in the 90's was introgression of the gene into domestic tomatoes to make them sweeter. Successful crosses were reported as "small and yellow" There was no mention of them smelling like pot though.
k3vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010   #17
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Speaking of, I visited Christiania yesterday. But I didn't inhale.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2010   #18
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

I've always noticed the "Sungold smell", but thought of it as lemony - oh well. However I can follow the smell from Sungod (or SunSugar), through some progeny lines tracing to F1 crosses with these parents.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2011   #19
nangisha
Tomatovillian™

I don't know about sungold because I have not grow it but my first tomato is Permata F1 from east west seed company its has really strong smell. I can notice it with out touch if I touch it I can sense the smell in my finger. I stop grew it after first attempt because my dad not satisfied with the taste. I don't find thats smell in my Chery tomato.
nangisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2011   #20
strax
Tomatovillian™

i love the sunglold smell. however it doesnt smell like mary jane to me. it does have an odd fruity and lemmony smell.

Chukhloma is a great orange plum, which has the same smell and a similar flavor.
strax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2011   #21
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by strax View Post

Chukhloma is a great orange plum, which has the same smell and a similar flavor.
I can't find much about Chukhloma (Khokhloma) on-line except as a variety on a trade list. Could you tell me any more about it? "Same smell and a similar flavor" has my attention!

Has anyone else grown/ tasted this one?
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2011   #22
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

I think Sun Gold has an unpleasant smell; usually I like the smell of tomato foliage. I don't see what others do in Sun Gold, but then I don't care for most cherry tomatoes.
matilda'skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2011   #23
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

I like the sweet,strong, fragrant smell of Sun Gold and Sun Sugar. I have a friend who grows Mary Jane legally under Ca law, and I have visited his place before and he has this one strain called 'Sour Diesel', reminds me very much of that sweet strong smell of SG and SS.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote