Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 18, 2010   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3 View Post
Jaune Flamme & Sungella (a cross between Sungold & Tangella I believe), had great flavour & produced well for us. kd
There's been lots of conjecture about the parental inputs to Sungella F1 and I don't think anyone knows what the other parental inputs might be. It could be Tangella, it could be Craigella, it could be any "ella" but since I don't know of any modern hybrids that have just two distinct parents, rather, there's lots of genetic input on both sides, I think Tokita seeds or T and M put the ella on the end of the variety name just so folks like us would try to figure out what THE other parent is.
Old January 18, 2010   #17
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoaddict View Post
I want to try some new (to me) orange/yellow maters this year. I have grown: KBX, Kellogg's Breakfast, Claude Brown's Yellow Giant, Persimmon, Nebraska Wedding, Peg's Round Orange. Not that any of them were bad, just looking for something new. Seems like I remember a thread where someone was talking about either Orange-1 or Orange Heirloom. Anyhoo, I just wanted to hear which ones blew your mind.
I think you have grown two of the best with Kellogg's Breakfast, and the potato-leafed version-KBX, that said, I have to add that most years I find Dr. Wyches Yellow to be a great tasting tomato. This past year it didn't do well with the cooler and wetter season that we had here. It produced plenty of tomatoes but they were bland tasting and watery.
If you like a citrusy tating tomato, try Lillian's yellow heirloom. It has wonderful production and shows less stress than others.
If you have a long season, Yellow Brandywine is another choice but it's a late producer.
Goldie is a medium sized tomato that tastes pretty good too.
This year I had a surprise with a late producing variety called Golden Queen. Not near as large as I prefer, but by the time I harvested them, there weren't many others still producing and I thought they tasted wonderful.
Golden Cherokee and Persimmon were two that have had a strong following but weren't all that impressive to me this past season.
If you like cherry tomatoes there's none better than Sun-Gold, which is a hybrid that produces like crazy and I think is the best tasting cherry!
I also had a Sun-gold/Black Brandywine cross that produced more tomatoes than even the sun-gold does and they were a little larger than a sun-gold and quite tasty.
Still, you can't go wrong with Kellogg's Breakfast/ KBX!
Happy Gardening,
Camo

Last edited by camochef; January 19, 2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: correction
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2010   #18
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoaddict View Post
I want to try some new (to me) orange/yellow maters this year. I have grown: KBX, Kellogg's Breakfast, Claude Brown's Yellow Giant, Persimmon, Nebraska Wedding, Peg's Round Orange. Not that any of them were bad, just looking for something new. Seems like I remember a thread where someone was talking about either Orange-1 or Orange Heirloom. Anyhoo, I just wanted to hear which ones blew your mind.
Casey's Pure Yellow, Catwell, and Jumbo Jim Orange are all sublime to my tastebuds. Edit/add - I also love Lillian's Yellow, but it is just not that productive here in my hot climate.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2010   #19
Tania
Tomatovillian™

My orange/yellow favs are:
  • Orlov Yellow
  • Jaune Flammee
  • Brandywine Yellow, Platfoot
  • Sakharnyi Zheltyi
  • Stor Gul
  • Earl of Edgecombe
  • Sungella
  • Limmony
  • Kellogg's Breakfast (more productive for me than KBX)

..just to name a few...

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2010   #20
gill_s
Tomatovillian™

There have been many suggestions for yellow/orange tomatoes that make me want to try them all-oh for the space!. No one has mentioned Caro Rich which has been one of my favourite tomatoes and supposedly very healthy!
gill_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2010   #21
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Try Orange Heirloom. I personally prefer it over Kellogg's Breakfast and KBX.

Here's a picture from Tomatopalooza[tm] IV.

It's a RL indeterminate beefsteak type tomato. Size is roughly 12~16oz+, with good yields and disease tolerance. Taste is very good, with the flavors being on the fruity tart side of the specturm.

Seeds used to be found comercially at Victory Seeds, but Mike no longer lists it. So, let me know
if you need seeds.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2010   #22
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Elbe - I saved a similar thread from another site a few years back ...... have not personally grown Elbe yet; Russian Persimmon is one that really sticks in my mind for flavour from my past grow outs

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Elbe

and here's what Fusion had to say back in 2003 ......

Quote:
Posted by: Fusion_power 7b (My Page) on Fri, Dec 12, 03 at 0:00

I have to give general agreement that Kellogg's Breakfast is a distinctly different flavor experience from others such as Yellow Brandywine Platfoot and Elbe.

Yellow Brandywine is a pretty good tomato but goes from underripe to overripe in about a days time. I had to watch carefully to pick mine at the peak of flavor. It makes a very good sliced tomato. The flavor is distinctive with a slight tart aftertaste.

Elbe was a very distinct and full flavor not very sweet but still with a pleasant overall taste. I considered it an excellent tomato for sandwiches especially when the tomato flavor really needs to stand out.

Kelloggs Breakfast kind of reminds me of the smell of a ripe pawpaw. It has an intense aroma with texture and flavor just a bit on the spicy side. I much preferred it to any of the other yellow/orange/gold varieties I've grown.

Lillians's Yellow Heirloom has an almost creamy texture and flavor. Its very good sliced and makes an awesome 3 color sliced tomato salad when combined with Brandywine and Aunt Ruby's German Green.
Old January 20, 2010   #23
carpenterlady
Tomatovillian™

What orange/yellows have the earliest maturity and do well with cool nights? Which is earlier Kellogg's Breakfast or KBX? Thanks.

Becky
carpenterlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2010   #24
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Dakota Gold, Dina, Yellow Perfection ripen for me....Yellow Brandywine, Golden Queen, Kellogg's Breakfast, Lillian's Yelllow etc, are still very green when first freeze occurs...
I need to check notes, but believe Branscomb's Orange ripened a fair amount of fruit...
Many people who suggest varieties are suggesting ones that only ripen in tomato friendly zones...DTM are meaningless for many of us...
When I am not sure I go with Russian or Eastern european varieties..Golden Bison is another early producer...

Jeanne

Jaune Flamee and Gold Dust are early, however Gold Dust is not very flavorful...

Last edited by montanamato; January 20, 2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: additon of varities
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2010   #25
carpenterlady
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Jeanne! Your recommendations mean a lot to me. I usually look at where the variety originated also. Jaune Flamee is on my list. I will be researching the others you recommended. My seedling receivers in the Minneapolis area requested more beefsteaks this spring, that is why I am also considering Kellogg's Breakfast and KBX. I will get tomatoes from them, yay! Some seedlings go near the Canadian border, and I have challenges regarding the cooler nights also. Thank you!
carpenterlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2010   #26
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenterlady View Post
Thank you Jeanne! Your recommendations mean a lot to me. I usually look at where the variety originated also. Jaune Flamee is on my list. I will be researching the others you recommended. My seedling receivers in the Minneapolis area requested more beefsteaks this spring, that is why I am also considering Kellogg's Breakfast and KBX. I will get tomatoes from them, yay! Some seedlings go near the Canadian border, and I have challenges regarding the cooler nights also. Thank you!
You asked about differences between Kellogg's Breakfast and KBX. The latter is just a leaf mutation (PL)of of Kellogg's (RL) so the ripening time is the same.

And re the above posts, I have grown Elbe, I have grown Caro Rich and Caro Red, and I'm not changing my original list.
Old January 20, 2010   #27
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Becky, Woodle Orange may work too...Not beefsteak size, but very pretty uniform globes that usually ripen and taste good...

Dina is a great producer and I am not sure if it is available anywhere yet...My guess is Tania will be offering it next year, as I recently sent her seeds...If you would like to try it send me a pm and I will send some...The tomatoes are mild and slightly sweet , with a meaty texture...More of a soft orange color, and nearly heart shaped...This is a great tomato for shorter seasons...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2010   #28
Jackie-T
Tomatovillian™

Heres another vote for orange heirloom. Grew if for the first time in 09 and it went to the top of my gotta grow it again list. 09 was a bad year fdor tomatoes around here but orange heirloom didn' seem to notice and produced quite well
Jackie-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2010   #29
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

Arkansas Marvel...Just noticed this one in D. Landreth Seed Catalog and it does look yummy. For a minute, I thought it might be the same as Marvel stripe which I do have, but it is not. I love the yellow tomato family and try some new ones each year. So far, Orange 1, Orange Heirloom,Dynne,
Orlov Yellow, Powers Yellow Heirloom are planned for and hoping to get Orange Minsk soon. Also have some really old Yellow Brimmer that I will try to start. Is Arkansas Marvel different enough that I should try it also??
Thanks, Patty
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2010   #30
icelord
Tomatovillian™

I believe AM is a bi-color.

Icelord
icelord is offline   Reply With Quote