Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 24, 2009   #16
natural
Tomatovillian™

Finally got my DSL service back. I had service for 2 hours a few days ago, then it died again. Seems there was a problem with a main switch from the provider.

I received my 'mystery' order. I ordered several varieties of hot peppers (and it's too late to start them for this season) plus several varieties of tomatoes. About $40 of seeds in all. There are definitely varieties that were not previously on any of my 'want lists'! It's really late to start them so I will add them to my trade lists and grow list for next year.

Many of my seedlings survived (so far). I gave them a dose of weak fertilizer consisting of Algamin and PVF Omega 6-6-6. I did, however, manage to fry 2 trays of newly emerging seedlings when trying to get them outside BEFORE they fully emerged. I think my surgeon must have removed part of my brain when removing the mass

Troad, it seems you are correct about the economy and my buying spree. Maybe I should pop a few more pills so we can all get back to work.
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2009   #17
fourtgn
Tomatovillian™

Can you get in a second harvest in Georgia? If so, maybe you could start some of your new seed collection for that.

fourtgn
fourtgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2009   #18
natural
Tomatovillian™

Hi fourtgn,

I haven't had much luck with later plantings of heirloom tomatoes. I have to plant on the earlier side just to outrun the diseases. If I plant later, then I can only harvest a few for seed-saving. I may do that.

Thanks,
Bill
Old March 24, 2009   #19
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Bill-Glad that you are doing your part helping to reduce the national debt. I will give you my address then you can pop a few pills and I can get something in the mail other than bills!
Seriously how are you holding up? pain some better? any headaches? Take care of yourself and remember to not do too much too soon. Sorry the nurse in me!
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2009   #20
natural
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Kat.

Pain is some better. More sporadic than constant. Some headaches, but not too bad. I didn't realize how many internal stitches there were until my last follow-up appt.
Unfortunately, I've had some other post-surgical issues that fall under the category of "the cure being worse than the disease". I'm less mobile now than I was before surgery. My wife and kids will do all of the "real work" for awhile.

I can relate to the bills in the mailbox. Every day is another shipment of medical bills coming from all sides. I think I am suffering from a new disorder MAD "Mailbox Anxiety Disorder".
Old March 25, 2009   #21
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Bill I am still getting bills from almost 1.5 years ago! I almost blew a gasket at that one. I don't have many gaskets left!
Does it look long term or more short term as far as mobility? Also if vision or equilibrium has been altered you might find yourself having more falls. Don't have to answer if you don't feel comfortable Anything to do with head and/or brain is very scary
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2009   #22
troad
Tomatovillian™

Bill,
Not to worry about frying a few seedlings. Obviously the surgeon did not mess with your sense of humor.
Get well and good luck with the garden.
Len
Old March 26, 2009   #23
natural
Tomatovillian™

Hi Len and Kat,

Thanks for the well wishes. Things will get better little by little. Just having tomato seedlings growing makes everything else better.

Kat, it should be a short-term mobility issue. Bad timing though. It is tomato potting time. Equilibrium was bad before the surgery. I actually expect it to improve soon.The only mental confusion that I am suffering from is from trying to interpret the medical bills.

I will have to delegate all of the potting up to my wife ( I hope we both can survive this). I may end up with a trowel lodged in my head by the time I finish giving instructions. Just kidding here. My wife has gradually taken over many of the jobs the last few years with great success.
Old March 27, 2009   #24
fourtgn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural View Post
The only mental confusion that I am suffering from is from trying to interpret the medical bills.
You do realize that this type of confusion doesn't get any better! If you ever do make sense of them, you will know that you are in trouble......

fourtgn
fourtgn is offline   Reply With Quote