Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 31, 2009   #16
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Good deal, Steve (I expect a 10% "commission check" in the mail..)

Ray
errrrr.... 10 tomato seeds ok?

~* Robin
Old January 31, 2009   #17
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Robin,

I'll take tomato seeds over cash ANYTIME!

At least you can plant the seeds and get something out of it. Try planting a Quarter and see what you get.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2009   #18
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

well if you remember where you plant the quarter then you will get the quarter back less inflation. If you invest it then you will lose the quarter as well as the shirt on your back. If you plant the seeds then you have food so yes better return unless you spend more money on fancy upgrades to garden those said seeds. I am hopefully turning the corner this next couple of seasons where I will actually recoup more than I put in if that is possible. It would probably be more economical for me to bury the quarter.
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2009   #19
red

Quote:
Originally Posted by newatthiskat View Post
I am hopefully turning the corner this next couple of seasons where I will actually recoup more than I put in if that is possible. It would probably be more economical for me to bury the quarter.
Kat
Oh panic for real, the bank's fraud unit just called to find out if all the credit card purchases for seed and supplies were legit! Yes..they really did. The panic however was that I was overdrawn. For a moment I was wondering if I had a quarter! ps Ray there likely won't be a quarter but you got a deal if I can be successful with seeds
Steve in Carolina
Old January 31, 2009   #20
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Good deal, Steve. I look forward to exchanging seeds with you come October (just remember to take that Credit Card away from your Wife!!!!!).

Ray
Old February 1, 2009   #21
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

I'm using something similar that I got from Park Seeds and I've used it for the last 3 years, and like it. It survives my abuse! I wish the plugs weren't so tall though. And I'm not sure how long I should keep them before replanting! I'd like to keep them in there until I replant in the garden. How big do y'all let them get in those plugs?
vermiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2009   #22
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermiit View Post
I wish the plugs weren't so tall though. And I'm not sure how long I should keep them before replanting! I'd like to keep them in there until I replant in the garden. How big do y'all let them get in those plugs?
I often let the plants get to 4 inches tall; at the max: 6 inches (if the weather gets a cold snap.)

I once let a hollyhock stay in a plug with a tray with no other soil in it. I let it stay there till fall rolled around, I kept it fed & watered. The plant did real well though, the roots were about 2 foot long & bulky, the plant was 2 & a half foot tall. I planted it the ground in the fall & it was surprisingly hardy the next year! It was just a test to see how long the roots would grow, & if it could survive after waiting so long to get planted in the ground.

Tomato plant that was tested that way had to go into the ground sooner at 2 foot tall. It had such massive roots with the stem rooting out all over the place. The basil & pepper plant did the same too. It was fun to watch them grow like that, & they produced a lot! But I have no pictures to show, as my hard drive went kablooey. I was waiting till the end of the project to post pictures of them. So I wouldn't get any strange comments.

Oh, I forgot to say that the plugs were left in 2 inch cell pots all the time they were in the water; cut off from the rest of the cell packs.

~* Robin
Old February 1, 2009   #23
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

vermiit,

I like the Rapid Rooter grow plugs better then the Parks ones as they stand up on their own. At 30 days since I started the seedlings, everything has germinated except KBX and one Big Beef.

As the roots were getting about 2" long growing out of the Rapid Rooters, I have filled in the tray with Miracle-Gro Potting Mix. These will then go out into 6"x6" sections in 2 "incubator" EarthTainers in 3 weeks for the next phase. Today, I need to build 2 Cold Frame covers for these EarthTainers. 73 degrees here in San Jose today so Spring is on its way!

Ray
Old February 1, 2009   #24
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

Yes, from the pics, I like the height and shape of your RR'ers better than the Park plugs! I was wondering what it would be like to get a bunch of sterile potting mix, and put some very dilute colorless, flavorless gelatin over it, then cut them out like brownies for some home made plugs...you think?

This year my plants will be all in the ground, but I'm going to definitely keep my eye out for 31 gallon containers on sale to make some of your earthtainers! I wish I lived closer to you in case I need to shout out for assistance! I'm afraid we're in for a very dry year(s)...
vermiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2009   #25
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

vermiit,

Some folks fuss with their seedlings with heating pads, special soil, fertilizers - - maybe I am just plum LAZY, but I kind of stick the seed into the Rapid Rooters, put the tray in the kitchen window, water a bit, then I will throw them outside into the incubator 'Tainers come Feb 22 or so. They seem to survive somehow.....

Would be happy to help you make some EarthTainers anytime. Funny thing - - instead of watching the SuperBowl this afternoon, I just finished building 4 new EarthTainers for an 81 yr. old couple up in Oakland.

Anyway, if you ever need phone or email assistance in the construction process, just let me know.

Ray
Old February 2, 2009   #26
Penny
Tomatovillian™

Great links, thanks!
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2009   #27
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Interesting post. I think we have a couple of hydroponics places in my town. Will check it out. Thanks.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2009   #28
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Just a quick update. All have now germinated, with the KBX taking their time at 32 days!! Here is a photo today, 6 weeks after starting the seeds:

They will be going outside into 2 incubator 'Tainers in about 10 days.

Ray