Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 26, 2019   #16
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway View Post
Not specific to the brand discussed, but I had a horrific seedling year last year thanks I believe to a bad coir block. Bought a big bag of pro mix and a miracle gro seed starter and had significantly better results on a test grow out compared to the coir I used last year. Lesson learned.
Some of the coco coir is really poorly processed, still retaining it's hydrophobic tendencies, which makes it maddening to work with.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2019   #17
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoose View Post
This stuff is toxic I threw out all the soil and replanted all my seedlings. I do not think this stuff would even grow weeds!!

Then you haven't seen Florida weeds!
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2019   #18
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Just stay away from the ones that list "forest products" as an ingredient and I think you will be fine. The miracle grow products just wet their mixes with their fertilizer. No different than making a very dilute fertilizer solution for seedlings in a good mix.

I still recommend mixing your own.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2019   #19
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
Stick with a quality bagged soil or make your own is the best bet.

I am shocked people still use miracle grow. If you don't know how evil Bayer, Monsanto, Scott's are, same company btw, just Google "Scott's miracle grow settlements". These people have broken every law possible. From using illegal pesticides, toxic nuclides in the soils and blue poison powder, importing illegal pesticides and relabeling to approved pesticides, the ongoing roudup debacle, killing all the bees, Terminator genes, that's just the tip of the iceberg. A little quick Google search has all the info you will need to steer clear of these maniacs.

These people can't be trusted. They have done every single evil thing possible to cut corners and market poisons.

I don't normally yap on about things like this but I see a lot of people still using this stuff and I feel I need to let people know that they are supporting the devil himself by purchasing these products. Not to mention what they are putting in their bodies unknowingly by using these products.

Please don't take offense or think I'm some ranting fool. I just care about the planet, it's people, and clean chemical free organic food.

Just say No to MiracleGro, EarthGro and Monsanto

Last edited by seaeagle; March 26, 2019 at 08:55 PM.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2019   #20
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Ten thumbs down for MG. No questionable junk for me ever again. Yes, I expect tomatoes but I should have known better than fall for this a food grade mix. I bought MG as a last resort when we had residual icy roads for a full month this year. What a miserable heavy wet product to work with. The seedlings I potted up with quality mixes on hand (Happy Frog and Espoma) are growing normally, while the MG is struggling to keep up. I had losses with MG and none with the other mixes.

This weekend I"m heading to the nursery to buy a midgrade 2 cu ft Fertilome or Fafard for the remainder of my seedlings. Both are consistent and clean, have done well for me in the past, and no icky stuff to filter out. The rest of the MG bag can go to fill low spots on the lawn.

-Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2019   #21
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
Some of the coco coir is really poorly processed, still retaining it's hydrophobic tendencies, which makes it maddening to work with.

Scooty, if you only need a small quantity of coir. you might try Wondersoil. It is fabulous for germinating peppers and herbs. No problems with hydration what-so-ever. One wafer goes a long way for small plants. I do not use it for potting up, I switch to regular peat mixes or I'd go broke.
On the flip side, Coco Loco is too wet. Not happy with that!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2019   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I personally can't get on the anti Monsanto bandwagon.
Sorry.
My reasoning is almost every large corporation has problems and an evil past and or present.
If I were to ban them all I would be living in the stone age or very close to it.

Had fantastic luck with MG Nature's care raised bed soil for tomato starts mixed with pearlite.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2019   #23
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Doing Fine Now

After the re-potting my toms are doing fine, never again for the Kellogg junk!
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2019   #24
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Have best results with Happy Frog.
Harry Cabluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2019   #25
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

I emailed Scott's and here is the response I got concerning bio-solids in their products.

Thank you for contacting us and for the opportunity to help you with your lawn and garden endeavors.

The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company and subsidiaries do not use biosolids or Milorganite in any of the products manufactured or distributed by them.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in our products. Please feel free to contact us anytime we may be of assistance.

Pamela
Brand Ambassador
The Scotts Company and Subsidiaries
14111 Scottslawn Road
Marysville, OH 43041
800-543-8873
Ref #13781360
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2019   #26
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I would not grow in coconut coir at all unless it's aged and dark brown. Learned this the hardway. It's the same as growing in fresh woodchips, which tie up all the nutrients while it's breaking down.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2019   #27
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Have best results with Happy....oops, already said that.
Old April 8, 2019   #28
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cabluck View Post
Have best results with Happy....oops, already said that.
LOL!
Old April 14, 2019   #29
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

heh! heh!
Old April 14, 2019   #30
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

what happened with the coir? that stuff is nothing but coconut fiber.