Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 6, 2006   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

PV,

Stuff got mixed up and I accidentally deleted your post where you said that back in the 60's and 70's you didn't want a viper in your herb.

I tried to answer but instead of my avatar I got yours instead and when I tried to delete that I guess I deleted your whole post, but I have recreated it here, all to conclude that:

You can speak for yourself re your herb, but I mowed my herba.
Old September 6, 2006   #17
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

The mind boggles!!!!!, and I still dont know if anyone actualy bought any and grew them out- I am no wiser now then when I first asked the question. 8)
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2006   #18
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

After all the hype about Clint Eastwoods Rowdy Red on Tomatofest web site, I thought hundreds of people would have bought it and grown it this season.

I was going to do so, then decided against it and to wait and see first what others thought to it, how it grew- and any problems that occured etc, etc, plus the fact that there seemed to be a low germination problem from certain parts of California earlier in the year,so I thought I would give it at least one season to get going a bit before I lashed out the $4.00 or so to try it.

But from what I have read above (in between the clowning around ) it seems that hardly anybody grew it or even bothered to even try it.
Old September 6, 2006   #19
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Michael I read several posts about low germination from seeds from there so haven't tried any yet. Was thinking I might this year so I can see what experience I have. The seeds are rather pricey if you don't get any germination. JD
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2006   #20
travis
Tomatovillian™

It's really really hard to believe that you guys would begrudge the price of Rowdy Red when poor Gary is donating "a portion of each sale of Clint Eastwood's Rowdy Red tomato seeds ... to the 'Days of Taste,' an educational program for 4th and 5th grade students by the American Institute of Wine & Food." What in the world could be a better cause than turning young folks into winos
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2006   #21
landarc
Tomatovillian™

Actually, you would be doing those young'ns a favor by getting them hooked of very good food and wine as, with proces for good wine and fine food escalating the way they are, they won't be abel to afford to become winos.

wee, oui, wheeee! take your pick

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2006   #22
matermama
Tomatovillian™

Default hee hee

Papa vic
that is to funny, "aye"
I told my parents about the tomato event in Carmel, they were looking forward to going but soon discovered how much it cost , my dad said " i don't love tomatos that much " LOL
It all goes to good charitys but that is one pricey tomato.I think my dad is just cheap :wink:
Apparently there is controversy in Carmel about Clint buildning a golf course .
sue
matermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2006   #23
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael johnson
After all the hype about Clint Eastwoods Rowdy Red on Tomatofest web site, I thought hundreds of people would have bought it and grown it this season.
Michael,
Perhaps some were scared to even try it, because after all, it's "one of those big, bold tasting tomatoes that is not for sissies." (Ugh. Who actually puts stuff like that in a description and expects to be taken seriously?) Btw, that was the same spiel that was used to market Julia Child.

Anyway, out of all the mentions of it (over 150 hits on google (i.e. mostly PR), I've not seen any discussions where folks are commenting on the taste and results from actually growing it out themselves. Nothing on DG or GW either.

Strange, because I would expect to see at least a few comments whether folks liked it or not.

There is a thread on Tomatomania about it, but again, I didn't notice any actual discussion of taste (I did flip through it rather quickly, though).

Suze
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2006   #24
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure on this but a guy I don't know tried it and only got 3 tomatoes, one good, one bad and one ugly.
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2006   #25
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkwc36
Michael I read several posts about low germination from seeds from there so haven't tried any yet. Was thinking I might this year so I can see what experience I have. The seeds are rather pricey if you don't get any germination. JD
Elk,

This concerned me so daggone much, I emailed Gary about it ...

"(There are reports that) there was some trouble experienced germinating Rowdy Red ... have you done any germination tests for that seed, and if so, what were your results?"

Mr. Ibsen ... some folks out on the Gold Coast call him "The Tomatoman" ... replied:

"Hi Bill, I have done germination tests to more than 85% results. However, I will happily replace your seeds for next year with free seeds. Gary"

So see, there should be no concern in that regard

PV
Old September 8, 2006   #26
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

I new Gary would get on top of the problem eventualy- things seemed to go to pot for a while when he was very ill for some time, and couldnt realy take part in overseeing his own business running, etc, ( you just cant get the staff these days ) but now he seems to have recovered to almost his old self again_ I expect most people can safely order stock again with no probs,

I have always found him to be a fair decent sort of man and I wish him well.

Although talking about (Julia Child ) when I bought seed for it a few years ago I didnt think much of the tomatoes regarding flavour-very ordinary.
Old September 8, 2006   #27
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137
Am I ever enjoying this thread and keeping my fingers as silent as I can re the actual question asked.
Me too, Carolyn...me too.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2006   #28
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Papa Vic after I posted that message I emailed him about what varieties he suggested for this area and heat. He replied the fastest of any I've emailed so far. Him and Lisa at Amishland and Micki at Skyfire have been the only ones willing to offer suggestions so far. I will order a few from each of them for the fact I feel that shows the willingness to offer customer service. Guess some don't want to go out on the limb and offer opinions. I plan on ordering the Rowdy Red along with a few others. Will be able to better judge next year. But very impressed with the time he took to answer the question and explain his answers. In fact the same with all three. I don't mind paying more for seeds if I get customer service and my emails answered. JD
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2006   #29
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Cant work out what some of the posts mean ?
Old September 9, 2006   #30
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkwc36
Papa Vic after I posted that message I emailed him about what varieties he suggested for this area and heat. He replied the fastest of any I've emailed so far. Him and Lisa at Amishland and Micki at Skyfire have been the only ones willing to offer suggestions so far ... I don't mind paying more for seeds if I get customer service and my emails answered. JD
JD,

I agree that both Gary (if it's really him answering ... or a staffer signing his name) and Lisa both return one's emails promptly and their answers are to the point, but ...

All my emails to Victory, TGS, and the lady at Chuck Wyatt's Heirloom Seeds have been answered just as promptly and the answers given addressed exactly what my request or question was.

Appalachian Seeds, who's not even back up and running their sales department yet, will answer your emails regarding varieties they used to grow and hope to offer again at their new location.

Burpee even answers emails, although not in a very informative or to-the-point manner.

I've never grown any Tomatofest seeds, so I shouldn't comment on their vigor or trueness to hype ... I mean description ... but I didn't get true to description results from the seeds I got from Amishland Seeds.

Good luck with your garden. I know it's hard for you to beat the heat where you grow ... it was awful here this summer. Did you try Sioux, one of the Homesteads, or any of the heat setting hybrids?

PV