Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 20, 2011   #16
JoeP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr6404 View Post
Joe
I forgot,If you meant Galinas and Not Galina I can vouch that Galinas a Potato Leaf,yellow Cherry Tomato is a winner. It has never failed me. It is a Highly Productive that will bear fruit until you get a hard freeze
JWR,

Yes. I meant Galina's potato leaf, yellow cherry. I am looking forward to it in my tomato patch this year.

I grew Red Brandywine last year (regular leaf) and had a few tomatoes that were great. I want to give it another try in a hopefully better summer. Box Car Willie was next to it and did not ripen any. It is listed as a cool climate tomato on the Tomatofest website but Red Brandywine seemed to do better for me in adverse weather. Go figure!

I grew many, many tomatoes last year that did not ripen at all. I got a couple of Pruden's Purple, Olena Ukranian, and Aunt Ginny's Purple and all were very disappointing. Can't tell if it was just bad weather (or first fruits that were bland) or if perhaps I just don't like Pink tomatoes. This was why my list of pinks were so small. Everyone raves about Brandywine Sudduth (and SOTW) so maybe I'll find a spot for it. The NAR sounds attractive as well. It was difficult to narrow my list to just 21. I've been given more positive possibilities than I have warnings on my selections. More contemplating in my future.
JoeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2011   #17
JoeP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr6404 View Post
Joe
I have grown both the Sudduth strain and the Brandywine Red Regular Leaf(RL) the BW (RL) was earlier and far more productive but the Tomatoes were smaller. Check out Tania's Data Base and/or Tomato Growers Supply on the Tomatoville seeds and plants sources.
JWR,

Do you do anything special to grow Brandywine Sudduth and NAR here - like under a cloche, WOWs, wrapped cages? Are these later ones best grown staked with 1, 2, or 3 leaders or in a cage with all the foliage they naturally produce?
JoeP is offline   Reply With Quote