Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 25, 2015   #16
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
If really it has to be a break through, has to be a GMO. But a lot of people are negative about it.
Well I am testing a potential breakthrough this year, and it isn't a GMO. Potentially it could be as big a breakthrough as Mycorrhizal fungi. Imagine an inoculate that could be added to seeds that turn your old heirloom variety into a drought resistant and more productive cultivar...and you could add it to any cultivar? I am field trialing just such an endophyte on my peppers tomatoes and sweet corn!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #17
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

A blue tomato that tastes good.
Old March 25, 2015   #18
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

I would love to see:

-A tasty true white tomato with purple stripes.
-A tasty true white tomato with metallic green striping.
-A tasty green tomato with red stripes that red when its ripe.
-Stakeless upright tomato that tops out at 5 feet AND has beautiful full very bluish leaves.
-A tasty blue tomato with yellow striping.
-Very early (50 days) described as excellent taste that thrives in the north.
-A tasty any color completely resistant to bacterial speck.
-Tasty varieties that do well with partial sun and even prefer it.
Tasty plants gorgeous enough to be used as edible landscaping in the front yard of a snotty neighborhood.

Stacy

Last edited by bughunter99; March 25, 2015 at 09:29 AM.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I decided to go a different direction and here's what I'm considering doing.

I'm going to subcontract out to some local growers to do some grafting for me, three per plant, and the rootstock will be Celebrity F1 which has been shown to be an excellent rootstock, actually no need for the disease tolerances it has if I'm only going to sell plants near where I live since not much soilborne disease here, but I may change my mind if I decide to expand this project.

Each grafted plant will have three similar varieties, such as all hearts, all pink beefsteaks, all red beefsteaks, all GWRipes, all pastes , all yellow/oranges and all cherries.

So with maybe 7 plants the grower will have a fantastic selection of tomato varieties.

The project is in it's infancy, there are other pssibilities as well, as to three grafts/plant from different countries, etc.

And of course I will supply seeds for the rootstock as well as all varieties to be used.

Pricing/plant? Who knows right now, to be decided after I see how things progress.

Carolyn
Old March 25, 2015   #20
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Is grafting better for the south where apparently there are more disease problems? Grafting seems to be the latest thing but I don't know why.
Old March 25, 2015   #21
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I think its only a matter of time before they are able to genetically enginner a tomato to grow little bitty watermelons and cantalopes.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #22
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I decided to go a different direction and here's what I'm considering doing.

I'm going to subcontract out to some local growers to do some grafting for me, three per plant, and the rootstock will be Celebrity F1 which has been shown to be an excellent rootstock, actually no need for the disease tolerances it has if I'm only going to sell plants near where I live since not much soilborne disease here, but I may change my mind if I decide to expand this project.

Each grafted plant will have three similar varieties, such as all hearts, all pink beefsteaks, all red beefsteaks, all GWRipes, all pastes , all yellow/oranges and all cherries.

So with maybe 7 plants the grower will have a fantastic selection of tomato varieties.

The project is in it's infancy, there are other pssibilities as well, as to three grafts/plant from different countries, etc.

And of course I will supply seeds for the rootstock as well as all varieties to be used.

Pricing/plant? Who knows right now, to be decided after I see how things progress.

Carolyn
"Triple Play" grafts! Love it Carolyn!
Although maybe you are thinking more of a "stacked" or petiole graft with the inclusion of the rootstock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
Is grafting better for the south where apparently there are more disease problems? Grafting seems to be the latest thing but I don't know why.
Paul,
Definitely more soil borne issues down south as the freezing temps up north help to keep them at a minimum.
Grafting has definitely become more mainstream, even more so now that Bonnie's sells grafted plants at almost every big box store. (not advocating Bonnie's in any way)
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #23
Tim Cushing
Tomatovillian™

I would like to learn to breed my own varieties, as I would like to see if I can develop more heat and drought tolerant varieties for the Southwest. I see potential in the wild relatives of S. Lycopersicum.

With that in mind, I have found that many of the so-called "cold-tolerant" varieties actually do very well here in Tucson!
Tim Cushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #24
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

I'm the next big thing.....Giant tomato wise that is.
Old March 25, 2015   #25
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Grafting is really intresting idea, one I want to play with someday.living in a city I have limited space...if 5 plants could yield 10 different, or 15 different tomatoes I woud be in heaven!

It sounds like many peo0le are trying to solve some basic problems of drought and disease, but without sacrificing taste.
LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #26
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

It'd be real nice if they would develop a tomato "tree" that you could tap like a Maple to get the sauce!
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #27
tuncse
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_go View Post
I'm hoping one day to see:

1. Frost-tolerant tomato - so I could plant them in the ground in April and wouldn't care about night frosts
2. Perennial tomato - the one which would die down to the ground in late fall and then sprout back in spring - bigger and stronger than previous year, sort of like a peony bush.
3. Long-keeper good tasting tomato which can last let's say till January and still taste great.
Maybe, "glow-in-the-dark" tomato? My son would be happy for sure.
I saw a couple of days ago someone is selling perennial tomato seeds on Aliexpress. Has anyone tried these tomatoes?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...866640167.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Perennial tomato plant.jpg (95.3 KB, 190 views)
tuncse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #28
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

As long as this is becoming wished for next big things, why not wish for a breeding or genetic procedure that transfers the desired characteristics of strong rootstocks to regular favorite tomato varieties.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015   #29
Garf
Tomatovillian™

I'm still looking for something that can survive a summer here in the swamps of Miami, Florida.
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015   #30
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garf View Post
I'm still looking for something that can survive a summer here in the swamps of Miami, Florida.
If you find it, let me know!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote