Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 9, 2015   #16
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Lookin good Zenbaas! Those greens look amazing
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2015   #17
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Impressive indeed!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2015   #18
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

So here are some cucumbers that I have decided to grow using the Kratky method. So for those who do not know what this method entails it's basically where you fill the container with water and nutrients, then you place your small seedling so the roots just touch the water and as they roots grow into the nutrient solution the exposed roots then develop the ability to absorb O2. So it's as low maintenance as you get.

uploadfromtaptalk1444997874033.jpg
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2015   #19
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

uploadfromtaptalk1445066793982.jpg

Little Munchkin went to raid the veggie rack this morning and grabbed himself some store bought roma tomatoes for breakfast.
Old October 17, 2015   #20
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

So I need some input from the more experienced folk here at tomatoville.

As you can see in the picture below I have a NFT system set up on the right hand side. Now this was version 2 and had some good improvements but I already have many ideas for even more. (hindsight is a great and annoying thing).

We do not use nearly enough of all the goodies growing there and being more of an tomato fundie I was thinking of expanding my Dutch buckets to the right hand side and removing the NFT system.

My thinking is that I could squeeze in two rows of well placed Dutch buckets spaced at different levels (lower in front higher in the back). Now sunlight as you can imagine is mostly limited to the afternoon hence the staggered approach.

Now that is all and dandy but indeterminates won't work for the small space. I haven't read many good things about determinates which leaves Dwarf tomatoes as the preferred choice.

Could this work? I know the only way to be sure of course would be to try it out. Then the second challenge would be getting hold of some tasty well producing Dwarf tomatoes.

uploadfromtaptalk1445067486182.jpg
Old October 17, 2015   #21
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

What's the problem with determinates? I have a few that I like a lot.

And "tasty dwarf" is a redundant phrase, as long as you avoid hybrids, and especially if you grow the Dwarf Project varieties.

I can mail you some seeds if you think they would get there ok.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2015   #22
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I have to make sure all tomatoes are washed thoroughly 'cause my teenagemutantninjaturtle strikes in the early AM too!

Lots of good det and indet bushy plants that could fit.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2015   #23
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
What's the problem with determinates? I have a few that I like a lot.

And "tasty dwarf" is a redundant phrase, as long as you avoid hybrids, and especially if you grow the Dwarf Project varieties.

I can mail you some seeds if you think they would get there ok.
I have NO experience with determinates so I was basing my opinion on the writings of Craig LeHoullier in his book Seem like I'll have to apologize to determinates as I would hate to offend any tomato unnecessarily..!

If you can spare a few seeds I would appreciate it. The packets I have sent to the states have arrived thus far so I'm hoping the same is true for the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
I have to make sure all tomatoes are washed thoroughly 'cause my teenagemutantninjaturtle strikes in the early AM too!

Lots of good det and indet bushy plants that could fit.
this turtle problem does seem to be developing into an epidemic of sorts. I will have to get out some heavy pesticides to see if I can get it under control..!

Now this brain of mine is working overtime trying to convince me to start doing all this within this season still. Our winter only hits around May/June 2016 but with another small ninja turtle on the way in less than three weeks I'll have to pick my battles very carefully.

And lastly just went and watered my container tomatoes with my first batch of Compost tea. It was nice and frothy with an earthy smell.
Old October 30, 2015   #24
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenbaas View Post
So here are some cucumbers that I have decided to grow using the Kratky method. So for those who do not know what this method entails it's basically where you fill the container with water and nutrients, then you place your small seedling so the roots just touch the water and as they roots grow into the nutrient solution the exposed roots then develop the ability to absorb O2. So it's as low maintenance as you get.

Attachment 53829
Cucumbers growing nicely. I think the container is a bit on the small side (55L)so I'll have to add a float valve about 3/4 the way down the bucket connected to a smaller 10L bucket higher up that I can just top up with nutes.

uploadfromtaptalk1446223932447.jpg
Old October 30, 2015   #25
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Nice pics.

Sweet Success is my favorite cuke variety. I don't even like to eat cucumbers, except for them.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2015   #26
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

You have a nice growout there Zenbass.For me,the dutch bucket would be preferable,mainly due to the expense of having to run 2 buckets.Used buckets here typically cost $3-4 each (used),and often don't even come with a decent lid.I will need to source an alternative to cut the expense.Maybe a plastic waste basket or similar.Then I will have to fashion a lid...or let it go topless.I would think a lid would cut down on evaporation,so I will likely have to do that.
Old November 9, 2015   #27
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicalgrower View Post
You have a nice growout there Zenbass.For me,the dutch bucket would be preferable,mainly due to the expense of having to run 2 buckets.Used buckets here typically cost $3-4 each (used),and often don't even come with a decent lid.I will need to source an alternative to cut the expense.Maybe a plastic waste basket or similar.Then I will have to fashion a lid...or let it go topless.I would think a lid would cut down on evaporation,so I will likely have to do that.
For the most part it's a one off cost where you'll have to bite the bullet. Seeing as you are in SE Asia maybe you can have a look at these guys who keep on messaging me with prices...?
Quote:
Dear Mr.Zenbaas,
Have a nice day!
Sorry for disturbing you.
I have not received your feedback about our plastic buckets for a long time, what's wrong with it?

Now due to the material price goes down, we offer a good price for your reference.
Picture
Size
40HQ
(PCS)
Dimension(mm)(Top*Bottom*Height)
Lid Price
Bucket Price(FOB) Remark
20L plastic bucket 7462 294*264*365 0.50 usd/pc
1.75 usd/pc
Virgin PP, Any other sizes available(5L,13L,15L,etc)
20L Square bucket 6192 265*235*386 0.55 usd/pc
2.25 usd/pc
Virgin PP, Any other sizes available(5L,13L,15L,etc)
If you have any question, please feel free to contact me.
We will be appreciated for your soon reply.

Best Regards!
Estelle Shi/ Sales

Mail: estelle@innopack.com
Suzhou Innovation Packaging Material Co.,Ltd.
Tel: +86 512-66192426 ext 625 Fax: +86 512-66192485
Add: 4F, Building 4, No. 71, Nanhu Road, Wuzhong District, Suzhou, China

As for lids, some people leave them open if they"re in a greenhouse and closed if they're outside. It all depends really.
Old November 9, 2015   #28
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Some updated pics :
uploadfromtaptalk1447085137954.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1447085233256.jpg

Some Brandywine Sudduth tomatoes growing.
uploadfromtaptalk1447085282341.jpg

Black from Tula.

uploadfromtaptalk1447085350354.jpg

Little helper buzzing some tomato blossoms

uploadfromtaptalk1447085387788.jpg
Old November 17, 2015   #29
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Tasted my first black from tula tomato today and must say it was mild but very flavourful. I shared with the SO so it was gone before I knew it.

I have a Cherokee Purple ripening up as well on the counter so can't wait for that.

Also have a Brandywine Sudduth blushing so I'm quite excited.

I must say in the past two years I really haven't tasted any tomatoes that I care to remember or recommend. Black Zebra and Tigerella were very unremarkable for me nearing spitter status. Same goes for Valentine and bland Roma (can't even remember the variety).
Old November 17, 2015   #30
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Looking good, fresh fruit is something I don't have right now. lol
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote