Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 17, 2013   #16
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
A better use of money might be to build an arbor inside your property and come Fall, relocate these vines.
I agree with Linda and it is a reminder to us all that while we may love to watch our plants grow...others may not enjoy it in the least. There are some people who like neat and tidy and others see beauty in a hodge podge of plants and vines.

Maybe your neighbor is a neat and tidy person. If so, seeing vines climbing along a fence might be an eyesore to her. She put a fence up to hide it, so it must bother her to see it.

Move your stuff in to where you have control over it.
Old June 17, 2013   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I woke up this morning to this horrific thread.

So you are saying this feud has been going on for years and it started with this woman's mother?

Then you said that these people are so called street fighters.
Could you please tell us more about these folks and what else they do in the neighborhood?

It is obvious they are angry about something and are using the fence as an outlet for this anger.
If you could figure out what this is you may be able to turn things around.

I can promise you that one bullet begets another bullet and there will be no end to the fighting.
The best thing you can do is to respond to their meanness with kindness 10 times greater than they can dish out.

It takes an average man to continue a war but a great man to end one.
Our world today is full of people that are fighting and have no real idea why they are or when it began.
It is something that has been passed down through the ages and we are all paying a heave toll.

I truly feel for you and your situation with this fence.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013   #18
emcd124
Tomatovillian™

The vines may be more resilient to relocation than you'd think. We have a grape vine that has been in my family for more than 100 years, and it was relocated from Turkey when my armenian great grandparents fled the armenian holocaust. It survived an ocean crossing and then being relocated five times as the family moved around the midwest. The thing currently looks like little shop of horrors and will soon need its own zip code it is so large and productive. It laughs in the face of transplant.

Maybe relocate the growing things to a nice arbor smack in your property and sunshine, take down your fence, and being (what was the term) adversely acquiring the property she left to you on the far side of her fence

you can always try killing her with kindness, cookies and the fruits of your bounty etc. Putting more love out into the world never hurts, except perhaps our own pride. but it also isnt sure to work.
emcd124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013   #19
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

"Street fighters" made me chuckle.. Seriously Op move your vines and let it go.. You catch more bees with honey..Plus, life is way to short just let it go..
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013   #20
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

thinking that Sun City has some logical and positive ideas here...declaring war on a neighbor usually turns out to be a bummer. Every neighborhood has a jerk. Move on....
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013   #21
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

I am in agreement with Sun City and would build my own arbor within my property and this fall relocate the vines. I too think that the vines will transplant well. Use the time till Fall to build an arbor like you want or need and you will have plenty of time to amend the soil at the transplant site to improve the growing aggregate so that the vines will have exactly what they need. I think this will be the best solution.

I think after I moved the vines to the new arbor I would replant in the place that you removed them. Maybe some Chocolate Mint and Honeysuckle might be appropriate.

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013   #22
Douglas_OW
Tomatovillian™

The annals of Case Law are filled with heartaches very much like yours:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...7&slug=1924029

They all have one thing in common- nobody really wins. I truly empathize with you, but I really wouldn’t count on justice or reason to carry the day. If that were the case, you wouldn’t have any problems. It seems like we’ve seen this show a hundred times. Even the greatest minds of the modern era could not resolve these boundary issues- not Daffy Duck, Ralph Cramden, Al Bundy, Ben Cartwright, or even the always affable Donald Duck. Mr. Rogers may be the singular exception to the rule, but I suspect that eventually, there’ll even be a tell-all book about his back story. (Won’t you be… my neighbor?).

From what you’ve written, I believe that your neighbor’s actions are nasty, may or may not be legal, and are difficult, if not impossible, to control. I would concentrate on keeping your vines alive until they can be moved, provided that you have a place to move them.

Good Luck.

Area Man,

Jim
Douglas_OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013   #23
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I loved the story of the grapevine coming to America. I can just see the dear people tending the precious vine on the ship.
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #24
gardenfrog
Tomatovillian™

I appreciate all the advice and good good words from all of you! : )
gardenfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #25
vodreaux
Tomatovillian™

You can't win with everyone.

Maybe you can find something on their property annoys you. Make it possible issue but work on compromise.
vodreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #26
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I woke up this morning to this horrific thread.

So you are saying this feud has been going on for years and it started with this woman's mother?

Then you said that these people are so called street fighters.
Could you please tell us more about these folks and what else they do in the neighborhood?

It is obvious they are angry about something and are using the fence as an outlet for this anger.
If you could figure out what this is you may be able to turn things around.

I can promise you that one bullet begets another bullet and there will be no end to the fighting.
The best thing you can do is to respond to their meanness with kindness 10 times greater than they can dish out.

It takes an average man to continue a war but a great man to end one.
Our world today is full of people that are fighting and have no real idea why they are or when it began.
It is something that has been passed down through the ages and we are all paying a heave toll.

I truly feel for you and your situation with this fence.

Worth
Good post, Worth.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2013   #27
lycomania
Tomatovillian™

I know all about POS people. Do what you have to do to get out of there because they ain't changing. In the meantime, I wouldn't personally blame you for being as annoying as they are.

I have had many wonderful, wonderful neighbors.

edit: Worth's advice is fantastic advice, for maybe 40 years ago. That's the way it should be, but it's not these days. Any
idiot feels justified in his actions whether merited or not, now. You will be able to judge whether your neighbor follows
any kind of decency rules. From what you wrote, it doesn't sound hopeful to me, but I wish you luck.

Last edited by lycomania; June 20, 2013 at 11:57 PM.
lycomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013   #28
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

She can do what she wants on her property including putting up a fence and removing plants that are intruding into her space.

It is really bad manners to plant intrusive plants on a property line. Vines, daylilies, ground covers, bamboo, all of them. She is fully within her rights to rip them out on her side and may have additional legal rights about you planting nuisance plants on the property line depending on what state you are in.

So what can you do?

Dig them up and plant them in a spot that they will enjoy that won't intrude into other peoples space. The moving will probably set them back for a year but in the end they will do much better than what they would do in shaded space.

I'm sorry. Sounds like she put up the fence because she was tired of looking at the vines. To your eye it is "neatly woven in the fence". To hers it is likely a mess of messy vines.

It sucks but I really don't blame her. I'm biased. My neighbor planted "pretty ground cover" under the hedge on our property line. Ten years later I am still trying to get the creeping charlie out of our yard.

Last edited by bughunter99; June 21, 2013 at 09:26 AM.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013   #29
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter99 View Post
She can do what she wants on her property including putting up a fence and removing plants that are intruding into her space.

It is really bad manners to plant intrusive plants on a property line. Vines, daylilies, ground covers, bamboo, all of them. She is fully within her rights to rip them out on her side and may have additional legal rights about you planting nuisance plants on the property line depending on what state you are in.

This applies only if the plants are on her property. She may not and has no legal right to step onto another persons property because something annoys her that is in another persons yard/lawn. There is no clear indication from the first post as to exactly where the fence is placed. If it is on a property line (which probably would violate zoning laws in any state, but what do I know other than where I live?) then she can do whatever she wants as long as she stays on her side of the fence and on her property to do so... But me??? I would do my best to leave this place. the problem will no go away if it is decades in the making and unfortunately the next person will become the victim of the neighbor.
Old June 21, 2013   #30
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Fences built here are on the exact property line, if the fence is not on the line and you want to buy or sell a home it is noted in the survey. Generally, the banks note it and sometimes want it moved to the correct position.

I have a friend who has a nuisance neighbor who has junk cars everywhere and even encroaches onto her property. She is constantly having to deal with all the junk and dogs running free as well. This neighbor did the same thing, pulled all her plants that were on the fence line but within her yard. He is the neighbor noone wants and she has been dealing with him for over 20 years.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote