Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 22, 2018   #1
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Looks great Barb!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018   #2
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default 7 week pictures - taken between rain/wind storms

Thanks HL2601

So after basically no rain for months, it is making up for it over the last few days with huge wind gusts.

Here is a picture taken when it was just cloudy and no rain. SunGreen on left, SO on right.

2 more days until SunLemon's 1 month anniversary since being sowed. It really hung in there for being planted out at 2 weeks.

Observations: SO has set fruit in 4 of the clusters and has more clusters formed / forming. I counted at least 8. I don't see the original fruit set growing too much; definitely not larger than a SunGold at this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SunOrange and SunGr 4-23.jpg (545.1 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg Sun Lemon 4-23.jpg (308.9 KB, 222 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018   #3
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Hi Barb - thanks for posting the pictures. Your plants look really good - SL looks very robust.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018   #4
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default New Pictures - SO and SGreen are 2 months old

First picture is SunOrange and SunGreen on their 2 month birthday. They are very robust plants.

Then some SO fruit.

Next is a SunOrange Clone - 7 days for generating roots; 6 days planted out.

Fourth pic is SunLemon - about 5 weeks old. I don't think you can see it, but it is flowering now.

ETA - Fixed the pictures to display correctly, but out of order so
SunOrange at 2 months since sow follows.

And Last of all is SunGreen, which will be getting a cage extender tomorrow.

I've taken some cuttings of SunGreen; hopefully will get some clones quickly.

Daytime temps are 80-82 all week but night time lows are creeping into the 70-72 range. Hopefully, these being cherry tomatoes will overcome the warm nights and continue to set fruit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SG SO 2 months old.jpg (506.7 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg SunGreen 5-2 2 months old.jpg (356.5 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg SO 5-2 2 mo old.jpg (274.1 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg SO Fruit.jpg (217.0 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg SO Clone 5-1-2018 - 14 days.jpg (336.7 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg SunLemon.jpg (376.9 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by Barb_FL; May 2, 2018 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Fix picture display
Old May 6, 2018   #5
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default First SunOrange started to blush

Size is not as large as expected. Shaped slightly rounder and more squat than Sungold. (BTW - I expected the size to be in the SunChocola category)

Weather is very warm this week low 80s, any days with highs in the 70s will have to wait until late October.

I also have 2 SunGold plants that are still producing a lot of SunGolds and another one that was a clipping, planted earlier and is slightly larger and have tons of green sungolds.

What I am trying to say is that the comparison of SunOrange and SunGold will be easy and obvious.

-----
SunGreen is producing a lot of tomatoes; has totally caught up in fruit set with SO;
shape is more grape vs round.

Next update will be the taste test.
Old May 9, 2018   #6
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Great posts, Barb! Hoping for the best with your SO taste tests.
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2018   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Barb,they look great,I suspect your windy and more coastal position keeps you cooler. Our overnight low was 74, daytime highs have been around 84, mine are winding down. My Sun Golds were still producing but TRMs are doing their thing, and it's late, I don't feel like spraying.
A very kind Tviller sent me several seeds of the entire Sun series, he bought in bulk, so I am especially enjoying this thread with an eye toward late August.
Your Sun Lemon has 2 more beautiful laterals,will you clone them?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2018   #8
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Barb,they look great,I suspect your windy and more coastal position keeps you cooler. Our overnight low was 74, daytime highs have been around 84, mine are winding down. My Sun Golds were still producing but TRMs are doing their thing, and it's late, I don't feel like spraying.
A very kind Tviller sent me several seeds of the entire Sun series, he bought in bulk, so I am especially enjoying this thread with an eye toward late August.
Your Sun Lemon has 2 more beautiful laterals,will you clone them?
That's so cool; You will love them. And I was going to surprise you with SunOrange. Did you get Golden Cherry F1 from the stash? That is one that has eluded RGlew and myself. We found it but not from a reliable vender so his germination was zero.

Our over night lows are now in the 70s also. I think we've hit 74 already too.

I have TRMs for awhile now and just spray them up with water 2-3 times a day to keep them at bay. I did this last year too. I'm also using my mister (this is it:
https://www.amazon.com/Fogg-It-Nozzl...=foggit+nozzle
Old May 10, 2018   #9
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default 68 days from sow to mouth

I picked 2 along with some SunGolds and SunChocola. I left the 3rd SO on the plant. I didn't think these were the best SunGolds as I picked a lot from the plants the day before.

My husband and I each got to eat one; He thought the SO tasted better; I thought they were comparable. Skin was not thick - I hate chewy skin.

Once there are a lot more ripe ones and a larger sample size the comparison will be better.

My young SunGold plant (from cutting - planted out earlier than SO) fruit is starting to blush and with this warm weather, ripening will occur quickly.

Here's what they look like next to each other - SO on left (only 2). The brown ones are SunChocola which my husband thought tasted the best and the single red one is Sukara.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SO vs SG.jpg (153.4 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg SO vs others.jpg (198.3 KB, 228 views)
Old May 10, 2018   #10
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Barb, Here is a short vidro on optimal cherry ripening which may be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW079zJnglw
Old May 10, 2018   #11
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the video; hmmm - I've been doing it right all along; I alway pick from the cluster and never pick the entire cluster at one time; I thought it was b/c of how fast everything ripens in FL so some can be ripe while others are totally green. Never knew there was a pattern to it.
Old May 27, 2018   #12
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

This i s some fearsome weather. I hope they are OK.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #13
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

I planted my main garden this past weekend, a full week ahead of schedule. Here is a picture of some of the Tokita Sundee series showing plant sizes. All seeds were planted on the same date, and consistent with Barb’s findings, the Sunorange F1 (“improved Sungold”) is already well ahead of the standard Sungold F1. Other Sundees shown to the left are also much bigger. All of the plants shown except the Sungold F1 have flowers which should open soon, with Sunorange F1 and Sunpeach F1 being the most developed. I had doubles of Sungreen F1, Sunchocola F1 & Sunpeach F1 which were slightly bigger than those shown here, but had been planted in another garden last weekend.

Not shown are Tokita varieties SunLemon F1, Suncherry Extra Sweet F1 FT, Suncherry RB F1 FT and Goldencherry F1 since they took so long to germinate.

Germination:
Sungold F1 - 3 days (Halifax Seeds) 100% germ.
Sungreen F1 - 4 days (Osborne Seeds & Seeds n' Such) 100% germ.
Sunpeach F1 - 4 days (Seeds n' Such) 100% germ.
Sunorange F1 - 5 days (Osborne Seeds) 100% germ.
Sunchocola F1 - 7 days (Harris Seeds) 100% germ.
Suncherry RB F1 FT - 10 days (Seeds n' Such) 75% germ.
Suncherry Extra Sweet F1 FT - 18 days (Seeds n' Such) 75% germ.
Sunlemon F1 - 22 days (unknown) 20% germ.
Goldencherry F1 23 days (Vesey's Seeds) 100% germ.

https://www.tokitasementi.it/wp-cont...ato-cherry.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SunSeries B.jpg (76.8 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by RJGlew; May 28, 2018 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Change "Golden Cherry" to Goldencherry
Old May 28, 2018   #14
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Wow! there is sure a size difference between Sungold and the rest, and they germinated the quickest. I've got SunChocola planted this summer for the first time.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #15
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

RJGlew - Thank you for the update and pictures. The difference between the SO and SG plants is unreal. I hope you keep your updates coming. I will do the same until my season comes to an end.

Pretty much all my plants are still setting fruit but we have had rainy weather and warm nights not to mention Tomato Russet Mites.

I should be able to taste SunLemon this year and really look forward to trying the others come August/September.

GreatGardens - Prepared to be overwhelmed by the # of tomatoes SunChocola produces. Keep us posted how you like it.