Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 2, 2014   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by matilda'skid View Post
Sandhill Preservation Center. They don't update their on-line catalog so you have to ask for a catalog. Once you order from them you get the catalog in the mail in January. The prices are reasonable and the shipping is only $2 or free if you order over $20 worth. You can't order on-line but that doesn't bother me. What I hate is expensive shipping for seeds.
A was said by Habitat Gardener above, Linda Drowns does up date the online catalog each year, but does the paper catalog first.

Glenn called me yesterday about this and that and I said I had some corrections and questions in the paper one that will then be updated for the website and he said Linda was going to be working on the seed updating this coming week.

He also told me of the problems they had getting the paper one printed, snow storms, high winds, ice, getting stuck bringing them home to put the address labels on them and then hauling themto the PO. Remember has a fulltime teaching job.

But I did compliment him on the canteloupe and cherry jam they sent me for Xmas. I'd never had canteloupe jam before and it was delicious. He asked if I wanted more and I said for sure but wait until the person who gets my groceries can bring me some of that new Jif chocolate peanut butter.

Carolyn
Old February 2, 2014   #17
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

?????
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2014   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post
Worth, Have you grown that radish??

Greg
Yes I have but I have to tell you all of my radishes were as hot as a stolen pistol on saturday night that year.

I planted in a new place instead of the regular place.
I think that had something to do with it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2014   #19
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

If I successfully grow a melon this year, I will make jam with it. Wish Sandhill would do online ordering. I understand some of the reasons one wouldn't want to, but it makes it almost impossible for me to order from them!

Good to hear about the black radishes, I got some from Tradewinds Fruit and they're in the ground right now.

You should also look at Pinetree, I've never ordered from them but I've heard good things and they have a really nice selection.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2014   #20
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

This year I bought from Pinetree, Territorial, and Johnny's. If you want huge seed packs, check out Seeds from Italy.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2014   #21
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Pinetree, Sample seeds and Trade Winds Fruit are good place with godd prices and selection.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2014   #22
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

In no particular order

Sample Seeds
Fedco
SandHill
Nichols
Gourmet Seeds
Mainstreet seed and hardware
Stokes
Tradewind Fruits
Baker Creek

I may order from Johnny's this year
Tatiana has stuff besides tomatoes.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2014   #23
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Many of my favorites have been mentioned already but I have several more sites
I also really like. Want to stress what Doug mentioned-Tatiana does have great
stuff besides tomatoes (love her lettuce seeds); she's getting more into hot
peppers, melons, squash.

Others I like are: ohioheirloomseeds.com, whiteharvestseed.com, jungseed,
swallowtailgardenseeds, stokeseeds, lazyoxfarm, genericseeds, sowtrueseed
anniesheirloomseeds, seedsavers.org harrisseeds

Some of the above may be a favorite for flowers, others for vegetable seed.

I probably order more, dollar-wise, from Johnny's---great varieties, seed count,
great germination. Shipping is high-always check for a free shipping code at
retailmenot.com.

Darlene
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2014   #24
sdzejachok
Tomatovillian™

I think the long white radishes tend to be very hot. My father loved those and I could barely eat them.

Here is The Heirloom Legacy Facebook group's favorite Top Ten Seed Companies generated from a recent survey of members. The organic crowd likes Fedco, also. I personally think Johnny's and Seeds of Change are good but expensive. I'm currently disappointed with Burpee (aka Martha Stewart), and am not able to recommend Amishland seeds.
Mixed results for Ebay. Dave's Garden is a website that gives reviews of various companies.
1. Baker Creek
2. Seed Savers Exchange
3. Seeds for Thee
4. Territorial Seed
5. Southern Seed Exposure
6. Johnny's
7. Seeds of Change
8. High Mowing Seeds
9. Annie's Heirloom Seeds
10. Sample Seed Shop
sdzejachok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2014   #25
Mike Maurer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
Me too! And Sand Hill sends generous amounts of seed, too. They do update the online catalog eventually, but the paper copy gets sent out first. iirc, you don't get the catalog any longer if you haven't ordered for a couple years.

I have fairly small gardens so the shipping can be a significant chunk of the total for most seed companies. I especially love to try new-to-me beans and greens, so I look at all the seeds I already have and then try to limit myself to 2 mail orders per year. This year it was Sand Hill Preservation and Solstice Seeds in Vermont. Last year it was Fedco. Other places have included Sample Seed Shop and Bountiful Gardens. I've been tempted by Southern Exposure, Wild Garden Seeds, Trade Winds, and Peace Seeds.

I also find seeds at local garden shops, nurseries, community gardens (open houses), garden-related meetings, an annual garden show, etc.
I'll chime in to vote for Sand Hill too ! I agree, I hate a decent price on seeds and then get sacked for a hefty handling/shipping fee. Pine Tree Garden Seeds has a good selection , reasonable prices and not too bad on shipping either.
Mike
Mike Maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2014   #26
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I've been looking for a few specific peppers so ordered from these places as they had what I needed:
eGardenseed.com
The Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University
Reimerseeds

I can't really rate these places, but I do go there as the topic suggests. I mostly order plants from other nurseries, fruit plants as I grow mostly fruit. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries. And also fruit trees.
Some nurseries with great berry plants are
Indiana Berry
Nourse Farms
Berries Unlimited
Sakuma (this place also grows and sells green tea).

I like to grow the unusual too, but have been trying to refrain. I want a coffee plant, citrus, black pepper vine (I'm going to get this!). And various just cool looking tropical plants. I recently saw a hybrid Jasmine that smells like orange blossoms. I Have 2 already, but man orange blossoms! Yes! These plants are so fragrant! I put the 2 I have in a 2 story 4 bedroom house upstairs, in one of the bedrooms, with the door closed and the house is completely filled with fragrance. Overwhelming. The plant stopped blooming for the winter 2 months ago, but the bedroom still smells like blossoms. Jasmines are the strongest scented flowers in the world. The plants go outside in the spring and the whole yard smells. It only releases scent at night. Night blooming jasmine is the one that is the strongest. The hybrid is with this plant, I'm going to have to buy it. Some hate this scent, it is pungent to say the least! It reminds me of my trips to the Caribbean.
CESTRUM HYBRID - A cross between Cestrum diurnum and Cestrum nocturum. Clusters of tubular orange flowers from June till frost producing the sweet scent of orange blossoms in the evening. A decidious shrub in the south, a houseplant in the northern areas. Zones 7-11..Sun..Attracts hummingbirds

Technically it's not a jasmine, but often sold as one. Jasmines are the genus JASMINUM . Cestrum are AKA jessamines.

Thanks all for the list of seed companies. Pretty cool to chack these all out, some I know but many I do not.

Last edited by drew51; February 3, 2014 at 01:38 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2014   #27
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

If you're getting as much snow today as we are, you may have time to look
at a gardening blog that I have enjoyed reading very much. The blogger
often lists where he makes seed purchases as well as listings that show vendor
and shipping costs. The blog address is www.senior-gardening.com.

On the header, you'll see "the senior-garden blog archive". Click on this and you'll see a chart listing month by month links for the past 5 years, I think.
Generally, the most info about seed vendors and catalogs will be found in
the January monthly blogs. The photos that are posted are just terrific!
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2014   #28
Mike Maurer
Tomatovillian™

I have dealt with The Chilli Pepper Inst. many times, and they are good to order from.
They have seed that is available no where else, plus they developed most of them originally.
Their seed prices seem high, but it includes shipping. Just google the Chilli Pepper Institute, they are a division of New Mexico State University.
Mike
Mike Maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2014   #29
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I am not growing regular radishes, but I am trying Rats Tail Radish. You eat the pods, that taste like radish, and it produces all summer long supposedly.

greygost, I was googling creole tomato. I know tomatofest has them, but was
checking if anyone else sold them. I saw Annies Heirloom Seeds in my search but
never heard of them, so dismissed it. I'll go back and check it out…Thanks
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2014   #30
reddeheddefarm
Tomatovillian™

we are trying rats tail this summer as well. It will be interesting to see if we get the same results
reddeheddefarm is offline   Reply With Quote