Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 5, 2020   #16
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I've seen a couple of different ones, Eel River I believe is one version. I'll definitely get around to trying it.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2020   #17
imp
Tomatovillian™

I would suggest the one from Baker Creek as ut ids it as from seed ffrom Santa Rosa California area and that is the one that I have had and that people would drive so far to get, others I am not familiar with, though I think I have some seed for Eel River too.

The northern California one, like Ha'Ogen and Collective Farm Woman, love and require the heat to really kick butt flavors to come forward. All thre of these are exceptional in taste for me ( Ha'Ogen was the one that I told the story about Rob on, LOL!!) and you should have the heat needed for them.

Keep in mind about Ha'Ogen, the vines can look , mmmm, skimpy?, sort of, sort of wiry and make you think they are not doing really well, but it sometimes is like that but for me, still made lots of fruits.
Old January 5, 2020   #18
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Imp, I've been growing Ha'Ogen for awhile. The first year I grew it I forgot about it in the weeds & still got 4 amazing melons. Never watered it after the first few weeks b/c I didn't have irrigation yet & it still had incredible flavor. I've also never had bug issues with Ha'Ogen. They seem to go for the higher brix melons first.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote