Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 9, 2008   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Granny I have it some some place let me eat this omelet then I'll look around.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2008   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Ok here it is

I used,
1 gallon of 5% white vinegar,
3 cups of sugar
4 tbl spoons of canning salt,
a half bottle of pickling spice,
put above ingredients in large kettle and simmer until the spices have a chance to be incorporated into the vinegar.
Cut slits in the peppers so the pickling juices can enter the inside of the peppers
Pack very tightly in pint jars poor in above pickling juice.
Put in hot water bath for 10-15 minutes.
You know how to can so I will leave it at that.

Here are the peppers that went in the jars.
Scotch bonnet

Martinique

Unknown Red

Trinidad Perfume

Aji Limo

Billy Goat

Jamaican Hot Chocolate

The peppers have a distinct smoky pungent flavor that is common with Jamaican hot chocolate and other peppers of this type.
They are not very sweet but the vinegar taste is killed by the sugar so you just taste the pepper and of course HOT

Used sparingly the peppers are not over hot but the pepper taste almost overpowers the rest of the food.

My next project will be breaking the Peppadew Code.

Worth
Old January 9, 2008   #18
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Yum - thanks, Worth! How was the omelet?
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2008   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Granny the Omelet was good, I sure am glad I can cook for myself and not depend on others or fast food.

Its hard for me to post recipes as I don't really use them.

What I do have is a good working knowledge of what goes where and how to do things.
That comes from years in the kitchen with my mom who was a great cook/gardener and the envy of the local women in the area.

Worth
Old January 9, 2008   #20
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Worth, I often don't use recipes myself. And I still measure mostly as MY grandma did - by eye and in the palm of her hand. I have a lot of daughters and nephews, though, so over the years I have had many a "how do you make" phonecall, so I've gotten to be fairly OK at handing out directions. (Mostly wouldn't call it a "recipe" unless I'm baking.)

I wish I had paid more attention growing up to what my Grandpa did in the garden or had had more opportunity as an adult to have a garden myself. I'm an old pro when it comes to putting food by. Lots of veggies are new to me though.

Now that we have the space and food is so darned expensive I am bound and determined to use every single available inch and turn every last speck that we don't eat right away into something good for the rest of the year.
Old January 9, 2008   #21
Rob
Tomatovillian™

Hi there guys if the urge to grow some really hot peppers should strike you you may want to consider datil peppers.I normally grow a type of habanaro pepper called carribean red and they are punishingly hot but last year i tried the datil and for me they were way hotter than the carrabean reds were.I foolishly bit about a third of a pepper off in the garden and wasted a fresh cold can of beer trying to rinse off my lips.LOL
Old January 9, 2008   #22
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I often don't use recipes myself. And I still measure mostly as MY grandma did - by eye and in the palm of her hand. I have a lot of daughters and nephews, though, so over the years I have had many a "how do you make" phonecall, so I've gotten to be fairly OK at handing out directions. (Mostly wouldn't call it a "recipe" unless I'm baking.)

Funny you mention it Granny. As a Christmas gift request, my wife and I gave my mother a list of 25 of our favorite dishes/soups and asked her to WRITE THEM DOWN on recipe cards for us. I've spent thousands of minutes with her on the phone asking her exactly how much of this and that because we had nothing to go by.
Her best line is 'you'll know when it's enough'. Ugh.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2008   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I was making sausage once and my wife scolded me for not using a measuring spoon.
So I put an amount of salt in my hand and then put it in the spoon.
It came out to exactly 1 tsp as I wanted8)

There were other people around and she told me “Well I guess you think you are hot !@#$ don’t you”.
Then she stormed off.
Then on the way home I got to hear the speech about how conceited and how much of a showoff I was.

Then she had to start in on me about how the young daughter of a friend of mine hung on every word I said and how she didn’t want any of MY sausage.

She told me I could have it all myself.

It was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud come to think of it I did.

It made things worse.

What a hot head, in 1 hour she was back to her normal Red headed self.

To this day I have to FIX her gravy and she would kill me if she knew I have posted this.

Worth
Old January 9, 2008   #24
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post

Funny you mention it Granny. As a Christmas gift request, my wife and I gave my mother a list of 25 of our favorite dishes/soups and asked her to WRITE THEM DOWN on recipe cards for us. I've spent thousands of minutes with her on the phone asking her exactly how much of this and that because we had nothing to go by.
Her best line is 'you'll know when it's enough'. Ugh.

Greg
I asked one of my daughters what she wanted for her birthday in April and she said "A book of the family recipes!" so I guess I have to hack away at the keyboard and find a place to have a pile of copies printed off nicely but cheap so they can all have a copy before I start forgetting stuff

What I love is when they call me from the grocery store to ask how much of X they need to make such and so . . . . .
Old January 9, 2008   #25
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default hot peppers

Worth,you should be ashamed!!! Talking about your better half like that I will stick up for her as she don't know she needs to right now Just think- she has been there to watch over you if you make things to hot and have a heat attack or your dogs Isiaah and i was in the kitchen yesterday using the pepper mash he got for christmas from us to make hot sause,turned out great until he decided to try to shrink rap a plastic sleeve on the top"WITHOUT A LID" ,hubby is calling have to go.... when i went outside!!! Needless to say the whole bottle was then in the boiling water!!!!! What he was thinking I'll never know The whole bottle gone We got him a hotsause making kit from Leeners,he wants the pop making kit next. We ahve been expirmenting with cloves,allspice,garlic..... It's been fun,hubby is calling -have to go
gardenhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2008   #26
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I was making sausage once and my wife scolded me for not using a measuring spoon.
So I put an amount of salt in my hand and then put it in the spoon.
It came out to exactly 1 tsp as I wanted8)
Why of course it came out to exactly 1 teaspoon. Your wife doesn't really like to cook, does she?

BTW, my 10 yo granddaughter thinks measuring like this is the cat's pajamas and has worked very hard to learn to do so. Last week she decided to produce dinner - baked Teriyaki Salmon, steamed broccoli with lemon butter, mashed potatoes and vanilla pudding with pomegranate seeds as a garnish. All out of her head without a cookbook. No mixes. (Her friend was here, so she probably was showing off a little.)
Old January 9, 2008   #27
epiphanista
Tomatovillian™

Granny, please let me beg you - write out your recipes for your family, even if they are in 'handful of this' form. I have a book we compiled of my mom's recipes (and my grandmother's) and I treasure it dearly.

Worth, keep lovin' that redhead! I'll bet her talents are not in the kitchen.

...and I do think a bit of showing off as a cook keeps everyone on their toes - you, because you don't want to screw up in front of people, and them, because they might learn something!

~Thalia
epiphanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2008   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Actually my wife does like to cook but she is a math and English whiz so she thinks everything is an exact.

If I add or take away something to a recipe then she feels that the recipe has been compromised.

If the stove is a little too hot she will turn it off instead of down.
She feels like she has to compete with me so I try to just go away when she cooks.

I just wish I could be like other men in the south and stare under the hood of a car with a beer in my hand and go, "yep".
It would cure a lot of problems.
But it just isn't me.

Worth
Old January 9, 2008   #29
epiphanista
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like my sister, Worth. I didn't learn to cook until I went away to college because my sister ruled the kitchen!

And I say, be yourself and sit yourself ON the hood of that car with a bottle of hotsauce in one hand and something tasty to pour it on in the other.

~Thalia
epiphanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2008   #30
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Actually my wife does like to cook but she is a math and English whiz so she thinks everything is an exact.

If I add or take away something to a recipe then she feels that the recipe has been compromised.

If the stove is a little too hot she will turn it off instead of down.
She feels like she has to compete with me so I try to just go away when she cooks.

I just wish I could be like other men in the south and stare under the hood of a car with a beer in my hand and go, "yep".
It would cure a lot of problems.
But it just isn't me.

Worth
Sounds like you guys need separate kitchens Worth! It must have something to do with the math. I'm a medicinal chemist so you would think that I would be the "exact" one in the kitchen but far and away from it. Baking is chemistry. Cooking is art.

Have you considered one of those fancy outdoor kitchens with the built in grills and burners and smoker and mini fridge and all that jazz I would give my right arm for? No point here though - I would have to wade through snow as deep as my arm pits to reach the darned thing half the year.