Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old January 7, 2014   #16
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
The sale and use of DE for pest control in California is illegal -- and for good reasons. Cesar Chavez was a major proponent of the ban.
Do you have any links to verify that? I've not heard of any bans on food grade DE for pest control anywhere. There may be some local ordinances as far as disposal of filter grade DE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
I purchased a bag of DE in the garden section of a national retailer last year. What else would it be used for in gardening if not pest control?
The finely powdered form of fresh water DE doesn't have much practical use in the garden outside of pest control that I'm aware of, and to be effective as a soft bodied pest killer or a deterrent it must be dry.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2014   #17
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
Do you have any links to verify that? I've not heard of any bans on food grade DE for pest control anywhere. There may be some local ordinances as far as disposal of filter grade DE.
I know that I cannot license DE in any shape or form for sale as a consumer pesticide in California. Also I know that if I see DE (food grade or otherwise) for sale either (1) labeled for use as consumer pesticide or (2) not labeled for use as pesticide but placed next to consumer pesticide products, then I can report it to the CDFA inspector and it will be off the shelf within a day.

Last edited by Hermitian; January 7, 2014 at 12:54 AM. Reason: consumer
Hermitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2014   #18
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I know that I cannot license DE in any shape or form for sale as a consumer pesticide in California. Also I know that if I see DE (food grade or otherwise) for sale either (1) labeled for use as consumer pesticide or (2) not labeled for use as pesticide but placed next to consumer pesticide products, then I can report it to the CDFA inspector and it will be off the shelf within a day.
Where's the law? I want to reads it. I can't find any such reference to a ban on DE as a pest control?
Old January 7, 2014   #19
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Where's the law? I want to reads it. I can't find any such reference to a ban on DE as a pest control?
Ask these folks about registering diatomaceous earth for retail sales to unlicensed consumers in California: http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/

Also, this information on DE safety might interest readers, esp. about DE for pool filters:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatom...considerations

Last edited by Hermitian; January 7, 2014 at 03:01 AM.
Hermitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2014   #20
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ask these folks about registering diatomaceous earth for retail sales to unlicensed consumers in California: http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/

Also, this information on DE safety might interest readers, esp. about DE for pool filters:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatom...considerations
I still can't find anything about a ban on the sale of DE on their web site. Quite the opposite, there are a bunch of registered active DE product brands in their database for sale in CA, and DE is listed as a control for insects like cockroaches and Argentine Ants.
Maybe I just misunderstand you. Is it that in CA you may only sell DE for insect control to consumers if it is a registered brand that has all the usual bureaucratic labeling requirements? In other words, you can't buy a 50 pound sack of food grade DE, break in up into 1 lb. zip lock bags and sell that on the shelf to consumers in CA?
Old January 7, 2014   #21
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Water filter. Check the label.
Safer Brand. Big yellow bag clearly states kills insects in large print on front of bag along with large pictures of various insects.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2014   #22
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
I still can't find anything about a ban on the sale of DE on their web site. Quite the opposite, there are a bunch of registered active DE product brands in their database for sale in CA, and DE is listed as a control for insects like cockroaches and Argentine Ants....
There are products with DE as a the active ingredient registered for California sale in specific applications. Several of those products may only be used by persons holding some form of a pesticide applicators license. The products that do not require a license are not labeled for agricultural use. On these products it clearly states: It is unlawful to use this product in a manner that is inconsistent with its labeling -- which is actually a Federal Law, FIFRA sec. 12(a)(2)(G).

For agricultural use of DE in California with a pesticide applicators license, the application almost always requires that a county inspector be present.
Old January 7, 2014   #23
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Safer Brand. Big yellow bag clearly states kills insects in large print on front of bag along with large pictures of various insects.
Here is the Material Safety Data Sheet for the product: http://www.saferbrand.com/resource/MSDS/EN/51702.pdf

Here is the use it is licensed for in California: http://www.kellysolutions.com/ca/sho...=59913-1-42697

Linda, notice that your product label does not match the California restrictions regarding "Sites to which this Product may be Applied": http://www.kellysolutions.com/ca/sho...+INSECT+KILLER
Old January 7, 2014   #24
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Here is the Material Safety Data Sheet for the product: http://www.saferbrand.com/resource/MSDS/EN/51702.pdf

Here is the use it is licensed for in California: http://www.kellysolutions.com/ca/sho...=59913-1-42697

Linda, notice that your product label does not match the California restrictions regarding "Sites to which this Product may be Applied": http://www.kellysolutions.com/ca/sho...+INSECT+KILLER
Changing the goal posts and backtracking are we? You said
Quote:
The sale and use of DE for pest control in California is illegal
Now you just posted proof what you said was wrong. Both the sale and the use for pest control is legal, and you even posted a link to the pests for which a person could use it, inside or outside their home.

Now I certainly understand why a commercial grower might be banned from, lets say for instance, loading up a crop duster and dusting a field. Clearly that would be a hazard to the agricultural workers breathing all that dust, and explains why a county inspector might be required to be present.

But labeling for domestic use, and needing a county inspector for commercial use, is a far cry from "banned".

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2014   #25
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
... But labeling for domestic use, and needing a county inspector for commercial use, is a far cry from "banned".
You will not find it labeled in CA for domestic use in the garden.
Old January 7, 2014   #26
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I understand, and concede your point Richard. Its legal to apply this on dogs, cats, porches and sheds, just not dirt. But as Scott pointed out, that is not the same as being banned for pest control in CA. Clearly, DE is NOT banned for pest control in CA. To be sure, I need to herd those earwigs off the soil and onto the sidewalk before I nuke them with DE.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2014   #27
Hermitian
BANNED

And I apologize, I thought the context was gardening, not flea products for pets.

Perhaps some of you have the experience of driving somewhere in town and discovering a new traffic light in a place that you think is a poor location.
Very often one or more persons died at that location before the city was convinced that a traffic signal was needed. In the coming years and decades the businesses in the area might convince the city that the risk is low and to remove the light. But for now if you happen to find yourself at such a ★★★★★★★★, please take a moment to pay respect to the person(s) for whom the monument stands.
Old March 11, 2014   #28
sergeant69
Tomatovillian™

and maybe they were just crappy drivers! whats that got to do with DE?
wasn't cesar chavez that guy that convinced like 9 people to quit eating grapes for a week? again, whats that got to do w/DE?
sergeant69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2014   #29
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I've had the opposite experience with insects, although DE can kill soft bodied insects, it's been great for me at discouraging cucumber beetles and Japanese beetles from feeding on leaves.
I found DE to be very effective at killing little baby squash bugs. Not SVB but the bugs that look like stink bugs. It's all I use. I see one of those buggers and I dust the squash until its white.
The hard part is that the underside of the leaves also have to be dusted. I always dust around the bottom of the plant well,too.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diatomaceous earth