Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 24, 2016   #16
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default production going well for some of these

Here's a pic of the 100, destined for seed so no worries everyone.

La Ribera, yesterday I had a mishap with a 50 gallon tank and it crushed two huge trusses completely. I'll get 'em to produce some more

Growing them again in containers with water restriction to get the taste explosion.

Can't wait for these to sit for 3 months and then spread 'em on bread.

I'll be evaluating a few others, so reports forthcoming.

de colgar 100.jpg
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2016   #17
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

So now I'm to ask Ilex the question everybody here want to ask, but somehow get to be shy

Ilex, you are interested in a seed trade to Ribera and other De Colgar varieties with other Tville members?

I'm a SSE member as well as some other people here, but most of others are not. Do we need these extra boundaries at this tomato loving place?!

We all are very interested in your great varieties, Ilex

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2016   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
So now I'm to ask Ilex the question everybody here want to ask, but somehow get to be shy

Ilex, you are interested in a seed trade to Ribera and other De Colgar varieties with other Tville members?

I'm a SSE member as well as some other people here, but most of others are not. Do we need these extra boundaries at this tomato loving place?!

We all are very interested in your great varieties, Ilex
Andrey, I can't answer for Ilex but I can say that a lot of Ilex's varieties are being grown out this summer by my current seed producers and it looks like most will have seeds to send back so they can be offered here in the next seed offer sometime this Fall.

Which means that anyone here at Tville who is a registered member and participates in the Fall seed offer would have access to them.

I also sent quite a few of Ilex's varieties to Gerardo and he's doing seed production for me as well, and of course they will also be included in the seed offer here at Tville.

There are other SSE members who have also been getting seeds via the yearbook as well, and in the 2016 SSE Yearbook he's now added Ribera. There are many seed vendor owners who will then have access as well, but I had already sent some to certain seed vendors this past Spring. Said Carolyn without checking her data book.

I know that both Ilex and Baikal would be glad to have others grown not just de Colgar ones,but many of the other Spanish ones they have sought out.

Until two years ago,yes,I had grown a few Spanish ones,but now that I've become aware of the huge number of ones from Spain,Portugal as well, the diversity of varieties is amazing and I'm a convert,trust me on that.

Andrey,I know I was supposed to get back to you about ones you can use to trade,but it just hasn't happened,and yes,I said I could spare a few seeds of Ribera for you as you might remember,and yes,I did have a few left over after distributing to my seed producers, including Gerardo,which was the issue. And they germinated very well from the ones Ilex sent to me, not a trading event via SSE, but $3 USD for everyone everywhere for about 25 seeds is MORE than fair and that includes shipping.

Carolyn
Old August 25, 2016   #19
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I will trade with anybody, SSE member or not for something I need or under domestic SSE conditions.

I'm just too busy now so any possible trades will have to wait at least a month or two. I just can send short notes from cell phone.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2016   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilex View Post
Yes, I will trade with anybody, SSE member or not for something I need or under domestic SSE conditions.

I'm just too busy now so any possible trades will have to wait at least a month or two. I just can send short notes from cell phone.
I initially said

(Andrey, I can't answer for Ilex)

And now Ilex has spoken.

Thanks Ilex, and I'm assuming that eventually you will make a list of what you need, and I know I'll be looking for that need list to see what I might have to send you.

Carolyn, who saw your grow out list for this summer, many I don't know, so I'll be on your list for more seeds,not a trade, and by now I think you know what I like best.
Old October 22, 2016   #21
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

The Colgar Papuo’s that I grew were PL and were all orangish pink or pinkish/orange. The pink color was on the light side and almost a pinkish beige or pinkish peach. Please note the color in the photo below of the heart shaped Omar Lebanese circled, in a row eight feet behind. There are as many shades of pink as there are shades of gray. I find the shades of pink in tomatoes far more interesting.
Colgar Papuo_d.jpg
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2016   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
The Colgar Papuo’s that I grew were PL and were all orangish pink or pinkish/orange. The pink color was on the light side and almost a pinkish beige or pinkish peach. Please note the color in the photo below of the heart shaped Omar Lebanese circled, in a row eight feet behind. There are as many shades of pink as there are shades of gray. I find the shades of pink in tomatoes far more interesting.
Attachment 67004
Dutch
Dutch, I admit that I thought all the de Colgar varieties were red,not true at all,and had told Gerardo that who is also growing papuo and said the fruits were pink..I had to ask Ilex some questions, and also asked him what color Papuo should be and he said pink.

Carolyn