Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 29, 2012   #16
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Uncle Mark Bagby
Grandfather Ashlock
Paul Robeson
White Queen
Goliath
PA_Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012   #17
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrrho View Post
I'm eager to try Barlow Jap, Red Barn, Wes (my first heart variety!), and KY Cabin perhaps most of all -- it was a late addition to my grow list, and I've heard very little about it.
I am growing Kentucky Cabin this year also; can compare notes if you like. My seeds came from Maria at blueribbon tomatoes. Supposed to be a very productive large sweet fruity yellow.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012   #18
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

I have 73 plants in so far. About 70 varieties......only about 10 repeats from last year so I have about 60 I really want to try.

However, I am anxious for
Red Barn
Olive Hill
Mr Underwood
Peron Sprayless
Black Mountain Pink
Lincoln Adams
Vinson Watts
Amazon Chocolate
the most I guess!
Probably could list several more. These are just the ones off the top of my head.
Old May 29, 2012   #19
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Just go back to my grow list. Pretty much the same list for this one.

Right now, I looking forward to the ones that are within a couple of weeks of being ripe, Debarao Pink and Yellow Trifele. Just waiting.

I've also never tried an orange, white, or heart shaped tomato, so I'm really excited about KBX, White Rabbit, Blonde Boar, and Orange Russian 117.

The only green I've tried was a Green Zebra and it was in a mixed salad, so there are also Green Zebra and Aunt Ruby's German Green.

And then, of course, all of the reds, pinks, purples and the dwarfs, how could I forget them!...............so, yeah, basically my entire grow list.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012   #20
drezz
Tomatovillian™

This is my first season and I am growing: Rutger's, morgage lifter, Black Kirim (2), Black Sea Man (3), Roma (2), San Marazano (2), Sungold, Japanese black trifel, and one mystery mater. I lost the label for the mystery mater it could be: black sea man, san marzano, or red zebra.

I bought most of those but I did start the black sea man from seed. I also grew three "san marzano determinates" from seed. I saw those being sold on a seed place online and I decided to snag a pack.
drezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012   #21
zabby17
Tomatovillian™

Fish Lake Oxheart, because
- it's local
- I love the story of how it was released to Seed Savers by a local character, the Fish Lake Garlic Man
- those who've commented on it here have mostly been very positive

Whippersnapper, because
- it's supposed to grow very well in a container and produce lots of cherry toms quickly
- I have a lot of friends and relatives who want a tomato like that and wd like to be able to give them seedlings that suit their needs

"Yelow Roma Type", because
- I found these seeds in my stash in a folded sheet of paper with the above label, and I can't remember who sent them to me but it must have been a GardenWeb connection who reported that they did very well (I usually label much better, really!)
- I love making yellow tomato sauce

Tigrovy, because
-it was bonus free seed with my order from the Sample Seed Shop
-it sounds similar to Tiger Tom and Tigerella, both of which I'm also growing and have had lots of success with, so it will be fun to do a taste test
-I love how pretty stripey tomatoes are!

Portugal, because
- it sounds like another tasty, productive, hearty oxheart type, and I've come to love Olpalka for those qualities
- I bought it from the lovely little Canadian source, Providence Acres farm, and I like to support lovely little Canadian sources....

Z
zabby17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012   #22
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

Orange Oxheart
Cherokee Purple
Black Krim
Kellogg's Breakfast
Stump of the World
Sungold F1
Black Cherry
Carbon
Old May 29, 2012   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...h_Lake_Oxheart

(Fish Lake Oxheart, because
- it's local
- I love the story of how it was released to Seed Savers by a local character, the Fish Lake Garlic Man
- those who've commented on it here have mostly been very positive)

Zabby, Ted the garlic man didn't release it to SSE. It was Neil Gillard who got the seeds from Ted and then sent some to me, and perhaps to some others, I can't remember, and I was the first to list it in the SSE YEarbook, as you can see from the above link. I think Neil also SSE listed it for one year but I didn't check.

And I offered seeds for it in my last two seed offers here and I can't tell you how many seeds for this variety I sent out to participants, let's just say LOTS.

I love it, I love hearts in general, but I think this is one of the better ones I've grown.

Do you know which Portugal it is b'c there are several, one from Denise in Canada, with a longer name, another one from Canada and Joe's Portugal as well. And now the three Kukla Portugal ones of which I love the heart and the beef ones. The third is a paste and nothing wrong with that one either, but I have no need for paste varieties myself, and offered seeds for all three in my Jan seed offer here.

I want so much to have a good tomato year here b'c the last three have been miserable. And here's to everyone having a great season.
Old May 29, 2012   #24
Pyrrho
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygreg View Post
I am growing Kentucky Cabin this year also; can compare notes if you like. My seeds came from Maria at blueribbon tomatoes. Supposed to be a very productive large sweet fruity yellow.
I'd be interested in comparing notes too (I got mine from the same source). I think I've seen it appear on one or two other grow lists this season, so perhaps a thread is in order when the season winds down.

Good luck!
Pyrrho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012   #25
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Excited for-

Tante Ci
Norderas Busk
Kenosha Paste
Old May 29, 2012   #26
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by janezee View Post
Just the idea of this question makes me laugh! I'm trialing about 80 varieties this year, so hopefully I can get some to ripen, and, if it's not too much to ask, taste good, too.
Last year, Oregon Spring was a spitter for me, and I couldn't get Bloody Butcher or Chocolate Cherry or another variety I can't remember because I never got to taste it, to ripen a single fruit last year. The late blight hit the week my first Roma ripened. Thank goodness I cut lots of branches of the SunSugar and brought them inside to ripen over the fall before it ruined them. They were all I really got that I enjoyed last year. So, I'm most looking forward to the first non-spitter to ripen!

j
I'm with Jane and a few others on this one- so many new ones to trial and I'm looking forward to each one or I wouldn't be growing it. Many of the ones I looked forward to the most last season just made it a bigger disappointment when they didn't taste as good as I'd hoped.

Already seeing Early Blight, the Late Blight map showing several potential outbreak sites nearby and armyworms in record numbers makes me hope my season lasts long enough this year that I get to taste all the varieties I planted.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012   #27
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Hoy and The Queen of Hearts.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012   #28
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Cherries- Vince P-1 from Carolyn, Flortis cherry
Paste- Kenosha Paste, (Carolyn's seeds) Rinaldo
Brad Gates-all 9 new varieties (Beauty King and Queen, Black and Brown Boar, Large Barred Boar, Micheal Pollan, Pink Boar, Red Boar, Sweet Carneros Pink, Solar Flare and Trenton's Tiger
Pinks: Aunt Lou's Underground Railroad (loved the story), Brandywine from Croatia, Dr Lyle, Meme Beauce, Pervaya Lyobov (Carolyn's seed) and Vera's seed
Pink Heart- Tsar Kolokol
Black-Amazon Chocolate
Red Heart=Fishlake Oxheart, Gildo Petriboni, Rebecca Sebastians Bullbag
Bicolor=Northern Lights
Green when Ripe-Cherokee Green
Reds-Goose Creek, Giannini, Hazenfield Farms, Indiana Red, Red Barn
Yellow/Orange-Winsall Gold, Summertime Gold
Currant-Everglades Cherry

I've already been notified that I must reduce my tomato selections for next year, so I am going to enjoy tasting all the new to me varieties this summer.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012   #29
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone actually tasted Blush? I'm wondering what they taste like? I have a decent amount of fruit set on it. Looks like it will be one of my earliest. Very wispy leaved,, even more than my other wispies ( Striped Roman and Brad's Black Heart).
Spud purple is setting well, just like a CP, which somehow I'm not growing. Matt's, Sungold and Black Cherry are doing well. Can hardly wait!
Goose Creek is also setting decently.
At this point, with mites and poor fruit set ( despite the toothbrush) compared to last year, I'm ready to grow anything that will set tons of fruit, regardless of taste. I figure, if I cook it, it will still be better than store bought cooked. ( or dried)
Considering adding some hybrids to the fall mix. Any suggestions for really heavy producers?
We've had an incredibly hot, dry spring. Our low, low humidity is not good for plants. Lots of mites. White flies on the eggplants and peppers. My mother lost all her tomatoes to virus.
I usually don't spray for insects much but I'm beginning a regular spraying program. The beneficials are not doing their job. Poor artichoke was eaten up by aphids, despite tons of ladybugs.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012   #30
luke
Tomatovillian™

The one tomato I am looking forward to more than any other is:

The first one. My 7 year boy and I have an annual ritual of eating the first tomato sandwich of the year that ranks right up there with anything we do together.

But to answer the question more directly, I am looking forward to:

Berkely Tie Dye
Brown and Black Boar
Brandywine from Croatia
Aussie
Church
Magnum
Omar's Lebanese
Mexico
Tidwell German
German Head
German Strawberry