Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old February 7, 2011   #1
kath
Tomatovillian™

I've tried dozens of lettuces and my favorites because they're mild and sweet are Matina Sweet, Jericho, Winter Density and Chartwell. The first 3 can be found at Pinetree and the last at Thompson & Morgan.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2011   #2
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Ben Shemen and Jericho are supposed to excel despite heat.

Thanks kath, I'll research on those varieties today.
pinakbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2011   #3
jimtown
Tomatovillian™

Jericho is also available at Southern Exposure Seed Exchange and Johnny's.
jimtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2011   #4
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the comments, guys! I was wondering... Meirveille de quatre saisons is the same variety as marvel of four seasons, right?

Thanks!!

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2011   #5
salix
Tomatovillian™

Couple of our favourites are Plato, a large romaine and Drunken Woman, a red and green sort-of loose leaf type (I guess semi-heading is the correct description). We grow Merveille de Quatre Saisons, Freckles (Forellenschluss) and Winter Density every year also. I confess to buying way too many different types of lettuce seed. Those that don't get used after a year or two get mixed together and planted in "bouquets" for a mesclun type mix. They are attractive enough for the front of a flower bed!
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2011   #6
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Two of my new favorites I grew last year were Rouge Grenobloise (a.k.a. Rouge de Grenoble) and Red Deer Tongue. Both very productive, tasty and slow to bolt.
Merveille de Quatre Saisons I grow every year, fast to bolt when the weather heats up.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2011   #7
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Nevada is my favorite, followed by Jericho...Reuben is a nice red and holds well too.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2011   #8
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Taryn

yes it is.
Old February 10, 2011   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I live in a hot and humid area and try to grow lettuce from the first cool days of fall through the cool spring months. After that it is just too hot and they bolt too quickly or they just don't taste that good even the ones that can grow in the heat. Below are my favorites of the 50 or so I have tried so far.

Little Gem
Butter Crunch
Larissa
Rouge de Hiver
Florellenscluss
Santoro
Crystal
Red Grenoble
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2011   #10
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I grow Rouge de Hiver and Emerald oak, they are very sweet when it's cold. Emerald oak has voted #1 by the woodchucks too!
Old February 14, 2011   #11
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Anuenue is one of my favorites as well. Also plant Adriana, Pablo, Prizehead, and Yugoslavian Red.

All of these will eventually bolt when the weather turns hot, so I plant early and in a spot where I expect quick and robust growth. I haven't tried to plant lettuces as a fall crop; probably should.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2011   #12
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I've been eating lettuce for over a month now and this year Red Grenoble has out performed all the others. It has actually made some really big tight heads. Most of my Romains have had rather loose heads this year and not as large as last year. I have more coming on from later plantings and will see how they do; but it is getting really hot right now and many may try to bolt in this mid 70's weather we are having right now. Spinach has really taken off in the last week and is growing faster than I can keep it picked. I fear I will tire of salads soon. I've already gotten tired of many of my favorite dressings and have been searching recipe sites for some others to try.
Old March 5, 2011   #13
emzybo
Tomatovillian™

Those who have grown Jericho/Nevada lettuce... what are your experiences? How long into the season where you able to grow it before bolting? Thanks!
emzybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2011   #14
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

I planted Jericho one year and it bolted rather quickly. I was disappointed because the catalog description indicated it would hold up under extreme heat.

However, I only planted it one year, so maybe it would have grown better if I would have tried it again.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2011   #15
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzybo View Post
Those who have grown Jericho/Nevada lettuce... what are your experiences? How long into the season where you able to grow it before bolting? Thanks!
I have found very few varieties that won't bolt down here. Lettuce for me is a fall through mid spring crop that seldom does very well after March.