Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 31, 2018   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

To several of you who have posted.

Many of us posted at the original Garden Web,now Houzz, but that went downhill rapidly. Some here post at both places.Some posted at idig when it was very popular, I know I did,and some posted at Dave's Garden, but when they started asking for money to post,it was bye bye from me and others as well even though they gave lifetime free memberships to Jere Gettle,Tom Wagner and myself as well. Then there were all those Pro Board sites, too many to mention,most of them gone now. And others I could mention as well, but won't.

What I miss the most here can be summed up in just one word and that word is CIVILITY.

Little groups have formed here and some seem to,or do say, they know it all. No one knows it all.

Some have said they want to grow this or that for next year,tell me if you know any of them and what you think of them .I've done that but it turns out that the person asking for input already knows what they will do. So for those, I know I don't offer suggestions anymore.

I used to really enjoy coming to Tville each day I could,but as the registered population grew and grew, and bickering started between various groups and contentious threads galore started appearing that got nasty, I for one started posting less and less as did some others and some left Tville permanently.

Sometime soon but not right away, I have to consider my own options as to what my level of participation might be here, as others have done the same.

So "we "shall see what the future might bring.

Carolyn, who also notes that she has many long time friends here from not just the US but also Canada, Mexico, Scandinavia, Denmark, England,Wales,Ireland and many many countries in Europe and in the far East as well.Also the newest MD from the health clinic in town who was here on Thursday for a home call, who can tell me all about the Grenadines,including Barbados, just north of Venezuala in South America as well as Alaska.
Old March 31, 2018   #17
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

and never, ever plant when you have two feet of snow on the ground.

safe, if there is such a thing plant out date here is first week of june, but you better keep an eye on the weather. even then, plants usually sit there and sulk until july when it starts warming up more. june, the weather can still be on the cool side.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #18
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

I have learned the hard way that we always get at least one shower of hailstones in May in my area of Ireland! My poor baby tomatoes would always get battered! Now I grow all my tender plants indoors until the last week of May, and do a big planting session over a week or two.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #19
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Over the past many decades I have read many a book about gardening...tomatoes and otherwise. I have also been to seminars around the U.S. on various sub-topics regarding different aspects and approaches to soil, composting, and plant growth techniques.

Still, I love to hear the old wisdom whether in the Farmers Almanacs, state farm reviews, old Appalachian and other tales, various sects who are known for their old school knowledge, and used to be, just kicking around the hardware and farm supply store, and even native American knowledge of seasonal signs.

All of this is both interesting, and in my mind should only be areas for interesting and beneficial sharing.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #20
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith View Post
and never, ever plant when you have two feet of snow on the ground.

keith
Not so! A guy here, believe his name was 'cman', grew tomatoes once, inside a Wall-O-Water, within a deep snowbank. A blurry, postage stamp-sized pic of what may indeed have been a Wall-O-Water was the only evidence he believed he needed.
Old March 31, 2018   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soilsniffer View Post
Not so! A guy here, believe his name was 'cman', grew tomatoes once, inside a Wall-O-Water, within a deep snowbank. A blurry, postage stamp-sized pic of what may indeed have been a Wall-O-Water was the only evidence he believed he needed.
I remember that too.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018   #22
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Default Keep it simple on when to plant

No magic date; 1-Be at least 3/4 weeks after last frost date.
2-Watch local weather and wait until nighttime lows stay above 50 dgs.
No voodoo.Eliminates guessing games.
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018   #23
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Edited

Last edited by AlittleSalt; April 1, 2018 at 09:43 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018   #24
imp
Tomatovillian™

Salt, I don't speak for Carolyn, LOL, but I don't think she meant you. You haven't ever pompously pontificated, presented yourself as an expert in many multiple fields nor threatened anyone that I am aware of.

For myself, I don't like that you have to struggle, but I do like reading what you have to say and about your family, too.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018   #25
James_57
Tomatovillian™

I'm starting my seeds today, and use June 1st for plant out but go by soil and night temperatures.
James_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

My parents and many others went by the moon to plant stuff.
I thought it was hogwash then and I do now but that is my opinion and I have a right to it.
This does not mean I think other people are wrong for doing what they like to do.
Their choice free country.
Also if I waited till the night time lows were out of the 40's and 50's I wouldn't have much of anything from the garden.
If is just too random this time of year here.
What is important is the soil temperature that doesn't fluctuate like that from day to day.
Many seed packets say plant as soon as the ground can be broken.
The ground never freezes here.
Sometimes in gardening you have to break the rules to see if they can be broken and get something from it.
That is what I do because I dont depend on a garden to eat.
This allows me to step outside the old boundaries and discover new ways of doing things.

The Old Folks said it was bad air ,witches and the devil that caused stuff and there wasn't anything you could do about it but burn the witch and close the windows.
Now we or at least most of us know better.

HC SVNT DRACONES
Old April 1, 2018   #27
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

The old folklore of gardening from around the world; whether gardening by the moon cycles, the activities of animals, insects, and nature, and folk wisdom from a myriad of sources (phenology) can be fascinating and saved many of the early settlers as they lived their lives in connection with nature.

https://nonfictioness.com/2017/04/21...ning-folklore/
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018   #28
encore
Tomatovillian™

i'm waiting least one more week to start my tomato seeds, learned my lesson the last few years, with huge plants still in 4 inch pots, hauling them in and out of the house. lol, not this year!!! pepper plants have been growing in basement for a couple of weeks now, they are a couple of inches high right now, but still chilly in basement so they are pretty slow, told the wife to hide the seeds and no matter what, do not give them back til next week! lol----tom
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018   #29
Rootwad
Tomatovillian™

We set out derby day weekend here.
Rootwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018   #30
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore View Post
i'm waiting least one more week to start my tomato seeds, learned my lesson the last few years, with huge plants still in 4 inch pots, hauling them in and out of the house. lol, not this year!!! pepper plants have been growing in basement for a couple of weeks now, they are a couple of inches high right now, but still chilly in basement so they are pretty slow, told the wife to hide the seeds and no matter what, do not give them back til next week! lol----tom
I have seen folks from way up north come to this part of Texas bringing their growing habits with them.
Then complain you cant grow tomatoes in Texas when they put out starters in late May or June.

The dentists wife and I are the only ones around on the street that put out plants early.