Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 30, 2006   #16
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Sliced NAR shot for PV--

Looks like mine were a bit seedier than yours. I thought it was a great tomato as well.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2006   #17
travis
Tomatovillian™

"Why would the French know about it
when I got the seeds the way I did here in the US
and named it with input from 22 folks at GW
who all got seeds of it from me?" [Carolyn]

Just goes to show ya what a small world we live in
and how information travels at the speed of light
via the Internet
'specially when it's such a fabulous tomato :wink:

Suze,

Thanks for the slice shot ... it confirms what I was lookin' for
more than you know.
I think the expanded size and seediness of your NAR
is due to the Lone Star heat.
I saw the same thing in the Ramapo F4 grow-outs this summer here ...
the ones that got full all-day sun and higher heat
had expanded locule sizes, thinner outside walls,
and were seedier than the ones I grew at home
up against the wall of the house in 6 - 8 hours sun
and with more attention and regular watering.

The center of the NARs look about the same to me
and the distribution of the locules,
considering the slightly different shapes and sizes.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2006   #18
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Vic
Suze,

Thanks for the slice shot ... it confirms what I was lookin' for more than you know. I think the expanded size and seediness of your NAR is due to the Lone Star heat. I saw the same thing in the Ramapo F4 grow-outs this summer here ... the ones that got full all-day sun and higher heat had expanded locule sizes, thinner outside walls, and were seedier than the ones I grew at home up against the wall of the house in 6 - 8 hours sun and with more attention and regular watering.
You're welcome and interesting you should mention that in regards to the heat. Now that I think about it, I did take more pics earlier in the season of NAR, but neglected to save them. They were uploaded to PlantFiles, though. If you look at the earlier pics, my NARs looked more like your NARs. This was all from one plant.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/123490/index.html
Old August 31, 2006   #19
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

lol ~ NAR worldwide ~ doesn't take long ...

I WISH I had my slicer pics -
(of all times, when needed for comparison)

The digi cam took the photos, but I was unable
to locate them after I ate them and gave some away !!!
Now it looks like I'll have to wait until the end of September to get more -

This "Fall-like" weather sure gives the maters
time to "refresh" and send up loads of flowers ...
If all mature in time - shoudl be a great second half ~

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2006   #20
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Like Papa Vic- I struggled to get my first flowers to set on NAR what few flowers there were- when Papa vic said he had actualy spotted his first tomato begining to form- I paniced a bit and went outside with an artists camel hair brush and hand polinated them.

But I need not have worried , as later on in the season when it got a bit cooler the NAR suddenly took off like a rocket and produced lots of tomatoes -some of them huge, much bigger than I expected, so I am quite pleased with them now- but was a little sceptical earlier on this year when I had three foot of stem of a very healthy looking plant but no tomatoes- it seems that NAR doesn't like it too hot and prefers it around 62 to 67 degrees F,

The plants are now growing away like mad and producing more tomatoes.

Isnt it funny- for most of us- tomato plants always produce their best almost at the end of the season- I only wish I had another couple of months growing time left for them to realy get into their stride, as all the best size trusses of flowers are nearly all produced after the fifth truss has formed- and every year when the frost comes in october I have to chop down perfectly good tomato plants with hundreds of flowers still on them going to waste- its such a shame.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2006   #21
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Michael, I guess my NAR plant took a while to set much of its fruit as well. It definitely ended up being a late season one for me now that I think about it.

Suze
Old September 3, 2006   #22
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

I picked my first Neves Azorean Red today, from seed sown on April 19th. The fruit is HUGE, maybe 1.5 lbs (too big to be weighed on the postal scale and barely big enough to register on the bathroom scale). It looks like Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red (i.e. "boat-shaped") but is bigger.

GTG
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2006   #23
supergirl
Tomatovillian™

Just back after a few weeks away, so I'm sure I'm missiing this in a back thread somewhere. How long does it take to get ripe fruit on Neves??? I planted it out at the same time as everything else - first week of May - have had a nice stocky plant for ages. For a long time it was slow to blossom. Carbon was too, but then started to fruit. Have been picking Carbon for ages, at least a month. It's now September in zone 9, and I have some Neves greenies, but have yet to get one single ripe fruit. It's probably at about 125 days after planting out, and it's the only plant I haven't had ripe fruit yet. Is this a little odd, or should I have planted way, way earlier? I also have a plant started from a cutting -- it's only got itty-bitty fruits, but I figured that one is behind.
supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2006   #24
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Dont worry supergirl, you are not on your own with this problem- lots and lots of people have all had exactly the same problems as you.

My own NER's are only just starting to ripen with huge fruit on them right at the top, about four or five inches accross and must be from 1lb to 1 .1/2 lb each at least-maybe more!.

They seem to be very slow at producing the first flowers and setting them, and they also seem to be a very late season variety.

you could try sowing them 3 or 4 weeks earlier than usual, but I think a better plan would be to grow them as normal and then when they reach the first flowering stage ( eventualy ) put a rooting pot around the stem about nine inches from the first flowers and root the stem there- afterwards cut off the rooted top part and carry on as usual after you haver planted it, that way you will have tomatoes all the way up the stem- Probably ripening well into christmas as a finale.

Having said all that- I have often seen it said on here and other places that NER performed like a normal tomato for them, and flowered and produced fruit from the start- just like all the rest.

There might well be two or more strains of NER out there- one that produces normaly and one like the majority of us seem to have got this season which appears to be very late season- I wish I could obtain the normal one- it would save a heck of a lot of time waiting for them to produce.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2006   #25
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

NAR is turning out to be my biggest,
strongest, healthiest, blossom setting plant
of the later part of the season !!!
Where others are show lack of vigor ?
This plant stands out as deep healthy green, open blossoms, and lots of fruit sizes ...

I'm impressed ~

Tom
Old September 12, 2006   #26
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

[img][img][/img]
This NAR I picked today and promptly devoured it after I took this picture. And I didn't share. Ate the whole thing while watching CNN. Best tasting red I have grown this year. Ami
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2006   #27
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

yup , thats the one ~
Great right ???

~ Tom