Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 26, 2012   #16
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

great, thank you. I have an order I'm going to put together for some seeds from Remy, so I'll just add that to my list!
Old July 26, 2012   #17
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

it didnt turn into that super round globe shape like boxwood did for me but the taste is divine and the plants got pretty big and were kinda round

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2012   #18
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

If you VERY quickly blanch your basil (2 seconds or so and then directly into ice water), your resulting pesto will stay bright green! It won't turn brown and oxidize and the taste is not affected. It really works. I got this tip from a chef at one of the big hotels on the Central Coast in California.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2012   #19
beatpoet
Tomatovillian™

I love pesto, I grew some thai basil this year as well as the regular kind, so I'm thinking about making a pesto with that since I've got so much extra. I'll have to do a test batch and tweak the normal recipe a little
Old July 26, 2012   #20
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

To make Pesto, do you have to pick the basil before it seeds to have a good flavor?

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2012   #21
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB View Post
If you VERY quickly blanch your basil (2 seconds or so and then directly into ice water), your resulting pesto will stay bright green! It won't turn brown and oxidize and the taste is not affected. It really works. I got this tip from a chef at one of the big hotels on the Central Coast in California.

i will give it a try. this technique works well with all sorts of other foods so it should work with basil. i usually put finished pesto into fridge to harden up a bit then coat with a little extra olive oil. the fat acts as a barrier and the basil turns brown a lot slower

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2012   #22
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I went to an heirloom tomato tasting and cooking demonstration quite a few years ago. The chef had a boiling pot of water, a bowl of ice water, and a blender all in a row. He took a bunch of basil and just went down the row dunking into each bowl and then into the blender. I guess restaurants need vast quantities of pesto and they want it to stay green!
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote