Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 26, 2014   #16
lavanta
Tomatovillian™

BT every three weeks and no issues with them. My tri weekly rotation: BT, daconil, kelp spray.
lavanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2014   #17
ejones1961
Tomatovillian™

What is BT?
ejones1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2014   #18
lavanta
Tomatovillian™

Thuricide (bacillus thuringiensis). Make sure not to spray on milk weed as it also impacts monarch butterflies.
lavanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2014   #19
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

bacillus thuringiensis is a totally organic (OMRI) bacteria that gives caterpillars, worms, etc. chronic indigestion, but is otherwise completely safe for humans and animals. It is sold as BT Worm Killer (liquid), Thuricide (liquid), Dipel Dust (powder), etc.

My issue with waiting for parasitic wasps is, a hornworm can strip down a tomato plant in 1 day. I guess if you have a huge garden and have extra plants you can live without, this is an OK approach.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2014   #20
ejones1961
Tomatovillian™

Thank you
ejones1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2014   #21
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Interestingly I did manage to find a hornworm yesterday. But what a mess it was. All covered with some scaly disease and barely alive. I killed it anyway, but seems some unknown natural fungus or bacteria got it. So far I still haven't needed to bring out the Bt this year in my original project test plot, and only once in my new 1 acre test plot started this year. It surprises even me, and I predicted something like this would eventually happen! Only year two in my project and already the artificial "ecosystem" I made is showing measurable and visible signs of natural pest control completely without inputs by me. I haven't thrown away the Bt yet though! It's my back-up "just in case".

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; August 28, 2014 at 11:39 AM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2014   #22
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Well, After this last week there isn't a thing left for the worms in my moms garden. My son went on Wed and by Saturday there wasn't a leaf left on most of the tomatoes. It looks like the whole garden was hit with bacterial spot. SAD!