Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old January 17, 2016   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Medusa
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #17
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Wow - the worm recipe. Speechless at the brave guys who ate their portion. I am all for eating local, but eating worms from my tomato plants is a hit.. too close to home.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
Sorry to disagree, Carolyn, but I watched the plant blossom and even collected pollen from it. It had several other normal blossoms. This one was one of the largest and most oddly shaped fused blossoms I have ever seen. Instead of a big roundish cluster like I usually see, these were all fused in a row - side to side. I've never seen one like it. I couldn't see any separation between or tell for sure how many blossoms there were. The cluster of blossoms was over an inch long and kind of U-shaped with the bases of the blossoms attached and forming the inside of the U and the ends of the flowers kind of arching around forming the outside of the U - like the fruit in the picture does. I have no doubt that it was a fused blossom.

I put it in a one-gallon pot to see what it ends up like. I am not going to let any other blossoms set. It probably will not ripen evenly. It would be interesting if it ripened in the center with the ends green...... Hopefully, we'll see.
If I'm wrong I'm wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.

But in the picture link did see same.

But you helped out when you said all fused in a row, then that made sense to me which it didn't before you noted that.

Carolyn
Old January 17, 2016   #19
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
If I'm wrong I'm wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.

But in the picture link did see same.

But you helped out when you said all fused in a row, then that made sense to me which it didn't before you noted that.

Carolyn
Thanks for the link showing catfacing. It looks to me like quite a few of the tomatoes in that link, while they may show catfacing, are primarily malformed as a result of being from fused blossoms.

They are both fused and catfaced.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #20
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Worm tacos taste good. Maybe not horned tomato ones,; the maguey worm is tasty fried and salted. Protein is protein, and this is pretty far from soylent green.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #21
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Worm tacos taste good. Maybe not horned tomato ones,; the maguey worm is tasty fried and salted. Protein is protein, and this is pretty far from soylent green.
"Protein is protein..." - That may be the case once something is inside the body, but it is a completely different matter inside the head before it is eaten......
Old January 17, 2016   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Is a maguey worm the same as what I know as a Mango worm?

And I ask b/c I often watch Vet Ranch vids from TX and as I skip around I got caught in a list of both dogs and cats infected with Mango worms and had never heard of them before. They had to spend hours pinching and kneading all parts of those animals to see the worms being expressed, yes,I watched as well and mainly found in tropical areas.

Yes, free protein, but methinks I'd rather chew on leather given the choice.

Carolyn, who, when she was in Denver was given a box of chocolates, bit into one and there was the compound eye of a dead grasshopper.
Old January 17, 2016   #23
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Agreed, not all protein is created equal.

In a pinch,? Pinch nose, close eyes, in it goes.
Old January 17, 2016   #24
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Is a maguey worm the same as what I know as a Mango worm?

And I ask b/c I often watch Vet Ranch vids from TX and as I skip around I got caught in a list of both dogs and cats infected with Mango worms and had never heard of them before. They had to spend hours pinching and kneading all parts of those animals to see the worms being expressed, yes,I watched as well and mainly found in tropical areas.

Yes, free protein, but methinks I'd rather chew on leather given the choice.

Carolyn, who, when she was in Denver was given a box of chocolates, bit into one and there was the compound eye of a dead grasshopper.
It's one of those typical Oaxacan dishes. I was a tad skittish initially, especially with the crickets. And yes it is weird to feel something stuck in your teeth, get it, look at it and see claws on the tiny legs. Nevertheless, with the right condiments and presentation they're just great tasting crunchy little morsels. Think of it as a land cousin of dried shrimp.

I'm not saying go all out like the bald guy on the food network. Just saying crickets and worms, when cooked appropriately, make a great stuffing for tacos in southern Mexico. Also, they are an integral part of the diet of peoples around the world, ick factor notwithstanding.

I do understand the ick factor quite well, as I'd rather eat insects than some specialty cheeses (they taste rotten to me). If you want to torture me, force feeding of a really strong brie will do.

Relatively strange fungi are not my cup of tea either, especially huitlacoche. To me they taste like I've licked a lichen covered rock.

Maguey worm likes plants. The mango seems to be one of those anyone breathing CO2 will do kind of worms.

Last edited by Gerardo; January 18, 2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old January 17, 2016   #25
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's one of those typical Oaxacan dishes. I was a tad skittish initially, especially with the crickets. And yes it is weird to feel something stuck in you teeth, get it, look at it and see claws on the tiny legs. Nevertheless, with the right condiments and presentation they're just great tasting crunchy little morsels. Think of it as a land cousin of dried shrimp.

I'm not saying go all out like the bald guy on the food network. Just saying crickets and worms, when cooked appropriately, make a great stuffing for tacos in southern Mexico. Also, they are an integral part of the diet of peoples around the world, ick factor notwithstanding.

I do understand the ick factor quite well, as I'd rather eat insects than some specialty cheeses (they taste rotten to me). If you want to torture me, force to eat a really strong brie.

Relatively strange fungi are not my cup of tea either, especially huitlacoche. To me they taste like I've licked a lichen covered rock.

Maguey worm likes plants. THe mango seems to be one of those anyone breathing CO2 will do kind of worms.
So Maguey worms and Mango Worms are not the same, and that's good to know if I moved to a tropical area and had cats or dogs,or both.

Aha, and now we know a few of the food items you don't like.

Send me your Brie,I love it, and same for Camembert since you probably don't like that either/

I've not tried corn smut that you mentioned above but others say it is absolutely delicious.

And how many times have you licked a lichen (love the alliteration) covered rock?

Carolyn
Old January 17, 2016   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Now I have to go out and lick a rock to see what huitlacoche (corn smut) tastes like.

Worth
Old January 18, 2016   #27
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Oh, I'll stick to Brie... and Blue Cheese too! Doesn't matter if worms are organic and fair trade

I have a hard time even eating snails - a delicacy in some European cuisines. Shrimps, mussels, anything that is crawling... eeeeeek.
A lamb stew is always a reliable choice, and I would not mind eating the eyes / brains / whatever parts of the animal are eaten in some cultures. Given it is a healthy one, I'll eat it all...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Oh, I'll stick to Brie... and Blue Cheese too! Doesn't matter if worms are organic and fair trade

I have a hard time even eating snails - a delicacy in some European cuisines. Shrimps, mussels, anything that is crawling... eeeeeek.
A lamb stew is always a reliable choice, and I would not mind eating the eyes / brains / whatever parts of the animal are eaten in some cultures. Given it is a healthy one, I'll eat it all...
There is something about testicles, brains and eyes I cannot wrap my mind around.
I have had the first two several times because it was eat or starve on the farm but not the latter nor will ever if I can help it.

One time a bunch of guys were having a june bug eating contest and swallowing them whole.
Just to best everyone I put a live one between my front teeth and slowly squeezed until it popped and then I chewed it up and swallowed it with whiskey.
One time a buddy of mine was in a meeting with more people some of them new and didn't know him.
We had the windows open in the conference room and one of the new guys was sitting next to George.
A katydid landed on the table and George stared at it a minute then tilted his head sideways and looked closer.
Acting in all manner like a bird or cat.
Then he snatched the thing up and ate it.
I thought the new guy was going to fall out of his chair.

Worth
Old January 18, 2016   #29
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Grow it out and see! Should be interesting!!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #30
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post
Grow it out and see! Should be interesting!!

Greg
Growing it out in a one gallon pot.