Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 2, 2013   #16
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Sheesh Worms, I was just gonna complain how tired I was of 109.8 yesterday and looking at the same today. Guess I'll shut up (for a change). We are baking, you are drowning.
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #17
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Good grief! This is too cruel. Half the country is drowning and the other half is baking.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #18
emcd124
Tomatovillian™

You hadnt heard? the midwest is being reclassified a tropical rain forest.

But seriously, other than laying down a thick layer of mulch and preventing leaves from touching the soil, is there anything else I can do preventatively to try to keep this wet rainy weather from encouraging disease spread? the leaves are constantly soaking wet all night long from the rain.
emcd124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #19
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

I've been going out and spraying with b54red's diluted bleach spray every other day, even after it's been raining, even when everything is soaking wet. It's significantly slowed the spread of fungal diseases - I'm picking off a couple of leaves every day, but not like the wholesale branch chopping I was doing before I started applying it.

A lot of the bleach ends up dripping off or getting washed away, but even a little bit of help is better than no help, I think.

Kathy
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #20
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDC View Post
I've been going out and spraying with b54red's diluted bleach spray every other day, even after it's been raining, even when everything is soaking wet. It's significantly slowed the spread of fungal diseases - I'm picking off a couple of leaves every day, but not like the wholesale branch chopping I was doing before I started applying it.

A lot of the bleach ends up dripping off or getting washed away, but even a little bit of help is better than no help, I think.

Kathy
It is about the only thing I have ever found that helps at all in this kind of weather. I keep applying fungicides only to see them washed away in a few hours so I end up going back to the bleach spray. It is not nearly as effective as when the weather is drier but it does help if applied regularly every few days between rains.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #21
emcd124
Tomatovillian™

what is the dilute ratio you use?
emcd124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #22
Rideau Rambler
Tomatovillian™

It is July 2nd and I have still not watered my garden yet this season. Not even once. Tomato plants have small tomatoes, peppers are coming, beans, peas, beets, carrots, cukes, you name it, it's all up and growing strong. Raining today and forecast for the next five days as well. Is it really summer? So different than the two hours a day I spent watering my garden this time last year!
Rideau Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #23
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcd124 View Post
what is the dilute ratio you use?
It depends on how much water you're mixing with. I have been using ~1oz of the new Clorox (stronger than the old Clorox) for a 28oz spray bottle.

There are calculations in this thread for larger quantities http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=28509

Kathy

Last edited by KathyDC; July 2, 2013 at 08:06 PM.
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #24
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Worms? View Post
On and off rain (heavy) for the past 4 days. Heavy thunder storms with flooding yesterday. Flooded more last night. Heavy thunder storms today with flash flooding immanent. Thunder storms predicted for the next 7 days. Did I mention that I live on a flood plain? ...but hey, I'm okay, I have a snorkel!
Anyone with excess sunshine ...I am willing to trade some rainy days for just one sunshiny day with a blue sky and maybe a little puffy white cloud.
It has rained here pretty much every.single.day since the snow melted. My children are pale, my dog smells like rot, my shoes are messed up and my plants do not grow. Oh and I just had to give another $1200 to the dudes that take trees off of houses. Again.

I'm ready to divert this nonsense elsewhere.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #25
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

The Lehigh Valley of eastern PA where I reside is right next door to central NJ and our entire area has had heavy amounts of rain for over a month now.

This past June we had a little over seven inches of rain.
As we were at the Kutztown Folk Festival in Kutztown, Pa today it rained then the sun came out, the entire 3 hours we were there I was swimming in the air due to the extreme humidity that was better suited for a Costa Rican rain forest.
Old July 2, 2013   #26
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

They have published a list of closed roads around here. Mud puddles have become a mud puddle. I live in a swamp and the ground cannot absorb any more water period. A heavy 10 min rain raises the level of the water next to the road a half mile away and increases the flooding. I suspect the beavers have even drowned. The worse part is the mosquitos. I'm living in a little camper and I bet killed 100 of then 2 nights ago.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2013   #27
Kazfam
Tomatovillian™

80% chance today, tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night.

Add to that 90% humidity...sigh, but at least the winters are nice.

And the weeds are growing very well.
Old July 3, 2013   #28
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

I use chlorothalonil (Daconil) for fungal control, but it, like most all treatments must be reapplied after every rain, but if it doesn't stop raining...you can't apply it at all.

Emcd124, let me know when you have bananas for sale. I'm thinking about rolling my pants up to my knees and planting rice, myself.

BH99, I think we're in the same boat...and I mean that literally...except for small differences like, my kids are out and on there own; I don't have a dog, but my neighbor has one and it smells like a different three letter word; and my shoes now smell like my neighbor's dog.
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2013   #29
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Several of my tomatoes are starting to really yellow and some are starting to wilt. I am going to break out the bleach, but may be too late at this point.

Honestly, after seeing all of the recent devastation due to tornadoes and wildfires, I'm not going to try not to complain too much about my sick tomatoes or broken tree. (Which, thankfully, missed the house.)

I do, however, feel for those of you who are baking and flooding right now! Here's hoping that the weather patterns will even out soon!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013   #30
b54red
Tomatovillian™

The light daily showers are nothing compared to the flooding we have been getting the last couple of days. I know we have gotten close to seven inches but can't be sure because my gauge which goes to 6 inches overflowed and I don't know how long that went on. My tomatoes are bursting like 4th of July fireworks. Peppers are losing limbs just from the weight of the water falling on them constantly. Rain chances are supposed to drop to only 70% tomorrow and by Tuesday be down to 20% which should mean a break for at least a few days. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote