Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 6, 2015   #16
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I'm a master gardener.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2015   #17
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Socal GG, if you don't hear back from the master gardeners (I imagine they're pretty busy right now preparing for their big Spring Seminar on the 21st), you can do what Starlight suggests and go to the county extension office with some sample leaves. Their office is in the SD Division of of Agriculture and Weights in Kearney Mesa off Ruffin Road. You fill out a form at the front desk and give them your sample in a plastic bag. It's free. I don't know how long it takes for them to get back to you, though.

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2015   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I see this stuff in the woods on weeds all of the time, as far as I am concerned it is rust.

Does this look familiar?

Rust on hollyhock.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2015   #19
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

I believe KarenO and Worth are right. Looks exactly like what I've got. I will take a clipping up to the office ., but I don't want to wait anymore. Been 2 days. How the heck do I rid my yard of it??? I do have some rose bushes next to the weed problem. Could that be where it came from?? They are covered by the tall weeds. I haven't had a chance to get back to that part and look.
socalgardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2015   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'm not a master gardener but in my opinion the first thing would be to gather up all infected material and burn it.
Do not compost it as it will cause it to spread in unwanted places.
To check on my opinion I looked and here is the link it says the same thing to.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.eXY&cad=rja

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2015   #21
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Now, I have go look at our Juniper trees. I've seen something that looks a lot like that on Elm leaves, but the Wiki page doesn't say anything about Elms. They are definitely not stunted at over 50' tall.

I agree with burning the plants if possible. Sometimes, that's the best thing to do.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2015   #22
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

We aren't allowed to burn stuff here. My neighbor is a fire captain. I asked him already. I can only rip out and bag it real good. I read somewhere for organic solution trying 8 aspirin per gallon of water. Only at first sign of rust. I don't like to use chemicals if I don't have to.
Old March 7, 2015   #23
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Worth... That is definitely rust. You can tell and your pic looks like it has the orange color of rust.

SoCalGG... Take a baggy. Put a leaf it it and seal it tight. Than gently take your finger nail or a butter knife, something with a blunt edge and press down on the bumps on your leaf and than if you can take a pic.

That way we can see if you have an insect or rust.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2015   #24
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Rust is a bear to get rid of. Next door neighbor grew a crop of corn about 20 feet from all my hollyhocks and his corn was so infested with rust you would have thought the leaves were all orange colored normally. I spent 4 years getting rid of rust off my hollyhocks and a few other plants from his infecting all of us.

Best thing I have found, if it is rust, is to if you can, get a bunch of cheap baggy one gallon size or cheap kitchen trash bags from dollar store. Cover the plant and cut it all the way back down and than treat what you have left and burn the bagged leaves and stems.

Than treat with buttermilk. I use 1/4 cup to 2 gallons of water and spray the heck out of the plants and drench the soil. The process usually needs to be repeated several times as you rust spores though you can't see them will still be present. I have yet to see anybody take out rust in one or two shots.
Old March 7, 2015   #25
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Since it's on weeds and not ornamentals, remove everything affected that you can and bag it up. Use a sulphur or copper fungicide following. It's worse in moisture so try to keep foliage dry by not wetting it when watering. Watch your good plants and remove affected foliage right away and treat the plant early so it doesn't get out of hand. You may not eradicate it but you should be able to control it.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2015   #26
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Rust!

I've been wondering what that is on my weeds. It shows up (heavily) every year but never spread to my veggies.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #27
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

What a mess! I learned my lesson. I double bagged it all. Bleached the heck out of everything. It's starting to warm up in a few days. I think I might cover with thick plastic and see if it help any. It rained alot last month. Guess that fed the fire.
Old March 11, 2015   #28
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

was not aware of this resource, will definitely use it. Thanks for the info!!!
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #29
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Master Gardeners finally got back to me today. They say its Scale. But I did what Starlight said...put in baggie , smash down on bumps with my nail and see what happens. I didn't see any guts and nothing moves. I do believe its rust because it looks exactly like all the other pics I've looked at. I can't get a clear shot of it in the baggie. I'll try again and post.
Old March 11, 2015   #30
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I'm anxious to see what Karen says. Because I have never seen scale eggs like that.
You'll know for sure if it is rust, because like Karen said you can control it, but your not going to get rid of it in one shot, so it will be back, just not as bad. Won't take long either after a rain usually.

When you squish down is the color all the same as the outside? What do you see? You won't see anything move til if it is an egg and it hatches to it's first instar.

Mojave.. There are many different types of rust. Some affect only certain types of plants. Usually rust is prevalent around here when there is a lot of moisture and high humidity.