Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 12, 2015   #16
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Nothing like that will ever make it into my garden. Interesting though.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."

Last edited by heirloomtomaguy; February 12, 2015 at 06:04 PM.
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #17
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

You can buy commercially produced granules from a company called soil moist. I use them all the time especially for potted plants and hanging baskets. They really make a difference in the health of the plant I just ordered 8 pounds from amazon tonight.. I have no children in diapers any more, but I did use the ones I had from the last child I babysat. They worked fine, but tearing the liner out got old really fast. Using the whole diaper just didn't work. I couldn't view the page so I am not sure just what the process was they were advocating.
Old February 12, 2015   #18
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Recent similar discussion on Wonder Soil
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34148
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2015   #19
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
You can buy commercially produced granules from a company called soil moist. I use them all the time especially for potted plants and hanging baskets. They really make a difference in the health of the plant I just ordered 8 pounds from amazon tonight.. I have no children in diapers any more, but I did use the ones I had from the last child I babysat. They worked fine, but tearing the liner out got old really fast. Using the whole diaper just didn't work. I couldn't view the page so I am not sure just what the process was they were advocating.
How much do you put in your pots? Any trouble if they get rained on heavily with drainage?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2015   #20
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
How much do you put in your pots? Any trouble if they get rained on heavily with drainage?
It depends on the size of the pot. There is a chart on the bag if you buy the soil moist brand, if I remember a 10"hanging basket took 1 tablespoon of granules mixed in and then watered in. I used them in large containers for tomatoes, too and then I sold them. I didn't keep most of them but I don't think I can give you any "rain" information since I do most of that growing in a greenhouse for the Summer. When I watered the only problem I had was if I tried to add them into the pot after something was potted up. They swell and fall out of the pot if they are close to the surface. They need to be down in the bottom 1/2 of the soil, I think for best use of them. I don't think they can form a plug if that is what you are worried about. The other addition to the media mix is osmocote if you aren't organic or worried about a little synthetic fertilizer. It adds an extra measure of feeding without over doing it. I use it in all my greenhouse mix. I buy it in a 50 pound bag for the Spring for all my bedding plants, potted and hanging plants. Most people won't need that much since it isn't a "cup" per plant measure, but I grow a 24x48 and a 16x32 greenhouse and sell everything. both amendments are great for not needing to watch the potted plants quite so closely.

By the way the granules in soil moist are much bigger in size when they expand than the diaper sized granules. Just for anybodies information.

Last edited by clkeiper; February 15, 2015 at 08:26 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2015   #21
billfosburgh
Tomatovillian™

we have a cemetary by my house and i go to their trash pile and get a lot of florist foam. i use it in all my containers
billfosburgh is offline   Reply With Quote