Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 13, 2010   #16
instar8
Tomatovillian™

Aww... i do so love baby pictures....
instar8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2010   #17
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Well seeds are sown and will wait patiently for sprouts. Will be using Messenger in hopes of a reduction of Powdery Mildew along with aspirin plus spray of Potassium bicarbonate.

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2010   #18
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
"There is no logical response to the question, "Why won't you let me plant more tomatoes?"

The answer is, don't ask, just do it!
Oh yeah, the trend called "Just few more..."

And somehow, with this post, and looking at your pictures - spring just feels so much closer!!!

These are germination test material for "Air Pruining Tray" - seeded on Jan 2, 2009, first ones were poking out just 4 days later. Today:

Curious to see in few days what the roots look like with this "bottomless" cavity method.

May even try to overwinter 1 or 2 at home (in hopes for the early spring) - but that is pushing it!

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2010   #19
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by instar8 View Post
Awww...i do so love baby pictures....
good one!

You all with photos are making me jealous! It won't be until late March for me to see seedlings.

Ray, I'll send you some hot dogs for the tomatoes. So with the Molson, you'll be all set for a cookout.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2010   #20
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hey Remy,

I am ready!!!

What I wouldn't do for a Zweigles (or Hydes) White Hotdog right now. Just typed in "Zweigles" and there indeed is a Company that will ship you by FedEx, a 3 pound bag of them for $46.00. At $15.00+ per pound that seems outrageous - - but I am tempted.......

https://www.nystyledeli.com/cgi-bin/deli/3-lbs.html

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2010   #21
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I don't have time to take pic's now, but I have about 20 wee one's coming up right now.
I have lost a bunch to inexperience, but am learning
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2010   #22
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Ray

I say go for it!!! Nothing like those whites on the grill and a nice frosty one in hand. Maybe you will get a hot spell and can rest in de tub and take a picture of your winter harvest at hand.

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2010   #23
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Duh Vinci - I absolutely love your photo - you are to photography what that "other guy" was to painting!
Old January 14, 2010   #24
remy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Hey Remy,

I am ready!!!

What I wouldn't do for a Zweigles (or Hydes) White Hotdog right now. Just typed in "Zweigles" and there indeed is a Company that will ship you by FedEx, a 3 pound bag of them for $46.00. At $15.00+ per pound that seems outrageous - - but I am tempted.......

https://www.nystyledeli.com/cgi-bin/deli/3-lbs.html

Raybo
$15/lb! You really do love those dogs to contemplate that. I think my Gary would pay that much for Sahlens dogs if we were to move away though.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Old January 14, 2010   #25
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

OK Remy what's special about a Zweigles or Hydes white hot dog - for years I have only eaten Nathans - how do they compare?
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2010   #26
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

by the way if Raybo buys some and they are that good I will be on the way to C.L. - right Raybo or are you up by the silicon valley ??- has to be after next week cause we are supposed to get slammed with rain most of next week

- and they say it never rains in So Calif
Dennis
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2010   #27
remy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbigfish View Post
OK Remy what's special about a Zweigles or Hydes white hot dog - for years I have only eaten Nathans - how do they compare?
I hate hot dogs. I know all about them though. People from Rochester love Zweigles or Hydes. Zweigles is more famous and sold in Buffalo. But any true Buffalonian will tell you Sahlens are the best. My Gary loves them so much he brought them to the CHOPTAG tomato party to make for everyone. (VGary was nice enough to make ketchup and slaw for them.) Sahlens are well known. One time there was interviews with big time national chefs about their favorite junk food. One of them in the DC area said said a Sahlens hot dog. Also some guy who won best hot dogs in Atlanta was having Sahlens shipped down there. You can also get a Sahlens hot dog in Tempe, Arizona at Ted's Restaurant. Ted's is a local chain and for some odd reason there is ONE store in Tempe? http://www.tedsonline.com/menu.php
Ray might have some odd facts about Zweigles.
Remy

Old January 14, 2010   #28
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

Come to think of it, I dont think they sell any whitehots here in IL. Thanks guys, now I want one.
yotetrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2010   #29
remy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotetrapper View Post
Come to think of it, I dont think they sell any whitehots here in IL. Thanks guys, now I want one.
BTW guess what is opening up in the spring? The Whistle Pig! Someone finally bought the place and they are not making a new business. They decided to go with the old business. I don't know if they'll ever have kiddie rides again, but I'm sure they'll have the hot dogs with bacon and cheese.
Remy

Old January 15, 2010   #30
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Here we are at 8 days post-seeding. I REALLY need to get these over to Roy and Shelly, they are getting too leggy! (I don't have a dedicated light set-up.)

Also I was mistaken earlier: the "precocious" sprout is not a pepper, it is actually a Golden Gem! None of the peppers or eggplant have sprouted yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg web.jpg (239.2 KB, 47 views)