Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 2, 2017   #2776
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Starting to get a few tomatoes. BCD, Fourth of July, Esterina, Kiss and BHN 1021. Should be getting lots of Skyway 687 and Primo Red soon, with Tycoon and Tomande later. Pruden's Purple, Chief Choice, First Prize, Jetsetter, Danny and Dona Op coming later in smaller quantities.
May be a short season. We are starting to pick tomatoes about the same time they appear to stop setting.
Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomatoes BCD Fourth of July Esterina Kiss BHN1021.jpg (73.5 KB, 76 views)
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #2777
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Larry, stay positive. Plants are resilient, you will get more. Strong plant produce like creasy at the end of the season.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #2778
verobeachbob1
Tomatovillian™

I am waiting for some Burpee Heatwave II Hybirds to germinate; May 4, 2017, been two weeks. Also have Bonnie Plant Florida 91, Phoenix, Solar Fire, and Heatmasters transplanted and some are flowering. Hoping they will do better than my tomato crop, decimated when hot weather came last year. I am in Zone 10, Vero Beach. Any advice? Is this group on facebook, too?
verobeachbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #2779
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeachbob1 View Post
I am waiting for some Burpee Heatwave II Hybirds to germinate; May 4, 2017, been two weeks. Also have Bonnie Plant Florida 91, Phoenix, Solar Fire, and Heatmasters transplanted and some are flowering. Hoping they will do better than my tomato crop, decimated when hot weather came last year. I am in Zone 10, Vero Beach. Any advice? Is this group on facebook, too?
In Vero you probably are in a frost free zone, like me, in 10b. We have the ability to do one planting starting seeds in late August, you will have fruit all the way to late May. So that is my advice, forget summer. Too little fruit set.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #2780
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
As soon as my tomatoes and beans are done for in a few short weeks, I will be planting a few vegetables that have proven to grow in Florida in the Summer. That being, Okra, Astro Arugula, Swiss Chard?, Sunflowers and Cowpeas. I may try a few other things that a marginal in the heat. Come July I hope to start getting my tomato seedlings ready for the fall. Hope to have another tomato fall season like the last. It was my best fall season ever.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #2781
verobeachbob1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
In Vero you probably are in a frost free zone, like me, in 10b. We have the ability to do one planting starting seeds in late August, you will have fruit all the way to late May. So that is my advice, forget summer. Too little fruit set.
Thanks, ginger2778! Where is Zone 10b? No, we haven't had a frost in quite a few years; we are south of the Sebastian Inlet, where South Florida and America's Subtropics start. Gulf Stream veers sharply east further north. I will have to try planting in late August, thank you; of course, still a steam bath here at that date.
Old May 4, 2017   #2782
verobeachbob1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
As soon as my tomatoes and beans are done for in a few short weeks, I will be planting a few vegetables that have proven to grow in Florida in the Summer. That being, Okra, Astro Arugula, Swiss Chard?, Sunflowers and Cowpeas. I may try a few other things that a marginal in the heat. Come July I hope to start getting my tomato seedlings ready for the fall. Hope to have another tomato fall season like the last. It was my best fall season ever.
Larry
Hi Zone9b, thanks for responding. I am trying Park Seed Malabar Spinach seeds, and Burpee Marconi Peppers, also from seed. So far, no one's germinated. The Burpee Heatwave II Hybrids have germinated but are very slow going. The Bonnie Plants are doing well, a recent addition; just now flowering. Florida 91s, Phoenix, Solar Fire, and Heatmasters. Determinates. They are all getting a few gosh darnoodley leaf miners, doing mist of Sevin. Where is Zone9b? I am a container grower, and this is just my second year, so appreciate any and all advice. Thanks, "Farmer Bob," Vero Beach, FL
Old May 4, 2017   #2783
verobeachbob1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hi Zone9b, thanks for responding. I am trying Park Seed Malabar Spinach seeds, and Burpee Marconi Peppers, also from seed. So far, no one's germinated. The Burpee Heatwave II Hybrids have germinated but are very slow going. The Bonnie Plants are doing well, a recent addition; just now flowering. Florida 91s, Phoenix, Solar Fire, and Heatmasters. Determinates. They are all getting a few gosh darnoodley leaf miners, doing mist of Sevin. Where is Zone9b? I am a container grower, and this is just my second year, so appreciate any and all advice. Thanks, "Farmer Bob," Vero Beach, FL
"gosh darnoodley" not my wording; mystery, sorry
Old May 4, 2017   #2784
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks, ginger2778! Where is Zone 10b? No, we haven't had a frost in quite a few years; we are south of the Sebastian Inlet, where South Florida and America's Subtropics start. Gulf Stream veers sharply east further north. I will have to try planting in late August, thank you; of course, still a steam bath here at that date.
My part of 10b is Plantation, basically west Ft.Lauderdale. Kurt in homestead is in 10b too.
Old May 4, 2017   #2785
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Here is a link to the current USDA hardiness zone map.

Whenever you try to say d.a.m.n. The software substitutes gosh darnoodley. I know, pretty stupid right?
Old May 4, 2017   #2786
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Welcome Bob.

I'm in Indialantic which is probably 20 Miles North of the S. Inlet.

For LeafMiners, we use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1B7M9EQGNCLQA

Actually, $12.50 is a really good price. It is the ONLY brand to buy; the others are too strong and will catch lizards, etc.

----
I'm growing Marconi Peppers now and grew peppers and cucumbers all summer last year.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #2787
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Marsha - Thanks for your list awhile back; I'm still thinking on it. I want to have many less plants; I have way to much waste with the # of tomatoes I get even giving them away wherever possible. I find if they are imperfect, I don't give them away and can only eat so many.

What have you decided you are giving the 'boot'?

----
Well for not having any rain for months, we just had a huge thunderstorm come through - 2nd this week.

Farmer Bob - Forgot to mention, one summer I tried growing several of the 'heat' type varieties you are growing thinking that it is OK to start them really late. I didn't have luck with fruit production.
Old May 4, 2017   #2788
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Welcome Bob.

I'm in Indialantic which is probably 20 Miles North of the S. Inlet.

For LeafMiners, we use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1B7M9EQGNCLQA

Actually, $12.50 is a really good price. It is the ONLY brand to buy; the others are too strong and will catch lizards, etc.

----
I'm growing Marconi Peppers now and grew peppers and cucumbers all summer last year.
I haven't ever seen it at that good of a price. That is the best thing for leaf miners that I have found. Barb is right the glue is too strong on the other brands and I saw it capture a lizard, then a bird got caught and it ripped out several wing feathers, but this brand has animal sparing glue. Heartbreaking to see that bird run off because it couldn't fly.
Old May 4, 2017   #2789
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Yes we had all that rain too. Barb my list of what I am giving the boot is just too long. Much easier to post what I'm keeping every year. Barb have you ever growing a pomegranate?
Old May 6, 2017   #2790
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Yes we had all that rain too. Barb my list of what I am giving the boot is just too long. Much easier to post what I'm keeping every year. Barb have you ever growing a pomegranate?
Never grew a pomegranate - Are you planning on growing it?

Mango season looks disappointing this year. Probably drought related and the trees only set what it could support. Wind has been relentless all spring; that isn't helping.

Woke up to 60 degrees today. This season won't quit. A race to see which big fruit sets last.