Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 17, 2016   #256
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Oh, OK, pink plus the gf gene, plus clear epidermis. Is that better?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2016   #257
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Clear epidermis black and it looks purple. All of my tomatoes, these and my PL hearts have a clear epidermis. This gives a black tomato a purplish Color to my eye. See my avatar which is a photo of one of my PL hearts I call Tundra, now at F5. This in contrast to a yellow epidermis black which looks mahogany brown to my eye.
This is my opinion and this is how I distinguish between a brown black or my purple black. The difference is in the epidermis Color and I will call it Karma purple.
Interestingly, There is a dark pink coming which lacks the dark green and also a bicolour with an unusual colour, dark pink skin with a yellow interior. Lots of fun
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2016   #258
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Clear epidermis black and it looks purple. All of my tomatoes, these and my PL hearts have a clear epidermis. This gives a black tomato a purplish Color to my eye. See my avatar which is a photo of one of my PL hearts I call Tundra, now at F5. This in contrast to a yellow epidermis black which looks mahogany brown to my eye.
This is my opinion and this is how I distinguish between a brown black or my purple black. The difference is in the epidermis Color and I will call it Karma purple.
Interestingly, There is a dark pink coming which lacks the dark green and also a bicolour with an unusual colour, dark pink skin with a yellow interior. Lots of fun
KO
Karen, this is so exciting. Wish you both the best. Not just the project you are working on, the partnership you and Marsha have, is a great example why so many people love TV.
I can not wait for you to release PL heart and cherry.
Thank you ladies.
Carolyn, thank you for the info. It is nice to know that someone else is interested in creating PL cherry tomato. It looks though that Karen and Marsha will get there first.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2016   #259
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Karen, this is so exciting. Wish you both the best. Not just the project you are working on, the partnership you and Marsha have, is a great example why so many people love TV.
I can not wait for you to release PL heart and cherry.
Thank you ladies.
Carolyn, thank you for the info. It is nice to know that someone else is interested in creating PL cherry tomato. It looks though that Karen and Marsha will get there first.
Here's a PL cherry you might not know about.Seed available from both Jeff Casey in Canada as well as Tania herself.Had I Googled it I'm pretty sure there are other sources as well.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...llow_Submarine

Carolyn
Old December 18, 2016   #260
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

There are several other PL cherries. We have a unique PL cherry, because it is also a multiflora, with pink with gf gene phenotype flesh, (a lot easier to say purple lol.), and clear epidermis.
Old December 18, 2016   #261
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
KO
I like this!
Old December 18, 2016   #262
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

There are lots of PL cherries. My Favorite, before I bred these cherries was one called brandywine cherry that I bought from Tatiana's. pink and delicious although a bit large to really be called a cherry.
So many beautiful tomatoes in this world. So many breeders with outstanding projects on the go. We admire them all. And for those here on TV we follow their threads happy with their successes and excited to grow their tomatoes.

These are ours. Ours are new. Ours are different. This thread is about the KARMA Project and we hope folks enjoy it.

KarenO
Old December 19, 2016   #263
imp
Tomatovillian™

I am just happy that all is working out so well for you two- hard work and going onwards is paying off!! Me, I can breed animals, LOL, but not tomatoes, I settle for eating them happily!

I am intrigued a lot by the pink skin apricot one. So pretty! But they ALL are very pretty.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2016   #264
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Imp. When I get photos of the pink skin yellow flesh, I will post them. I hope the trait still stays. It is very unusual. Karen has a huge instinctive talent for what will make a great cross. As a bonus, one parent was not yet stable, but in a good Way!
We are getting results we never dreamed of.

Karen, if the trait stays I like the idea of KARMA Apricot, what do you think?
Old December 19, 2016   #265
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

This is just so very cool! Fantastic teamwork and documentation, and great pictures! Thanks to both of you for doing this work!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2016   #266
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Darin,and Marsha, Karma apricot is a pretty name. Is it setting fruit yet? There was a little pointed heart in one truss of the apricot F2.
I have saved seed from that one fruit to grow out separately but something to watch for again in your F3. It may have just been one abnormal fruit as it only had a single Locule.
Thanks for the compliment Marsha, two great tomatoes should make at least some good offspring. I think selecting and stabilizing something new and hopefully at least a little unique is the hard part and this is why I value your help so much. Makes it more satisfying and fun for me and at twice the speed it's never boring!
I trust your judgement, your tastebuds, your growing skills and your integrity. It's been nothing but fun working on these with you.
KarenO
Old December 19, 2016   #267
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Yes it is setting cherry shaped 6 to a truss fruit on both plants. Both are in 7 gallon pots.
Old December 20, 2016   #268
paprika
Tomatovillian™

Delighted to see that the progression on this team adventure is going so well!
Hope you find many tasty and worthy segregates!
Kudos and congratulations to you both!
paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2016   #269
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by paprika View Post
Delighted to see that the progression on this team adventure is going so well!
Hope you find many tasty and worthy segregates!
Kudos and congratulations to you both!
Thank You! Are you delighted enough to don that speedo? Heh Heh!
Old December 20, 2016   #270
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Thank You! Are you delighted enough to don that speedo? Heh Heh!
Sounds to me like there's a story here...
And thank you for the nice comment
KarenO