Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 23, 2017   #241
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz77 View Post
Another thing I noticed is that even people who live in supposedly colder area than me, have already started their seeds. Are you planning on growing your tomatoes in a low tunnel or in some kind of protected enviroment? If not, when are you planning on moving your grafted seedlings outside and/or into the ground? In my area there is a low risk of frost until the end of March. I remember one morning frost on April 5th many years ago, but that was an exception.

I’m planning on starting my first seeds around March 10-13.

This is the earliest I've started them, but my understanding is that I could expect to lose several weeks of growth time while the grafted plants heal.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #242
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

My FF date is around the 10th of April but I sometimes plant as early as March 25th depending on the long term forecast.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #243
5haun5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I think it's just too new right now, at least on the home gardening front, as I also could not find much about it.
Indeed. All I've found is De Ruiters own page extolling it's virtue as a rootstock (especially in glasshouses and for "High tech artificially lit" crops) and a few press releases from the last 18 months or so announcing it as the successor to Maxifort.

I only had the choice between the DRO141TX (described as having high vigour) and Beaufort (described as moderate vigour) and, as I'm growing outside un-irrigated I want the biggest root system I can get to gather water from far and wide - hence I chose the 141.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I know Bill has cautioned us many times to start rootstock later than scion seeds, but this one just might be an exception to that.

I just sowed enough rootstock seed for my main crop this morning -- most will be grafted onto DRO, with just five varieties also going onto RST for comparison. I'll keep you posted on what happens with DRO in this batch, as well as continue updates on the first four.
That's really good of you. The more info we can gather and share the better we'll all be able to do.
Cheers,
Shaun.
Old February 24, 2017   #244
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Alright got 3 rootstock and scions that matched up for size finally. They were a touch small for the silcone 2.0 clips so i put the pinch move on them with the spring grafting clips. It worked pretty good and the spring clips rest perfect on the side of the plastic pots. It dawned on me i left the cotyledons on but they are already in the healing chamber and i dont want to disturb them. The three combos i got were

Maxifort/Brutus
Maxifort/Red Barn
Estamino/Giant Roo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170224_175654-1328x747.jpg (272.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 20170224_175927-1328x747.jpg (232.2 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 20170224_181857-1328x747.jpg (265.7 KB, 118 views)
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2017   #245
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Looks good, I'd recommend getting some 1.5mm clips though. I use them more than any size and smaller plants seem to recover much better.
Old February 25, 2017   #246
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Yeah i need to order some up real quick. But by the time they get here it will be too late.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Old February 26, 2017   #247
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Wow I'm glad I brought in all my grafts that I had outside last night. I don't know if we had a frost but it got down to 34 here which was a surprise. I doubt it would have killed any of them but it might have bronzed them up and made them look bad for a few days.
We are supposed to get down in the very low 40s again on Friday. I have three flats of about 24 plants each potted up and outside hardening off right now. I have two other flats still on the porch and they are still a bit small for potting up into potting soil.

If I can find the time I would like to graft some of the root stock tops I rooted with some of my initial seedling varieties but I may have waited a bit long as they are all getting very tall and may be too big for any of my grafting clips. My second batch of seedlings will probably be ready to graft in about a week or so. They are now 3 to 4 inches tall for the most part and growing much faster than my first planting did with this mostly hot weather we are having. Hard to believe it was 85 yesterday and 34 last night.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2017   #248
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like the weather here. I have a lot of transplanting to do myself. It's still early for me to be potting up. Guess I'm going to have a lot of big plants to sell this year. Hopefully they don't start blooming to early.
Old February 27, 2017   #249
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

I just grafted my first two plants: SOO and Prue with the RST rootstock.

I used the Bill-method with the trimmed roots, DE, etc. I thought for sure they were big enough for the 2 mm clips but the 1.5 fit perfectly. I'm glad I trimmed the scion top before making the 45 degree cut across rootstock and scion . . . because it's too easy to mix the tops up!

I used a magnifying glass and the grafts seem to line up great. The two grafts - and the two RST tops- are in my smallest healing chamber which has a good mist on the tops and sides.

Fingers crossed!

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2017   #250
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

All 3 of my first round of grafts are still going strong so far. Got 5 more grafted tonight they are

Estamino/Brutus
Estamino/Delicious
Estamino/Giant Roo
Estamino/Mega Marv
Maxifort/Big Zac F7

Red Barn is way bigger than any of the rootstock so i suppose i will only have 1 grafted from the first set. The first set are still in the healing chamber and are set to come out tomorrow. I started leaving the cotyledons on the scion and cutting them off if the rootstock. It helps to tell the two tops apart when i cut the two side by side at the same time. Here are a few pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170301_184122-1328x747.jpg (264.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 20170301_183959-1328x747.jpg (377.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 20170301_184115-1328x747.jpg (434.5 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by heirloomtomaguy; March 2, 2017 at 12:18 AM.
Old March 2, 2017   #251
b54red
Tomatovillian™

You are making your grafts awfully low on the root stock. I have trouble with roots coming down from the scion when I graft that low on the plant. It may be because of our humidity but roots will form on the scion when the graft juncture is an inch from the soil line and grow down into the soil sometimes soon after planting out. Sometimes it can't be helped, but I try to get most of my grafts above the root stock cotyledons if possible. When grafting above the cotyledons I have the problem of having to keep pinching off suckers below the graft juncture for a while; but it is worth it for me with my severe soil born problems. It also makes planting out much easier. Just something to consider in your future grafts.

Bill
Old March 2, 2017   #252
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

To update I've lost a few of my latest grafts. I think maybe they were to small. The stems rotted through. I should be able to graft another round soon.
Old March 2, 2017   #253
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Bill. I burried them a bit to low so i will bring them up a half inch or so.
Old March 2, 2017   #254
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Thanks Bill. I burried them a bit to low so i will bring them up a half inch or so.
You can do that when you pot them up to potting soil or when they are ready to set out. Just brush away some of the DE on top and pinch off some of the exposed roots.

Bill
Old March 2, 2017   #255
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
To update I've lost a few of my latest grafts. I think maybe they were to small. The stems rotted through. I should be able to graft another round soon.
Probably damping off. It happens more often with small stems but it can happen with larger stems if they are left in a humidity chamber too long.

I just got through grafting with some really big seedlings. I was trying to use up those rooted root stock tops and some of them were very large over a foot tall. Luckily I could still get most of them grafted using 3mm grafting clips. By the time I was finished most of them were wilting pretty bad. I misted the chamber well and closed it up and covered it with a towel and will leave it closed for two days. I don't expect the high success rate with these that I got with the normal sized seedlings. I should have used most of them a couple of weeks ago but didn't have the time to fool with them and since they are basically going to be giveaways if any of them survive. I still have enough to do another chamber tomorrow so I may do some more.

My second batch of seedlings will be ready to start grafting with in another week or so. They are getting true leaves but the stems are still very small on most of them and my scions are way behind my root stock even after waiting a week between plantings. When they are ready I won't have much time to get them done before they are too large with the warming weather they just grow too fast to keep up with sometimes.

Bill