Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 12, 2013   #241
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Well now I feel a bit less guilty about using English translations for some of these tomatoes.For me it's not so much the spelling but the pronunciations that are the biggest difficulty.

kath
I have an idea, I do that from time to time.

Alex sent me a book about how to learn Russian and i guess I just stopped reading, but reading Russian became a priority for me after the following:

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...t=tsar-kolokol

I don't know if you ever saw that thread or not.

Anyway, I thought it might be both helpful and fun for me to put up a thread asking all Russian speaking persons if they'd like to help the restof us with pronunciation of variety names, not writtin in cyrillic, but from the translated names.

For instance, I was so proud of myself for being able to translate Sakharnyi Slon to Sugary Elephant, but I'd like to know how both words are pronounced.

And I say Russian b'c personally I'm OK with German and French pronunciation, for the most part, and if enough interest we could make it a sticky for reference purposes.

Just one language though, to see how it might go.

Good idea or a bad idea b'c I also know that not all Russian speaking/writing persons translate the same name in the same way and it wouldn't surprise me if there were different Russian dialects as well and different ways of translating from the Russianto English.

So????

Carolyn
Old April 12, 2013   #242
kath
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I think that sounds like a great idea- I'd love to know how to pronounce the names. Very interesting thread, albeit a bit confusing for me- and no, I hadn't seen it before so thanks for posting it.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2013   #243
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Ladies, I do read and write in Russian language (I grow up in Ukraine, went to school and college there). Offering my services, just let me know what needs to be translated, more than happy to help.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2013   #244
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Ladies, I do read and write in Russian language (I grow up in Ukraine, went to school and college there). Offering my services, just let me know what needs to be translated, more than happy to help.
Thanks so much for volunteering. Let me give it some thought before I post a thread about it in the General Discussion area.

I know I've received many many varieties from the former USSR, now known as theCIS ( Commweath of Independent States) and you can see from the link above that there are several here already who have helped when needed and .

But I really do think it would be great to have one spot to go to for help, despite my being able to translate that one variety to Sugary Elephant which I don't understand, but there was another one called Fat Boy, also from the CIS.

Some are heirlooms but most are ones bred by various seed companies there.

And with my last seed offer here Tania was most helpful b'c there were three companies selling Pood, or was it Pink Flamingo, and while the pictures on the pack were the same the seeds inside gave different results.

Aside from the many Russian ones at Tania's site there are several other seed sites where Russian ones are being sold as well, But I'd prefer not to deal with the e-bay sales unless some seed site we know is also offering one of those/

So give me some time and then I'll start that new thread.

Carolyn
Old April 12, 2013   #245
relic
Tomatovillian™

1. Pantano Romanesco
2. Black Krim

3. Omar’s Lebanese
4. Palestinian
5. Krasnodar Titans
6. Blueberry
7. Amana Orange
8. Bursztyn
9. Grightmire’s Pride
10. Kellogg’s Breakfast
11. Mayo’s Delight
12. Mama Alla
13. Kermit
14. Native Sun
15. Provenzano
16. Red Butterheart
17. Sylvan Gaume
18. Stupice
19. Soldacki
20. Green Giant
21. Purple Calabash
22. Chianti Rose
23. Sungold
24. San Marzano Lungo II
25. Sweetie
26. Supersweet

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...pscaf9f05b.jpg

anywhere from 3 to 30 plants of each.
relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2013   #246
roadrunner
Tomatovillian™

Not experimenting much this year, at least not with tomatoes anyways.
Going with the "tried and true".

Sun Gold
Super Sweet 100's
Black Cherry
Parks Whopper
German Johnson
Early Girl
Celebrity
Cherokee Purple (first time on this one)
Beefsteak
Mortgage Lifter
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2013   #247
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

I have changed my list a good bit from earlier this year.

Bush Big Boy Hybrid
First Prize Hybrid
Pink Wonder Hybrid
Pink Beauty Hybrid
Carolina Gold Hybrid
Gurney's Ruby Monster Hybrid
Gurney Girl II Hybrid
Pink Cadillac Hybrid
First Ladies Hybrid
Abe Lincoln Improved Hybrid
Sweet Tangerine Hybrid
Gregori's Altai
2 Stella Rosa (Growouts)

Still on the fence with Ultra Boy Hybrid, might swap out First Ladies for it.

CECIL
Old April 13, 2013   #248
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I have an idea, I do that from time to time.

Alex sent me a book about how to learn Russian and i guess I just stopped reading, but reading Russian became a priority for me after the following:

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...t=tsar-kolokol

I don't know if you ever saw that thread or not.

Anyway, I thought it might be both helpful and fun for me to put up a thread asking all Russian speaking persons if they'd like to help the restof us with pronunciation of variety names, not writtin in cyrillic, but from the translated names.

For instance, I was so proud of myself for being able to translate Sakharnyi Slon to Sugary Elephant, but I'd like to know how both words are pronounced.

And I say Russian b'c personally I'm OK with German and French pronunciation, for the most part, and if enough interest we could make it a sticky for reference purposes.

Just one language though, to see how it might go.

Good idea or a bad idea b'c I also know that not all Russian speaking/writing persons translate the same name in the same way and it wouldn't surprise me if there were different Russian dialects as well and different ways of translating from the Russianto English.

So????

Carolyn
I can help too. I learned Russian language at the school ten years, but fourty years ago. Polish,czech,russian,slovak and next are slavonic languages and we understand between us.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2013   #249
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
I can help too. I learned Russian language at the school ten years, but fourty years ago. Polish,czech,russian,slovak and next are slavonic languages and we understand between us.
Vladimír
Again, thanks so much for volunteering and in the next few days I will put up an initial informational thread in the General Discussion Forum, asking for those who want to volunteer to kind of sign up, and when that's through then the real thread where folks can ask questions about translations and pronunciations.

And hopefully that can become a sticky.

Let's start with one language first, Russian, and then see how it goes before deciding if more stickys for different languages might be helpful.

And of course with the real thread I'll refer folks to Tania's website since she lists so many from the CIS, but cerainly not all, and help with pronunciations from the real thread should help as well.

Again, thanks for volunterring and I'll be looking for your name in that initial informational thread.

Carolyn
Old April 13, 2013   #250
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I started a few earlies, but the bulk of the varieties/experimentals I've yet to even decide on. That'll be in about a week, or so.

To tell the truth, I really don't want to see another tomato seed for as long as possible (Post Traumatic Swap Disorder).

Dr. Lve Apple
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2013   #251
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I started a few earlies, but the bulk of the varieties/experimentals I've yet to even decide on. That'll be in about a week, or so.

To tell the truth, I really don't want to see another tomato seed for as long as possible (Post Traumatic Swap Disorder).

Dr. Lve Apple
Well you DID volunteer to do it, didn't you?

Carolyn,not known as a Love Apple, rather a Pomo d' Oro.
Old April 13, 2013   #252
OtterJon
Tomatovillian™

We are nowhere near time to plant, and I recently moved, but overwintered a few plants and have started,

Micro-Tom
Bowen's Buckeye
Lemon Blush
Alisia Craig Extreme Dwarf
Extreme Dwarf Pimp
Vesuvio
Italian Winter
Pink Russian 2
Camp Joy Cherry
Coyote
Ulrichowski Wczesny
Pomodoro a Grappoli d'Inverno
Red Robin
Tiny Tim
Chesapeke
Ramapo f7 (thank you barkeater)
Bijskij Zeltyi
and a few others yet to be decided...We have plenty of time in Northern Michigan, I still have six inches of snow on the ground...

Last edited by OtterJon; April 13, 2013 at 03:55 PM.
OtterJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2013   #253
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Default My tomato varieties.

My quest has always been to come up with a stable of the best tasting fruit, to grow every year and enjoy. Here are my favorites so far.

Brandywine -Cowlicks- my all time fave
BW Suddeth- to compare
Black Cherry
Juane Flamme
Lucky Cross
Stump
Kimberly
Sungold
San Marzano
Opalka

I can't imagine a year without growing these 10.

The following are new or second timers

JD's
Rosella Purple
Purple Dog Creek
Berkley Tie Dye Pink
Black n Brown Boar
Red Rose
Matts Wild Cherry
Peace Vine cherry
San Marzano Redorta
Green Drs.
KBX
Neves Azorean Red
Morovsky Div
A polish paste ( A family heirloom in the same family for several generations)
Dwarf Yukon Quest
Dwarf Mr. Snow

I grew 50-60 varieties last year and many were kind of a let down. I like tomatoes with a strong assertive flavor. Many were just too mild for my liking. I tried several hearts, just too bland for my tastes.

Some of my surprises from last year: BW Cowlicks- Excellent assertive flavor from the first of the season to the last, incredible!! Jaune Flamme, always liked, but found it makes the most wonderful orange sauce (remove seeds and gel) we use it with Ravioli, delightful. San Marzano roasted are to die for.

I have yet to grow a dark that I really love. Last year a few of the Rosella fruit were there, but the outstanding flavor was not consistant. Grew them at my sons house, so conditions and care may not have been tops.
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2013   #254
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

Sadly, over the years, I've gone from over 30, to this year a measly 8 plants.

Beefmaster (bf chose it at the nursery)
Julia Child
Beauty King
Green Zebra
Cherokee Purple
Sungold
Golden Gates
Black Krim
vermiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2013   #255
gryffin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryffin View Post
I started most of my seeds tonight- I had been planning to grow Milka's Red Bulgarian, but since the seeds haven't yet arrived, I sowed Prue instead for another good sized red. I'm still waiting for seeds for the 2 starred varieties, since my starting tray is full, I need to wait for a couple of varieties to germinate before starting the last 2 anyway.

Reds
Neves Azorean Red
Cuostralee
Prue
Maya & Sion's Airdrie
Fish Lake Oxheart
Danko
Red Brandywine
Zleovo
Hawaiian

Pinks
Pruden's Purple
Aunt Ginny's Purple
Cowlick's Brandywine
Liz Birt
Terhune
Dutka's Pink x2
Tsar Kolokol
Kosovo
Pervaya Lyubov
Yukon Quest

Blacks
Indian Stripe
*Paul Robeson
JD's Special C-Tex
Bear Creek
Spudatula
Rosella Purple
Tasmanian Chocolate
Dwarf Wild Fred

Green When Ripes
Malachite Box

Orange/Yellow/White
Dwarf Mr. Snow
KBX
Orange Minsk
Jaune Flamme
*Blush
Got the Paul Robeson seeds today (very quick shipping from Tania!), and managed to squeeze one more start into my tray this evening.
gryffin is offline   Reply With Quote