Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old December 10, 2010   #241
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

I saw a couple of previous posts regarding the dense planting of broccoli, but no mention was made of how it worked out. Has anyone tried broccoli or cauliflower this way? As an experiment; I started 9 of each in a 2 1/2" container. They are coming up, but I am not sure at what point I should attempt to transplant...are the root systems of these type of crops as tough as those of peppers and tomatoes?
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2010   #242
whistler
Tomatovillian™

I grew cauliflower and broccoli (and tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, Brussels sprouts, & parsley) last year using the dense planting method of seed starting (my first time starting anything from seed). My plants all responded well - no issues with potting up. As I recall, I just waited until the seedlings got their 2nd set of true leaves, then potted them up into 3.5" pots, where they stayed until going into the ground.
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2010   #243
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler View Post
I grew cauliflower and broccoli (and tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, Brussels sprouts, & parsley) last year using the dense planting method of seed starting (my first time starting anything from seed). My plants all responded well - no issues with potting up. As I recall, I just waited until the seedlings got their 2nd set of true leaves, then potted them up into 3.5" pots, where they stayed until going into the ground.
Good to hear...I didn't go nuts...I started nine of broccoli and nine of cauliflower in separate 2 1/2 pots. Babies are up...we'll see where we are at in a few weeks...thanks for your help!
Old December 22, 2010   #244
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Wow! These videos are great. It completely changed my perspective on starting from seed and transplanting. I'm just a small backyard gardener, but this approach will still save me time. I usually double transplant tomato seedlings (first to a 2 inch pot, then to a 4 inch pot). I like the idea of going straight to a 4 inch pot. I also baby my plants under the grow lights too much until it gets warm outside (and probably water them too often). My seedlings will go outside much earlier this year.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2011   #245
whistler
Tomatovillian™

Time to bump this excellent thread.
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2011   #246
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Just curious...you 'pot up' into 4-inch pots...how deep are those pots? You use round pots...do you prefer those to square for some reason, or is it just personal preference?
Old February 20, 2011   #247
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Nothing really happening yet, Craig - right now the seedlings are in their 4 inch pots and we are half way through our seedling sales. I will probably shoot the next vid when I start planting my large pots with indeterminates and dwarfs - perhaps during the next week (no room at the inn yet - got to clear the driveway to allow for them!)
Just curious...you 'pot up' into 4-inch pots...how deep are those pots? You use round pots...do you prefer those to square for some reason (root system?), or is it just personal preference? (I may have messed up that last post.)
Old February 20, 2011   #248
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hi there, just checked in to this thread...to answer a few questions on this page -

the transplanted beets were a great success - perfect beets perfectly spaced!

No difference in round or square pots - whatever I can get from the farm supply place - though I am thinking of using the thin plastic 3 inch squares in sheets of 18, so I can fit more into the mesh basket trays. The depth is about 4 inches (am away for the weekend, so just going on memory).

Glad people are getting use out of the vids!
Old February 20, 2011   #249
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Craig, I have a flat of peppers where many of the cells have seedlings that are about 1 inch tall. However, several cells have not sprouted at all yet. I am wondering if I should keep the plastic on in the hope the the last remaining cells germinate, or should I take the plastic off, get the good plants under grow lights, and re-plant the slow pokes?
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2011   #250
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Some peppers (and eggplant) can be real slowpokes. Once the majority of the cells have life, that is when I toss the plastic and get them under lights - if you keep the non=growing cells moist, often they will show - especially once the flats can get into some real sunlight. The other possibility is to cut squares or strips of saran wrap to fit over the non-germinating cells - that way you can uncover the flat and get good air circulation, and keep moisture in the ones that haven't germinated yet.
Old February 25, 2011   #251
Jackster
Tomatovillian™

The peppers/eggplants/tomatoes you grow in your driveway in pots - what size pots/growbags are you using? Is the yield comparable to what you get in the garden? re: the June 11th update video.
Jackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2011   #252
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

For eggplants, 5 gallon work great. For peppers, 5 gallon for sweets, 1 gallon or larger for hots. Yields for eggplant and peppers far surpasses garden grown plants for me - I think it is because they love hot roots.

The Dwarf tomatoes do fine in 5 gallon, would of course yield more in larger pots. For Indeterminate tomatoes, 10 gallon or more is recommended. Yields are comparable in a typical season - last year nothing did well anywhere due to excessive heat, consistently.
Old February 25, 2011   #253
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

I agree Craig...peppers and eggplant in containers far outperform those in the ground. The peppers also over-winter in the house very well.
Old February 27, 2011   #254
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
This is a bit rough but works well enough - we may do a retake, but until then... snip

I like your style, the simplicity.

NCTomatoMan...you the man.

Where do you obtain your seed containers?
Old February 27, 2011   #255
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I get the plug flats from Johnnys, and the 4 inch plastic pots from a local garden supply center - they are made by the Kord company (that's what the box says). I think this year I am moving to the sheets of 18 3 inch square pots to save a bit on planting mix and allow 3 more pots in the basket trays I use. Plus, they are much less expensive than the individual plastic pots.