Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old December 28, 2012   #241
Diriel
Tomatovillian™

@RayR,

I am reading up on your post, this seems promising. I would like to hear from Levant as well, to perhaps compare "notes" as it were.

Gary
Diriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2012   #242
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Thanks RayR! This is an excellent thread.
Dutch
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2012   #243
Levent
Tomatovillian™

I've been growing plants in diatomite since early 2000's.I've started hundreds of plants from cuttings or seeds and grown most of them in diatomite.In the beginning they were mostly common house plants later I focused on more challenging ones such as succulents and Hoyas.I possess the second biggest Hoya collection of Turkey (around 100 species) at the moment.Neverthless to say this is a rather humble number considering currently known +400 species though unique because of being grown in diatomite.4-5 years ago I have taken an interest in edibles.I tried chillis, some greens such as parsley,dill,arugula etc and all these experiments resulted in success.Untill last year I 've applied only inorganic liquid ferts (NPK +ME) to my plants in diatomite but all the time I've suspected that there happened a vounteer organic fert component.I'm sure some roots in diatomite died and decayed in rhizosphere thus turning to somewhat organic fert.Diatomite in my pots couldn't be considered sterile!This observation led me to try organic ferts in my systems.Last season although using mainly inorganic ferts I also applied AACT to the chillis in subirrigation pots.I have not been confronted with any negative/adverse effects so far.All the chillis highly yielded, I managed to overwinter them.For me it's time to go a step further.I plan to grow plants in diatomite using organic ferts, AACT literally.This thread deals with only seed starting so it's a bit restrictive although being excellent.I'll continue to post my seedlings here.I think we need a new one on growing in diatomite to share our experiments.
Levent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2012   #244
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Sure, start another thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levent View Post
I've been growing plants in diatomite since early 2000's.I've started hundreds of plants from cuttings or seeds and grown most of them in diatomite.In the beginning they were mostly common house plants later I focused on more challenging ones such as succulents and Hoyas.I possess the second biggest Hoya collection of Turkey (around 100 species) at the moment.Neverthless to say this is a rather humble number considering currently known +400 species though unique because of being grown in diatomite.4-5 years ago I have taken an interest in edibles.I tried chillis, some greens such as parsley,dill,arugula etc and all these experiments resulted in success.Untill last year I 've applied only inorganic liquid ferts (NPK +ME) to my plants in diatomite but all the time I've suspected that there happened a vounteer organic fert component.I'm sure some roots in diatomite died and decayed in rhizosphere thus turning to somewhat organic fert.Diatomite in my pots couldn't be considered sterile!This observation led me to try organic ferts in my systems.Last season although using mainly inorganic ferts I also applied AACT to the chillis in subirrigation pots.I have not been confronted with any negative/adverse effects so far.All the chillis highly yielded, I managed to overwinter them.For me it's time to go a step further.I plan to grow plants in diatomite using organic ferts, AACT literally.This thread deals with only seed starting so it's a bit restrictive although being excellent.I'll continue to post my seedlings here.I think we need a new one on growing in diatomite to share our experiments.
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2012   #245
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

What is AACT?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2012   #246
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
What is AACT?
Actively Aerated Compost Tea
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2012   #247
RayR
Tomatovillian™

A separate thread is a good idea.

It's interesting about what you say about the decayed root matter, a sterile growing environment is an impossibility anyway, since bacteria and fungi are ubiquitous they will find their way in. I've never had an actual hydroponics system but I've read a lot about the methods, nutrients and supplements. Organic components have become more commonplace in growing hydroponically as the goal for many has become to produce a better tasting crop than just the high yields. For one thing, other than using live bacterial and fungal inoculants, enzymatic extracts from highly controlled AACT's are used to accelerate break down of organic matter like dead roots cells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levent View Post
Old December 29, 2012   #248
Levent
Tomatovillian™

I'll be pleased to make a contribution.

Chilli seedlings never failed in diatomite!Capsicum chinense 'Pimenta de Bico'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB1.jpg (190.3 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg PB2.jpg (387.0 KB, 137 views)
Levent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2013   #249
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

So I'm wondering: why is growing in DE pruducing a better tasting fruit? How does the productivity differ that the same grown in soil?

I don't totally understand the scientific talk, but keep on reading and soon, hoping it is before I start planting, it will make better sense to me.

In last years garden, I broke off a medium branch from my Sweet Basil plant. I didn't know if it would work, but just stuck in into the ground and mostly forgot about it. Did the same with one of my favorite tomatoes. They both grew wonderfully.

Would DE be a good way to increase your plants this way, say start of few of your more rare / limited seed and when they reach a certain size, pot up a few of the stems? Have you done a lot of this sort of experience Levet or anyone else working with DE?

Yes, I say start a new thread I'm for that.
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2013   #250
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
So I'm wondering: why is growing in DE pruducing a better tasting fruit? How does the productivity differ that the same grown in soil?
I'll let Levent answer about taste and productivity, since he is the only one here so far that has grown fruiting plants using passive hydroponics to maturity in DE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
I don't totally understand the scientific talk, but keep on reading and soon, hoping it is before I start planting, it will make better sense to me.

In last years garden, I broke off a medium branch from my Sweet Basil plant. I didn't know if it would work, but just stuck in into the ground and mostly forgot about it. Did the same with one of my favorite tomatoes. They both grew wonderfully.

Would DE be a good way to increase your plants this way, say start of few of your more rare / limited seed and when they reach a certain size, pot up a few of the stems? Have you done a lot of this sort of experience Levet or anyone else working with DE?

Yes, I say start a new thread I'm for that.
You can root cuttings in granular DE, just like you can root cuttings in any medium that holds moisture, even plain water. Tomato and basil are pretty easy to root from cuttings any way you do it. I don't believe there is anything special about DE in that regard.
Old January 3, 2013   #251
JoParrott

How about part DE & part potting mix to sprout seeds? Or is pure DE better? I will soon begin my sowing of tomato & pepper seeds. Maybe I will test more than one medium and compare.
Old January 3, 2013   #252
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
How about part DE & part potting mix to sprout seeds? Or is pure DE better? I will soon begin my sowing of tomato & pepper seeds. Maybe I will test more than one medium and compare.
I like the pure DE for seed starting but prefer a mix or regular potting soil when potting up to larger pots. I have much better germination and fewer problems with damping off with the pure DE.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2013   #253
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
I'm already on it Jo. Started my Onion seeds a few days ago.
I'm will be comparing 5 different mediums this time with 3 different Onion cultivars.

Ultrasorb DE
Optisorb DE
Jiffy Mix
2:1 Mix of Jiffy Mix & Optisorb
2:1 Mix of Optisorb & Coir
Old January 3, 2013   #254
JoParrott

Thanks, Ray- this is really interesting-
Old January 3, 2013   #255
nativeplanter
Tomatovillian™

I've been eager to try using DE this year, then I remembered - I like to pre-sprout my tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants on wet paper towels on a plate on top of the warm cable box. Normally I just tuck them into the seed starting mix with the root pointing down once they start. I assume this would work with the DE as well - thoughts?
nativeplanter is offline   Reply With Quote