Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 27, 2011   #241
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

http://news.discovery.com/tech/amazo...#mkcpgn=twnws1

here's an expensive book. Could be a related reason on some of those prices we see on it.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2011   #242
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

Default Caolyn's Book

Seed Savers Exchange still seems to have it. My copy is on its way! Yea!

http://www.seedsavers.org/Items.aspx?hierId=62
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2011   #243
cloz
Tomatovillian™

I just received my copy from Tomato Growers Supply Co today. So obviously they must still have some copies. Ordered a few seeds for next year at the same time.
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2011   #244
Aphid
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn ,, I use an envelope you mailed that contained Purple Dog Creek as a bookmark ,, kinda like having an autograph, a cherished memento.

If I ever trade or acquire seed from you again ,,could you autograph the seed pack ?

btw the purple dog creek is doing pretty good ,, just waiting for them to blush !
Aphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2011   #245
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphid View Post
Carolyn ,, I use an envelope you mailed that contained Purple Dog Creek as a bookmark ,, kinda like having an autograph, a cherished memento.

If I ever trade or acquire seed from you again ,,could you autograph the seed pack ?

btw the purple dog creek is doing pretty good ,, just waiting for them to blush !
I used a seed pack as a book mark? Whoa, what was the bookmark marking, surely not abook.

Sure I can autograph a seed pack for you if you participate in my seed offer again. You just have to remind me when you send your SASE.
Old June 29, 2011   #246
JWWC
Tomatovillian™

No kidding, I started gardening last year, and delayed in getting the book, now I can't it for the right price anywhere. sigh. I'll just have to leave it up to fate. I just wish they had it at the library so I could at least LOOK at it.... oh well....
JWWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2011   #247
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

check with http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/ 19.50 no shipping charge. You do have to mail them a check, but that's probably why they still have it, along with not coming up on "shopping" searches. I got mine a few months ago now.
Old July 2, 2011   #248
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Good thing I sold all mine for $199.99 or I'd owe you $300,000 ha ha -
great book I got it in 2000 and have worn it out - bought Amy's book too - more tomato varieties and good pics but I wish her tastes were more like yours - she doen't like a lot that I do - but her excellents are all a good bet -

now a ?? I have had for years - the lime green salad, green grape, green grape original ,verde claro, green zebra are all from Tom Wagner - right and he has some new ones too

I have noticed that some places say det and others indet like you do for green grape and green zebra - mine have always grown ind or in the least compact indeterminate so are the ones that are listed to be det much different - are they different or just people don't know a det from a compact det?? Have you or anyone you know tried trialed the "New Green Zebra" ?
Tom used to live in Bakerfield for years then kind of dropped out and went into reasearch/deveopment/speaking for his taters and maters and moved somplace in N Washington - do you still keep in touch with him? doyou know of any new mater projects

Thanks
Dennis
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2011   #249
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbigfish View Post
Good thing I sold all mine for $199.99 or I'd owe you $300,000 ha ha -
great book I got it in 2000 and have worn it out - bought Amy's book too - more tomato varieties and good pics but I wish her tastes were more like yours - she doen't like a lot that I do - but her excellents are all a good bet -

now a ?? I have had for years - the lime green salad, green grape, green grape original ,verde claro, green zebra are all from Tom Wagner - right and he has some new ones too

I have noticed that some places say det and others indet like you do for green grape and green zebra - mine have always grown ind or in the least compact indeterminate so are the ones that are listed to be det much different - are they different or just people don't know a det from a compact det?? Have you or anyone you know tried trialed the "New Green Zebra" ?
Tom used to live in Bakerfield for years then kind of dropped out and went into reasearch/deveopment/speaking for his taters and maters and moved somplace in N Washington - do you still keep in touch with him? doyou know of any new mater projects

Thanks
Dennis
Yes, all the ones you named were bred by Tom but I don't know one called Green Grape Original. And there are others that he bred long ago as is true of the ones listed. Look at my next seed off here at Tville in that regard.

The Green Grape that Tom bred WAS indet, and I've explained this in another thread here, so will be brief. At about the same time he was in Holland and saw some det GG plants in a greenhouse there I was getting det plants here. And told Tom about that. When I was in Pasadena at Hortus Nursery in the early 2000's Tom drove down from Bakersfield and brought me two plants he said were indet, but they turned out not to be.

When Tom was in Bakersfield he was still doing lots of crosses at other places and only moved to WA b'c he got sponsorship from a potato company.

I've known Tom since about 1990 and spent a long time talking with him in Pasadena, but for several reasons I've chosen not to continue communicating with him.

I don't know what New Green Zebra is, probably one of the ones he listed in his thread here at Tville , still on the first page I think, where he had a master list and was also selling seeds for his newer varieties at about 10-15 seeds for $5, but a lot of folks who bought them didn't realize that they were genetically unstable, but are stepping up to the plate and working with them.

Does that answer all your questions? Ah, the photo in my book of Green Grape is when it was indet. But I and quite a few others have moved on from that one to Green Doctors and/or Green Doctors Frosted and I do like Tom's Verde Claro and expect to be able to list that one, as well, in my next seed offer. As courtesy I PMed Tom and told him what I was doing with some of the varieties he sent me for trial back in the mid-90's, 22 of them, of course he never replied, but he had asked me not to share seeds with anyone except one other person, and that was about 16 years ago and now many of those are available elsewhere. I kept my word, but 16 years is a very long time.
Old July 9, 2011   #250
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

mtbigfish
Quote:
bought Amy's book too - more tomato varieties and good pics but I wish her tastes were more like yours - she doen't like a lot that I do - but her excellents are all a good bet

Dennis, like you I have Carolyn's book too--it was a real help to me when I was just beginning to learn about heirlooms. Dr. Lyle, Opalka and Cherokee Purple are just a couple from her book that are a must have in my garden every year. I'm just getting around to trying some others from Carolyn's book this year like Reif Red Heart, German Red Strawberry and Amish Paste.

Your comment caught my eye because you mentioned "Amy's taste in tomatoes" could you explain that in more detail--I was thinking of buying her book (also her squash book, too) but I want to see how you describe her taste in tomatoes. I think Carolyn likes a slightly more acidic tomato so maybe Amy likes a more sweeter/fruity tomato?

Thanks.

Sandra
Sunsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2011   #251
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Sandra _ I have both books and think you are correct in your assesment. Linda
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2011   #252
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I think Carolyn likes a slightly more acidic tomato so maybe Amy likes a more sweeter/fruity tomato?

Acidic to me means a more aggressive somewhat tarter taste and that kind of taste is not my preference. There's really little difference in the pH of tomato varietiesm with few exceptions.

I don't like sicky sweet varieties either; I want a good balanced flavor.

If you look at the thread, a sticky, on Why the SSE Message Site was Down, you'll see a post there from me describing how Amy used to drive up to my tomato field almost every year, label some fruits and take them home to get out the seeds.

And having been to her gardens in the past and seeing what she grows I can't say she grows primarily sweet varieties.

But that all transpired quite a few years ago and the Amy I once knew from about 1991 is today not the same as she was then, aside from any tomato taste preferences.
Old July 9, 2011   #253
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Just noting that I got an e=mail from Joanne at SSE asking about the availability of my book b'c they wanted to reorder and could get no more and she said in the e-mail that they had 3 copies left, and that was yesterday.

Someone said that Sandhill still might have some copies as well.

And neither of those places would bump up the prices as so many others have done.
Old July 9, 2011   #254
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

I mentioned Sandhill, because I got it from them a while back. I emailed them first, to confirm they still had it, since not being a web based business that would have "out of stock" come up automatically, I didn't want to send a check then find out later they were out. No idea how many they have left, but they do not charge for shipping, their 19.50 price is automatically below what most others were charging before it started running out and things got crazy. If anyone still wants the book, I'd say check with sandhill that they have it and send your order right away. When these last few reasonable, but harder to find dealers run out, which might happen suddenly if one of the amazon/ebay dealers finds them, you will be out of luck.
Old July 9, 2011   #255
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I think Carolyn likes a slightly more acidic tomato so maybe Amy likes a more sweeter/fruity tomato?

Acidic to me means a more aggressive somewhat tarter taste and that kind of taste is not my preference. There's really little difference in the pH of tomato varietiesm with few exceptions.

I don't like sicky sweet varieties either; I want a good balanced flavor.

If you look at the thread, a sticky, on Why the SSE Message Site was Down, you'll see a post there from me describing how Amy used to drive up to my tomato field almost every year, label some fruits and take them home to get out the seeds.

And having been to her gardens in the past and seeing what she grows I can't say she grows primarily sweet varieties.

But that all transpired quite a few years ago and the Amy I once knew from about 1991 is today not the same as she was then, aside from any tomato taste preferences.

Yeah, that will teach me to post in a thread just because the subject looks interesting, ha! When you first login here there's a list of the 5 latest threads posted in--that's how I ended up making a post here. Who do I think I am to speak for you telling someone what tomatoes appeal to your palate. Apologies.

I've just spent the better part of 2 hours reading the thread you referenced and then doing some google work and yes, this Goldman is not someone whose book I would pay 10 cents for and who cares what kind of tomatoes she likes. Google also produced a letter by Whealy--sha-zam--who knew there was such drama in the tomato garden. I'll try to do better job keeping on on the goings-on, the behind the scene stuff. Maybe I'll come here just to read and not post--seems the best way. I've got some great tomatoes growing this year and don't need a book to tell me which are good. If I really need some info PM's work just fine.

All the best to you.

Some google stuff I turned up--this must be what I was missing out on, not sure though:
http://www.pacificrimcoins.com/pacri...racy-un-treaty

http://helvena.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/seed-savers/
Sunsi is offline   Reply With Quote