Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 27, 2018   #2476
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I got all the stuff I did permitted and inspected with my own drawings.
Passed with good complements on professionalism and flying colors.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018   #2477
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

In Houston, they used to have what were called badges for tow truck operators and taxi cab's. You couldn't operate either without a badge on the vehicle. The city limited the number of each which could operate within city limits. In some ways, when an operator wanted to quit the business or retire, he or she sold the badge along with the vehicle. The badge was usually worth more than the vehicle.

In someways, they applied the same process to licensed trades people. You had to be trained, pass tests, serve apprenticeships; and posses a license to perform your trade. The problem was the fact that they limited the number of licenses which were active at any given time. If you wanted to work as an electrician or own an electrical company, you often had to operate under a license owned by someone else and pay them for it's use. When an electrical company owner wanted to retire, he sold his company and his license. The license usually cost more than the company. The practice was ruled unconstitutional and people today can meet all the qualifications and receive a license to operate.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2018   #2478
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I live on a country road that has always been a dumping ground for unwanted animals for as long as I can remember. My grandparents had dogs all my life, and I think all of them were either dumped or the neighbor's pets that preferred to live with them. They never bought a dog, never went to the shelter to adopt one, but also never turned one away, either.

This little guy was thrown out in the road with a bag of trash about three days ago. He has been in the bushes mewing intermittently since then. Both my neighbor and I put food and water out for him, but there are lots of critters out here, so it's hard to tell if he got any. This morning he was mewing again, and I saw some orange fuzz in the poison ivy. He spat a little, but was too weak to put up much of a fight. At the moment, he has discovered he likes my lap much more than life as a wild cat.

He's tiny, 4-6 weeks old I would guess. I think he is eating solid food, but I should probably moisten it a little for him. I'm much more of a dog person than a cat person, but I do have an affinity for animals that were discarded by foolish, ignorant people. That's why I have the shepherd in my avatar pic, who by the way doesn't seem to mind the kitten at all. I think animals that were once abandoned are able to appreciate their owners on a higher level than they would otherwise. I'm sure we will all be close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bernie1.jpg (121.1 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg bernie2.jpg (156.0 KB, 100 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2018   #2479
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Good on you Cole! You ended another obscure suffering.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2018   #2480
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Cole,

Looks like you got a cutie on your hands. And I think most rescued animals know they have it good when they finally feel "at home". My guess this little one is going to bond to you and your shepherd quickly since he's so tiny. Might even been more like a dog in its mannerisms, like mine was.

Congratulations on the newest member of your family. And Bravo for continuing the tradition set by your parents of taking in animals in need.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2018   #2481
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

What a cutie! How lucky he is and I bet that in time you will feel that you are just as lucky.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2018   #2482
salix
Tomatovillian™

Bless your generous heart, Cole. He/she looks very like a tiny orange cat that emerged from the bushes at our old home. She was starving, had been eating grass and twigs, I think, judging from her scant 'output'. Took her in, fed her and loved her. When she was a bit fitter, we took her to the vet for shots and eventually, when much fitter, had her spayed. Turned out she was at least a year old and had had at least one litter! We too lived at the end of a country road which was popular for dumping unwanteds. I will bet her latest litter was dumped with her. Just thinking about the type of person who would do such a thing makes me see red.

At any rate, "Pumpkin" was the most grateful cat ever, you could hear her purr from several rooms away! And she got along well with the other 4...
Old August 2, 2018   #2483
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Good for you, Cole!

And the kitty is quite cute and cuddle worthy!

Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #2484
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Keep him with you at all times and he will be like a dog.
Cats are great.

Worth
Old August 3, 2018   #2485
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

My wife and i adopted two kitties last year from the pound. They are terrific pets and a BIG part of our family. It is great to see your new family member. Congrats on saving him/her. An honor to know you Cole.
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #2486
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. Dog and cat are getting along well. Dog is a little freaked out when the cat tries to nurse off of her, but other than that, they are doing well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Resized_20180803_125841_5504.jpeg (256.3 KB, 71 views)
Old August 3, 2018   #2487
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I think animals that were once abandoned are able to appreciate their owners on a higher level than they would otherwise. I'm sure we will all be close.
I definitely think there is something to that. A few years back my dad lost his springer while walking up in the hills of Schuylkill Co. (coal country, PA). A flash storm came on, the woods got loud, and the dog didn't come back. Three days of bad weather ensued. He left his coat, and later took some food and water up, but all that did in coal cracker country was cost him a good coat and some tupperware dishes. Seriously, someone stole them. Same type of people dumping animals on your road. Dog was gone Thurs to Tues until someone answered his lost dog ad in the paper. He bought the dog as a 5-6 yr old and it had never been a strong bond, but after that, the dog was very happy to see him, each and every time. A few nights in the woods with coyotes and bears will do that.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #2488
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

We had a flea bath today. I was worried he would claw me to pieces, but he did not seem to mind. He looked like a little tiger swimming in my kitchen sink. He did have a few fleas, but I think I got them all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38270364_10103488904220147_7699027107724132352_n.jpg (139.2 KB, 66 views)
Old August 4, 2018   #2489
imp
Tomatovillian™

I suspect your new kitten is about 4 weeks old, due to the eye color and the fact he wants to nurse. Moisten the food for sure as kittens often do not drink enough water, especially at this age. If possible, get some kitten milk replacer, maybe a couple cans, to help tide him over a bit, no bottle needed, just put on his moistened food. Walmart often carries it.

Cole, thank you for recusing him and for being a good person. You touch my heart.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2018   #2490
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have raised kittens that were dumped before their eyes were open and their ears were folded back.
To get them to go potty you have to wipe their rear ends with a warm moist cloth.
Or lick it, I prefer the former as apposed to the latter.
Then if you constantly wipe then down all over with a warm moist cloth they will be trained to know how to clean them selves.
Then there is the weening thing from the bottle.
Yes I guess I am a self appointed expert on raising small baby animals too.
Sorry but I have done it many times from baby birds to piglets and calves.
My favorite was a baby dove that fell out of its nest.
I gave it flight training lessons and everything.
Guess what I couldn't get rid of it.
That darn thing stayed with me every where I went even outside.